Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Use a contactless debit card? .....Read this

lemmy 11 2.7k United Kingdom
6 Dec 2018 6:13PM
About 5,000,000,000 contactless card transactions were made in 2017, that'll be in excess of 6 or 7 billion this year. It would be pretty odd of there were no glitches in that number.

The range of NFC is usually about 4cm absolute max but maybe it can vary according to the technology used in the receiver. It is very easy to shield the cards and there is no onus on anyone to accept or use one. It's hard to see what else could be done, which is no help if it happens to you.

I use my phone for contactless payments quite a lot - that's very handy, too. There's always a danger in moving money - cash used to get nicked all the time. It seems to me the risk involved is worth the extra convenience provided you take reasonable precautions. Most people seem to agree judging by the take-up and growth.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2018 6:35PM
Banks are only ever looking on how to shave of a bit of your money every time they touch it. They automate the hell out of everything and offer no real customer service if your question does not help them.
In branch staff have a hell of a job dealing with frustrated customers.
SlowSong Plus
10 7.8k 30 England
6 Dec 2018 10:06PM
Someting funny going on in the threads. This is yet another one i can't read on my tablet.
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
6 Dec 2018 10:35PM
Following on from Chris's comment above, I can see the thread on my tablet but there's no option to change pages.
I can acccess this one from an emailed link but can't access any previous ones.
Conversely, I cana access the first one via the other emailed link but can't then scroll to this, or subsequent, ones.
Carabosse 15 41.2k 270 England
7 Dec 2018 2:46AM
I keep my contactless debit card at home unless I specifically go to draw money out of an ATM.

The only payment card I carry is a credit card. It is contactless but I have always reckoned at least you have a period between the transaction and the payment date - and the statement arrives before that date - so you have a change to challenge any oddities before your bank account is debited.

I keep the credit card in a wallet, and my travel card + driving licence in a separate holder - and the wallet and holder are in separate pockets.

RFID fraud is said to be a myth and RFID protection wallets etc just a rip-off. Plenty of articles online, e.g. this one .
hobbo Plus
7 1.2k 2 England
7 Dec 2018 7:25AM
Further to all of this...

I have just given up at this point.......because there was a time, in a small town...when a bank branch ( one of three or more, complete with an efficient staff plus a manager, would be there for you.....in the past I received huge help when I was acquiring our first house, first car and then setting up and maintaining a small business.....they went out of their way to steer me along the right financial pathways for many years.

When the Midland became HSBC.....I changed to Nat-West....who at our once main branch gave a better than average service across the board.....but....it vanished from our high street almost two years ago.

Now, if I have cheques to pay in, or other business (as for this complaint) I have a bus journey of five miles, to go to a dark corner of a shopping arcade, where there are three paying in machines, a counter plus three, or at the most four staff... one stands by the machines to assist those who are uncertain...the other manís the tills..cash in cash out.....the third sits behind a large computer screen, awaiting people like me.

i have spotted a fourth person, but she seems to hide in an office to one side........they just arenít interested in a pensioner who had had £3 taken from his account....the clerk who dealt with me...said he could have just given me my £3 from petty cash .....but I stood my ground to ensure that my complaint went further up the chain of command

I was promised a response within 48 hours.....nothing yet.

On the other hand, and on a very positive note...the local rep for the bus company couldnít have been more pleasant or efficient....she showed true concern, gave me lots of her time, ensuring that my paperwork went to head office pronto.....

I await results with great interest.....but not much hope.....

Thank you all for you kind words and concerns, I am just spreading the word.....that no one cares, if cash is stolen from your contactless cards.

Hobbo
cats_123 Plus
14 4.9k 28 Northern Ireland
7 Dec 2018 8:03AM
Most bus passengers here just place their purses/ wallets directly on the reader...bet many don't check their bank statements!!

I carry a special card in my wallet that is said to disable these readers... whether it does is another matter!

A salutory lesson 😀
thewilliam2 1 1.0k
7 Dec 2018 10:57AM
[quotei have spotted a fourth person, but she seems to hide in an office to one side........they just arenít interested in a pensioner who had had £3 taken from his account....the clerk who dealt with me...said he could have just given me my £3 from petty cash .....but I stood my ground to ensure that my complaint went further up the chain of command

I was promised a response within 48 hours.....nothing yet.

Sometimes, it's important not to let the small matters go because the situation will escalate if we do nothing. I remember a piece about Allied prisoners during the Korean War. Many Americans were "converted" to communism because they gave way on small matters and the Chinese took bigger steps as the situation progressed. The Turkish CO told the camp Commandant that he should never address his men directly but only through him. If they shot him, the guards should speak to the Turkish prisoners via the new senior officer and when there are two left alive, speak to the junior via the senior. No Turkish prisoners were "converted".
Ross_D 4 785 1 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2018 11:43AM
Those of us of a certain age (Wink) will remember those counterfoil machines when the only security check for your credit card was if your signature on the back of the card matched your signature on the counterfoil !
thewilliam2 1 1.0k
7 Dec 2018 1:04PM
In the good ol days, banks were choosy when it came to giving out credit-cards so there were fewer of them.

We used to have a monthly printed list of known "bad" cards and had to phone for authorisation of any transaction above our "floor limit". Every now and again, that floor limit might reduce to zero so that every transaction had to be checked.

These days, with the huge volume of transactions and substantial commission income, the bean-counters have probably calculated that it's better to allow a percentage of fraudulent transactions, especially when it's the merchant that picks up the bill!

lemmy 11 2.7k United Kingdom
7 Dec 2018 2:36PM

Quote:Those of us of a certain age (Wink) will remember those counterfoil machines when the only security check for your credit card was if your signature on the back of the card matched your signature on the counterfoil !
I remember it well! I went our for lunch in Chinatown with my brother and we split the bill as usual. The waiter gave is the wrong chits, so that I signed his and he mine. All went through without hitch. The next time, we did it again but on purpose. It all went through again. My brother's signature is utterly different from mine, plus he uses initials and name, I use my full name. We are with different banks, That was how it was in the good(?) old days.

Back in the late 60's I had a horrendous fraud on my bank account. The bank, Lloyd's in the Strand were adamant the fault was mine. My accountant and I eventually proved it was nothing to do with me and threatened legal action. The bank backed down and re-instated my money. When I hear people talk about their 'proper' banks in the old days....really?
aftertherain 14 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2018 3:13PM
I have remote car keys that can be cloned and the car stolen.
I read about the Faraday thing and got a wee pouch from Ebay. Didn't look up to much and I wondered if it actually made any difference.
Opened the car and automatically put the keys inside the pouch, car wouldn't start and I got the message that the key was not inside the car.
Took them from the pouch and hey presto the car started.

So then I got these paper things from Ebay they slide into your wallet, don't look much but they are very effective and very cheap.
(2 RFID Blocking Wallet Cards Ė Better than a Sleeve. Protect your Credit Card

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.