Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Using a monopod at Chester zoo.

MikeRC Plus
12 3.6k United Kingdom
6 Oct 2007 9:21AM
Hi....I'm looking to visit Chester zoo for the last time this year, I usually spend most of the day inside in the bird house and in the past I have struggled to get acceptable pics.

A friend has offered me the loan of a monopod.
D'you think this will be advantageous and are there likely to be any restrictions on it's use thereof.

....thanks....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BEVZED 10 1.1k United Kingdom
6 Oct 2007 9:31AM
Don't know if they have any restrictions but a mono is far friendlier to use - doesn't trip people up like a tripod!

Check your lens though - my 18-200 VR says turn off when on a pod, numbskull here didn't and lost all her shotsSad Don't know why but it does affect the VR ones.

Beverley
Busseauboy 10 159 France
6 Oct 2007 11:47AM
Well, there you have it. Take two shots one with VR on the next with VR off and decide which method to adopt depending upon your result.

Have a good day.

**** M.
csurry 15 9.2k 92
6 Oct 2007 11:58AM
Generally lenses which suggest you turn off VR mean when on a tripod. A monopod is not as steady and you will possibly still get some movement, so VR on should not be a problem.

As I use a gimbal head on the tripod I also still use VR on this setup sometimes as again there is some movement of the lens during shooting.

Think **** has a good compromise, try both with and without.
MikeRC Plus
12 3.6k United Kingdom
6 Oct 2007 8:58PM

Quote:As I use a gimbal head on the tripod I also still use VR on this setup

...sort of belt and braces....

thanks everybody....Mike
csurry 15 9.2k 92
7 Oct 2007 10:51AM
Not really as the gimbal head is designed to allow flexibility of movement in a couple of planes, either to pan or follow movement up/down.

So as it does not cause me any issues to have VR on I leave it on. Also when shooting things like the squirrels the shutter speed can be as low as 1/30th second on a 300-400mm focal length, so i feel happier with the VR Smile
AidanT 10 49 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2007 12:18PM
Having visited Chester Zoo myself earlier in the year, I noticed that in their literature they state that commercial photographers are required to pay a fee and seek permission before taking photos.

If a member of staff sees you with a tripod or monopod there's a goodly chance they will assume your a pro photographer working for commercial gain so you may have a bit of trouble.

Hope this helps

Aidan
7 Oct 2007 6:23PM
I have used both my tripod and monopod at Chester zoo many times with no problems.

John
stevekhart 11 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2007 9:41AM
Just out of interest how does leaving the VR on ruin the pictures?
MikeRC Plus
12 3.6k United Kingdom
14 Oct 2007 6:25PM
Tried with and without the monopod...with and without the VR....
..... but sadly those terrific shots still eluded me.

thanks again though.....Mike
MartinWalker 10 160 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2007 11:18AM
so what shot DID you get??? and what were you trying for??
MikeRC Plus
12 3.6k United Kingdom
2 Nov 2007 8:57PM
Sorry Martin...just got back from 2 weeks in Kos and just seen your post.
I was after shots like "Kban" gets and "Maiwand" gets....why should they have all the best pictures..
...It's not fair....LOL

....Mike
Simon_Whitehouse 12 769 5 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2007 9:03PM
Try a tripod with a 322 head, used this many times there without probs.

Smithy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.