ZEISS Lens Discounts - Save Up To 220!

Using a monopod with Sigma 150-600mm contemporary lens on Canon70D

keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
10 Dec 2015 5:12PM
Nobody doubts that, JR, but the the question concerns the use of a monopod and image stabilisation, which you quickly changed back to a "this what I've got" thread.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
10 Dec 2015 5:21PM

Quote:I use it when panning if you look at what i do therefore I am happy with it as I use it, I do know how to use a gimbal

You never explained how to shoot portrait format when a camera with a wide angle is mounted on a gimbal... I assume a levelling base as you are panning with the tilt function tightened down some? A monopod is a viable option and one that the OP has said he would prefer, I will often use a monopod with an adapted Manfrotto monopod tilt head with my 300/2.8 and I have no problem panning and tracking birds in flight, which btw is totally different to panning a car going round a track.
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
10 Dec 2015 5:30PM
To try and answer the OP, using my Sigma Macro lens on a monopod I find no problem leaving the OS on, as far as I know Sigmas OS unlike more recent Canon/Nikon versions does not sense that it is mounted on a tripod, so on a tripod I turn it off. On a monopod there will possibly be enough movement to justify leaving it on in either mode....

Phil
User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
10 Dec 2015 6:50PM

Quote:
Quote:I use it when panning if you look at what i do therefore I am happy with it as I use it, I do know how to use a gimbal

You never explained how to shoot portrait format when a camera with a wide angle is mounted on a gimbal... I assume a levelling base as you are panning with the tilt function tightened down some? A monopod is a viable option and one that the OP has said he would prefer, I will often use a monopod with an adapted Manfrotto monopod tilt head with my 300/2.8 and I have no problem panning and tracking birds in flight, which btw is totally different to panning a car going round a track.

You are 100% correct and I agree with all you say about the monopod, as for landscape to portrait, simple, rotate the lens in the lens collar
10 Dec 2015 7:11PM

Quote:To try and answer the OP, using my Sigma Macro lens on a monopod I find no problem leaving the OS on, as far as I know Sigmas OS unlike more recent Canon/Nikon versions does not sense that it is mounted on a tripod, so on a tripod I turn it off. On a monopod there will possibly be enough movement to justify leaving it on in either mode....

Phil04, thanks you've answered my original question perfectly. Not too long to wait now before I can get my hands on the 150-600mm lens to test in real life situations - c'mon Santa I can't wait Wink
10 Dec 2015 7:16PM

Quote:You are 100% correct and I agree with all you say about the monopod, as for landscape to portrait, simple, rotate the lens in the lens collar

On a wide angle? You see Phil was referring to people using a Gimbal for landscape work - which apparently is a thing.
peterjones 17 4.8k 1 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2015 7:55PM
I have a friend who is an excellent bird photographer who successfully mates a 500f/4 lens + gimbal + monopod with ease; he says it is an easier set up than a tripod because the whole ensemble is easier to carry and to move about fast however I prefer using my 500 with a tripod; in the end despite all the advice personal preference will always out.

Good luck with the excellent Xmas present .... Grin

Peter.
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
10 Dec 2015 8:18PM

Quote:You are 100% correct and I agree with all you say about the monopod, as for landscape to portrait, simple, rotate the lens in the lens collar

Thank you... I was however referring to an earlier post of yours where you stated that fellow club members were using gimbal heads for landscape work with a wide angle lens attached to the camera, with a wide angle how do you shoot portrait format?
11 Dec 2015 10:39AM
I will ask them and get their replies, and post back
11 Dec 2015 11:08AM
11 Dec 2015 11:45AM
This is what I use for those genuinely interested, I am not a landscape person but it is easily done, the Gimbal is so versatile, 8 for two

276190_1449834301.jpg

276190_1449834253.jpg

276190_1449834319.jpg

Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
11 Dec 2015 1:30PM
Interesting... I can see how it would be possible with a Sidekick, in fact I could do the same with my Tomahawk gimbal (A sexier sidekick type) but I would have to ask why, when you can simply remove the Sidekick and use the ball head and have more control...

Your solution looks a bit impractical as you only have pan and tilt, I can see a lot of faffing around adjusting the tripod legs to get a level horizon also looks a bit of a vibration amplifier, why spend a lot of money on a Gitzo and a Wimberley and then mount your camera on a cheap bit of bent aluminium. I think I will stick to a ball head or my geared head for that type of work.
11 Dec 2015 1:41PM
You could very cheaply mount a camera to a bobble hat but it would be a work around to a much simpler solution.
11 Dec 2015 1:46PM

Quote:You could very cheaply mount a camera to a bobble hat but it would be a work around to a much simpler solution.

I found a solution to your inane comments, hide member Smile
11 Dec 2015 1:48PM

Quote:Interesting... I can see how it would be possible with a Sidekick, in fact I could do the same with my Tomahawk gimbal (A sexier sidekick type) but I would have to ask why, when you can simply remove the Sidekick and use the ball head and have more control...

Your solution looks a bit impractical as you only have pan and tilt, I can see a lot of faffing around adjusting the tripod legs to get a level horizon also looks a bit of a vibration amplifier, why spend a lot of money on a Gitzo and a Wimberley and then mount your camera on a cheap bit of bent aluminium. I think I will stick to a ball head or my geared head for that type of work.

But as I said I don't shoot landscapes or portraits so for what little I do it is ok for what is 5 each and if you want the best it costs, there are plenty who shoot with 300mm primes on D3X and use a 20 monopod Wink, I don't smoke, drink, gamble (lottery etc) so and for two/three images a year, meh........... just bought another Gitzo (mountaineer) today that's me for Christmas

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.