Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

USB IR webcam

Big Bri 15 16.1k United Kingdom
5 Jul 2013 12:33PM
Can anyone recommend a webcam that connects via USB (or USB plus wifi) that has genuine IR night vision (not just a bunch of bright LEDs on the front), at a reasonable price (ie. say less than 50 quid)?

Ta very much

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

5 Jul 2013 12:54PM
You may not find a ready IR webcam, but it is quite easy to make one from any webcam. You will find plenty of manuals for it on the Internet. Usually it is a half an hour job with household instruments used.
Ade_Osman 13 4.5k 36 England
5 Jul 2013 1:06PM
Can I ask what they are for Bri???
Big Bri 15 16.1k United Kingdom
5 Jul 2013 1:09PM
It's for watching / recording the goings on in my garden at night (hedgehogs etc). I've looked at the standalone ones that record to a media card, but I want to stream a live feed via my server.
Ade_Osman 13 4.5k 36 England
5 Jul 2013 1:19PM
The same as mine then Smile

I use the ones that only glow very softly, but they don't bother the Hedgehogs, Foxes or the Wood Wice......Here's a very basic one camera kit that will get you started that comes complete with a USB Capture device, though you may need to buy an extra long power lead depending on where you want to site the camera.

See http://www.spycameracctv.com/spycamera/usb-receiver-wireless-day-night-infra-red-camera

This system allows you to add 3 extra cameras depending on your requirements, but be aware it will only allow you to watch one feed at a time......

Our's is on 24/7 see Ade's Garden & Hedgehog Cams though you'll have to wait till darkness falls tonight to see night-time performance.....It's good enough for my needs.
Coventryphotog Junior Member 3 149 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2013 3:22PM
You can use any ir camera, just run it through a composite to usb converter - I use an old Hauppauge usb tv box, which does the same job..... I think maplins do the converters cheap.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.