ZEISS Lens Discounts - Save Up To 220!

Using a monopod with Sigma 150-600mm contemporary lens on Canon70D


9 Dec 2015 1:53PM
Hi all, I don't post often but read the forums 2-3 times a day, they can be really useful for getting hints and tips (when the posters are not being facetious or trivial)!
Santa is going to be really kind this Christmas (with a lot of help from my lovely wife), I will be getting the Sigma 150-600 lens mentioned in the title. I know that Sigma recommend switching off Optical Stabilisation when the lens is mounted on a tripod, but I am unclear as to whether the same applies when used on a monopod (my reasoning, right or wrong is that there is still likely to be somee movement of the camera and lens when used on a monoopod).

I would be grateful to hear views of users who already have experience of a monopod set up as I can't yet test the set up myself - the wife has hidden the lens!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
9 Dec 2015 2:19PM
I use many lenses for what i shoot and would never use a monopod, I have two CF monopods and find them ok IF you don't have to pan, personally I think nothing is better than a decent mount and Gimbal.

You don't say "which" one you are getting, I use the sports and that can be used on a tripod with OS on as it has a Panning mode

and Mode 2 is ideal for panning shooting for motor sports etc. With Mode 2, the accelerator sensor works effectively to minimize blur while shooting by detecting whether the camera is positioned vertically or horizontally.

I use this on or off and have had no problems

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/150-600mm-f5-63-dg-os-hsm-s
User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
9 Dec 2015 2:23PM
276190_1449671007.jpg

User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
9 Dec 2015 2:28PM

Quote:I use many lenses for what i shoot and would never use a monopod, I have two CF monopods and find them OK IF you don't have to pan, personally I think nothing is better than a decent mount and Gimbal. If the subject is still, or coming towards you then ok, if it is like a car all over the place or an aircraft use a mount. Also it is heavy, you can leave a tripod standing, you can't a monopod. Also weight, will the monopod you have support that weight !

You don't say "which" one you are getting, I use the sports and that can be used on a tripod with OS on as it has a Panning mode

and Mode 2 is ideal for panning shooting for motor sports etc. With Mode 2, the accelerator sensor works effectively to minimize blur while shooting by detecting whether the camera is positioned vertically or horizontally.

I use this on or off and have had no problems, don't forget you will also need to buy the additional Sigma dock

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/sigma-usb-dock

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/150-600mm-f5-63-dg-os-hsm-s

9 Dec 2015 3:28PM
Thanks for your reply JR1

"You don't say "which" one you are getting, I use the sports and that can be used on a tripod with OS on as it has a Panning mode"

I stated in the topic title, the specific model "contemporary", it too has mode 2. It will mainly be used for wildlife when I don't wish to Take a tripod with me. I have a Manfrotto 290 carbon, which has a weight capacity of 5kg, so it will comfortably support my kit.

It's unlikely I'll be photographing any motor sports events but can foresee panning being used on birds in flight.

Looking at the photo you posted you must have a very tolerant wife Grin
User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
9 Dec 2015 4:33PM

Quote:Thanks for your reply JR1

"You don't say "which" one you are getting, I use the sports and that can be used on a tripod with OS on as it has a Panning mode"

I stated in the topic title, the specific model "contemporary", it too has mode 2. It will mainly be used for wildlife when I don't wish to Take a tripod with me. I have a Manfrotto 290 carbon, which has a weight capacity of 5kg, so it will comfortably support my kit.

It's unlikely I'll be photographing any motor sports events but can foresee panning being used on birds in flight.

Looking at the photo you posted you must have a very tolerant wife Grin



I must learn to read, sorry
User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
9 Dec 2015 4:34PM

Quote:Thanks for your reply JR1

"You don't say "which" one you are getting, I use the sports and that can be used on a tripod with OS on as it has a Panning mode"

I stated in the topic title, the specific model "contemporary", it too has mode 2. It will mainly be used for wildlife when I don't wish to Take a tripod with me. I have a Manfrotto 290 carbon, which has a weight capacity of 5kg, so it will comfortably support my kit.

It's unlikely I'll be photographing any motor sports events but can foresee panning being used on birds in flight.

Looking at the photo you posted you must have a very tolerant wife Grin



Been a single father of three disabled sons for 17 years when she walked out on them, DO NOT worry, we are very very happy. And I do NT get upset nor offended Smile Smile Smile

I have the gear I have because I shoot for Classic Cars magazine and others and am a freelance photographer and if I didn't I would have because I love photography
9 Dec 2015 5:12PM

Quote:[/Been a single father of three disabled sons for 17 years when she walked out on them, DO NOT worry, we are very very happy. And I do NT get upset nor offended Smile Smile Smile

I have the gear I have because I shoot for Classic Cars magazine and others and am a freelance photographer and if I didn't I would have because I love photography

You deserve your happiness, many more would have folded given half your misfortune, you deserve a medal. Delighted that you have found a hobby/career that clearly provides a great deal of pleasure. May that continue for you Smile

User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
9 Dec 2015 6:39PM
The reason I started JRS Photography (JR and Sons) was that because my sons have disabilities they can not find work, so self employment.

Thanks
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
9 Dec 2015 9:49PM
Your tolerance to adversity is evident on here JR.Smile
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
10 Dec 2015 9:04AM
My two pence worth here, there is no reason against using a monopod with that lens, Manfrotto do a nice little tilting monopod head that is worth adding.

A gimbal head is not very effective with a lens that extends when zooming as the centre of gravity is changing all the time.... They are recommended for long heavy lenses and lenses that do not extend when zooming.

Phil
User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
10 Dec 2015 12:38PM
A gimbal is fine for these lenses, even when I do zoom in and out the vertical adjustment is tight enough not to cause any problems at all, you are not constantly zooming in and out every few seconds and it takes no time at all to re balance if you need to, yes you can use a monopod, just get a decent one and don't try panning as it ends up in an arc not a level pan, remember cheap monopod means cheap.

Always try before buying which is why I suggest joining a club

I use them all the time and have no issues

276190_1449751063.jpg



276190_1449751094.jpg




Also check out

http://www.canadiannaturephotographer.com/tripod.html



Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
10 Dec 2015 1:25PM
The 'vertical adjustment' should not be tight, the whole idea of a gimbal is that you should be able to the camera and lens in any direction with simple pressure from your finger, it should then maintain any position without tightening any thing.

I have used gimbal heads for many years and would not use them with a lens that changes length when zooming.... The OP asked about using a lens he is buying on a monopod, he already has the monopod, all he needs to do is add the Manfrotto monopod tilt head and he will be good to go...
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
10 Dec 2015 3:45PM
I have always found that at any main sporting event, not boxing although you do see them, a monopod is only second to cameras in number.

To be honest if I had turned up at some with a tripod I'd have been holed out to the sidelines. There just isn't enough room for tripods in a first corner scrum or tennis court ladies knickers photo scramble. Wink
User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
10 Dec 2015 5:02PM

Quote:The 'vertical adjustment' should not be tight, the whole idea of a gimbal is that you should be able to the camera and lens in any direction with simple pressure from your finger, it should then maintain any position without tightening any thing.

I have used gimbal heads for many years and would not use them with a lens that changes length when zooming.... The OP asked about using a lens he is buying on a monopod, he already has the monopod, all he needs to do is add the Manfrotto monopod tilt head and he will be good to go...





I use it when panning if you look at what i do therefore I am happy with it as I use it, I do know how to use a gimbal

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.