Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Use a contactless debit card? .....Read this

hobbo Plus
7 1.2k 2 England
6 Dec 2018 8:05AM
As a long time oldie I use a consessionary bus pass for all my local travel....you all know the drill ?

Hop on the bus, wallet in left hand ...pass in right hand, ready to place on the bus card reader..it goes BEEP and your ticket is issued...no problem at all until the other week that is...

On receiving my end of November bank statement, I noted that the bus company had deducted the £3 fare, from my...Contactess Debit card, that nestled in my wallet, held at least a foot away from the bus card reader.

This annoyed and horrified me, because of the potential for real theft of quantities of small amounts from unsuspecting people.

I spent 15 minutes at 12 p a minute explaining to the bus company...they are investigating....My bank has vanished from my local high street, so a bus trip took me to the only branch in my area...

The rep, tried to tell me that it just couldnít happen.....until I showed him the very clear evidence....he then kept a queue waiting for 15 minutes while he typed my complaint and compensation claim....I should receive an official response in 48 hrs. But what he said next, made me very angry indeed......"Why are you making such a fuss over £3 ?...... I was spitting feathers at this point....it wasnít his money....it was MINE, kept on my behalf in his bank....
I see many consessionary-pass users, placing their whole wallet or purse on a bus card reader....this is asking for an unprotected card to be charged instead....£3 may not be much today....but multiply it by hundreds and it does...especially if no individual makes a fuss.

I have acquired a Faraday wallet blocking card now......Faraday wallets and purses are available..

I am amazed that my contactless card was in my wallet, held at least a foot away as I used my free bus pass.

Sorry this is so long...but it is important....if it happens to you....MAKE A FUSS !

Hobbo

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

6 Dec 2018 9:01AM
That's a horror story, and the fact that it was "only" 3 quid is neither here nor there. Thanks for the warning.
EddieAC Plus
13 2.2k 2 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2018 9:09AM

Quote:......"Why are you making such a fuss over £3 ?......

Because if you use the bus everyday like I used to do then it could be £15 per week with your monthly statement showing £60+.

My wallet is now old and tatty so I will look into one of those wallets soon.
Nikonuser1 Plus
6 157 16 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2018 9:10AM
Agree with Alan here, how safe are contactless Debit Cards really????
SlowSong Plus
10 7.8k 30 England
6 Dec 2018 9:12AM
There are signs up everywhere indicating that we should keep our contactless cards and travel cards apart exactly because this sort of thing can happen. The same with keyless car door fobs which should be kept well away from the car, preferably stored within a Faraday bag. If we follow these simple instructions we should be OK.
Tianshi_angie 3 2.2k England
6 Dec 2018 10:15AM
I do sympathise - but you are lucky in two ways - first that it was 'only £3', the horror of the 118 telephone calls being £16 for 7 seconds beggars belief, and also that you have a bus to get on. The bus service in this area was cancelled some 18 months ago so if you don't drive then it is taxi only or good friends.
thewilliam2 1 1.0k
6 Dec 2018 10:42AM
Banks used to be run by "accountant types" who demanded that the books balance exactly and a shortage of a few pence would have resulted on a search that might have lasted several hours.

Since Fred Goodwin, banks no longer care about their customers. We're just seen as raw material for their money-making schemes!
6 Dec 2018 12:48PM
Quite a number of banks allow you to opt out of having a contactless card so worth checking if you are worried.
lemmy 11 2.7k United Kingdom
6 Dec 2018 2:18PM
I find contactless cards very handy but keep mine and my transport passes in a shielded wallet. That way what happened here cannot happen, since you must take a card out to use it and the ones in the wallet are shielded.
6 Dec 2018 2:22PM
...And you should change who you bank with- the comment you received from your bank rep was disgraceful, and staggeringly unprofessional. Presumably you demanded to see the Manager at once?
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
6 Dec 2018 2:59PM
This is old news.
Cotactless cards have erroneously been read by various wrong devices for years.
There was even some scaremongering in the papers that thieves could use a card reader to empty your bank account by brushing past you in the street.
I'm not sure that that story holds water but the technology probably exists.
KenTaylor Plus
14 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2018 3:23PM
Something Martin Lewis would enjoy having a stab at oerhaps,although I recall similar reports of it occuring when it was introduced,
I see Sweden has now gone cashless but not syre how far that goes,

I only carry a Debit card with me shopping, I shall try and it a foot away next time I use it , We are asked to swith banks if not happy,
I shall try using it a foot away next, time I use it
Dave_Canon 12 1.4k United Kingdom
6 Dec 2018 3:55PM
I heeded the many warnings a few years ago and keep my contactless cards in a shielded wallet. When travelling by bus I take out my pass and transfer to a pocket and normally only return it to my wallet when the journey is complete. Normally, you would need to be inches from the reader for it to read your card. You may not like this but, I would suggest that your wallet was much closer to the reader than you suggest or did you unintentionally get out you contactless card rather than your pass?

Dave
banehawi Plus
14 1.9k 3949 Canada
6 Dec 2018 4:05PM
I dont know if theres a difference in technology between Canada and the UK, - most likely not, but here the contactless card must be 4cm or closer to work. In fact, I find that with many terminals, the TAP feature fails anyway, and the card needs to be inserted.

Some time back, as part of a tech trial where I worked, we tested this exhaustively, and the cards would never communicate unless closer than 4cm

Any spec I read shows that the ISO spec distance is 3cm. So at 3 feet, - thats an issue, and perhaps, inadvertently it was closer for a brief period?

Or, you have an RFID card that uses a different spec.
hobbo Plus
7 1.2k 2 England
6 Dec 2018 4:23PM

Quote:I heeded the many warnings a few years ago and keep my contactless cards in a shielded wallet. When travelling by bus I take out my pass and transfer to a pocket and normally only return it to my wallet when the journey is complete. Normally, you would need to be inches from the reader for it to read your card. You may not like this but, I would suggest that your wallet was much closer to the reader than you suggest or did you unintentionally get out you contactless card rather than your pass?

Dave

You would be surprised at how many have asked the same question....my bus pass is kept in a completely separate part of my wallet....so I would never do that.....I may be old but not daft 😬

When I first touched the bus reader, itís back lights were red, it did nothing....the driver flipped a switch, then after the light turned green the machine issued a ticket on being touched with my conssessionary pass.
I can only assume that the machine charged the debit card in my wallet as I was attempting to get a ticket ....My bank statement shows the transaction very clearly, so it really happened....I havenít paid a bus fare since before I retired 15 yrs ago.
My wallet was in my left hand all the time, I was attempting to get the pass to work....

Hobbo

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.