Want to sell your photos? Get Started!

Using a monopod with Sigma 150-600mm contemporary lens on Canon70D

keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
11 Dec 2015 1:54PM
Then you won't hear me sigh as you let us know what you've now bought. Or when I link to the thread where you stated "I do landscapes"

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
11 Dec 2015 2:07PM
JR... I am questioning because on a couple of occasions you have advocated a gimbal as being a viable alternative to three way and ball heads, you stated that members in your camera club shoot landscapes with a wide angle mounted on a gimbal, turns out that they are using sidekicks, that is utter nonsense when you can simply remove the sidekick and use the ball head.

Your solution is impractical and I certainly would not recommend it to a more general photographer, it works for you, that is fine, but to advocate it to others, I think not...

Did we really need to know that you have been out spending more money, I could list all of my gear, but I am not interested in boasting.
User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
11 Dec 2015 2:16PM

Quote:JR... I am questioning because on a couple of occasions you have advocated a gimbal as being a viable alternative to three way and ball heads, you stated that members in your camera club shoot landscapes with a wide angle mounted on a gimbal, turns out that they are using sidekicks, that is utter nonsense when you can simply remove the sidekick and use the ball head.

Your solution is impractical and I certainly would not recommend it to a more general photographer, it works for you, that is fine, but to advocate it to others, I think not...

Did we really need to know that you have been out spending more money, I could list all of my gear, but I am not interested in boasting.

1, what other people do is up to them if they are fine using gimbals who are you and i to say they are wrong, wrong !, that is your opinion not theirs
2. I am happy with it, "read" I do 2/3 a year, I have B/S heads why should I carry and swap heads, if I shoot more landscapes it is not beyond intelligence to shoot landscape mode and crop.
3. I suggest you dont join the Nikon Facebook forum where a whole thread has just been started where everyone has laid out all their gear on the floor and photographed it, why "because people want to see it and are interested" I was told
4. Ugly hedgehog and MANY MANY other forums where after the comments in peoples footnotes all the gear they have they list, duh,

Finally you have said yourself

"I am questioning because on a couple of occasions you have advocated a gimbal as being a viable alternative to three way and ball head"

Yes, MY opinion, as you have yours, sorry, are you saying yours is the only one that counts, in future I will clear my posts with you to see that they are acceptable Smile Smile Smile
11 Dec 2015 2:20PM
And when it gets nicked the first item on the police evidence list will read "printout of Facebook photo showing stolen camera equipment"

Someone else will have to forward that highly inane comment. Wink
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
11 Dec 2015 2:24PM
Oh you mean gear snobbery...

I said that it works for you and that is fine...

OK go advertise what equipment you own on social media, then publish your address on the internet...

If you read my comments... but hey ho

Jeez I was being polite, I am beginning to think that you are having difficulty understanding what has been written.
14 Dec 2015 9:58AM
I hadn't read my initial post for some time as Phil04 had adequately and sensibly answered my query. Opening it this morning I was amused to see the bitchiness of many of the reply posts on pages 2-3 ( and we men criticise women)!!

This is what is poor about this otherwise excellent site and why I don't post often - jeez!!!!
14 Dec 2015 10:02AM
I think it's more exasperation than bitchiness
779HOB 7 1.2k United Kingdom
14 Dec 2015 5:15PM
I only use a mono-pod in my 400mm prime, would never even think about using a tripod with it. As Keith says there isn't room to use a tripod in most places I'd be using the 400. Oddly the only time I use a tripod is with my 17-35 when doing interiors in low light. For lenses like the 80-400 I just hand hold. So for the 160-600 I'd use a mono-pod.
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
15 Dec 2015 1:22AM

Quote:Hi all, I don't post often but read the forums 2-3 times a day, they can be really useful for getting hints and tips (when the posters are not being facetious or trivial)!
Santa is going to be really kind this Christmas (with a lot of help from my lovely wife), I will be getting the Sigma 150-600 lens mentioned in the title. I know that Sigma recommend switching off Optical Stabilisation when the lens is mounted on a tripod, but I am unclear as to whether the same applies when used on a monopod (my reasoning, right or wrong is that there is still likely to be somee movement of the camera and lens when used on a monoopod).

I would be grateful to hear views of users who already have experience of a monopod set up as I can't yet test the set up myself - the wife has hidden the lens!

It he thread seems have been hijacked by the "I've got all the kit , but ...... brigade Wink " so I've quoted the original post from Norman.

The answer is yes, it does work on a monopod. I'm not saying a monopod is ideal but in some circumstances it's all you have (restricted spaces) and its better than hand holding.

Tbh modern auto stabilisers tend to be ok on tripods too (not recommended), but I've in adverts toy left it on on occasion, and I can't see any difference ( even pixel peeping), enjoy your Christmas present Norman.
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
15 Dec 2015 1:30AM
Oh don't you love autocorrect in adverts toy = inadvertently ( the option to correct had timed out)
questech 11 1
10 Sep 2016 4:18AM
Hi

I come from the film world, but have also been getting paid for my commercial photography for some time now. Because of my film and product photography background, I'm no stranger to a tripod or other camera mounting equipment, but I see little value in a monopod.

I shoot my 150-600mm handheld mostly (wildlife, birds, airplanes) but if I wanted to lock the camera down on something, I would use a lightweight carbon tripod rather than a monopod. At least then you would have a solid platform.

I recently purchased a monopod as an experiment. I can be out for several hours holding that big lens, and although it doesn't bother me, I read about how much people loved their monopods and how they saved you from holding your camera and heavy lens the whole time you are shooting.

Well I noticed that I could get steadier shots hand held. With the monopod you can move forward, backward and side to side quite easily, which changes your focus point at close range, and framing at long focal lengths... So I threw the monopod in the trunk and never picked it up again... I would rather carry the weight rather than have less than tack sharp images Smile

JMHO... Anthony

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.