Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Using a Sigma 105mm Macro Lens on Nikon D7000 Body

KevinMW 14 14 Wales
22 Jul 2011 5:34PM
Hello All, Need some advice regarding an issue I seem to have with the combination of a new D7000 and a Sigma F2.8 105mm DG Macro lens.

For some reason, when I connect the lens to the D7000 Body, the camera does not recognise the lens. It is a Nikon Mount type ( and used regularly on the D80 I upgraded from last week ).

As soon as I stick a Nikkor lens (18~70mm) on, everything is fine. Once the Sigma is fitted, I get No response from the Camera.

I have checked the lens setting to ensure everything is set correctly and also checked the lens on the D80 to ensure it still works fine there.... No Problems.

Any help or advice would be most welcome, before I start the process of contacting Nikon/Sigma directly.

Thanks, Kevin MW

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeRC 15 3.6k United Kingdom
22 Jul 2011 5:46PM
I don't understand this stuff but is there not a twist thingy at the base of the lens and if this is not set right......
crookymonsta Plus
12 842 10 England
22 Jul 2011 6:05PM
I have exactly the same camera and lens and have absolutely no problem with them at all, so am baffled as to why you are having this problem. When fitting the lens are you getting a positive click and the button pop out when it is securely in position? I know this is pretty different to the connection on the D3100 I was using previously.
KevinMW 14 14 Wales
22 Jul 2011 6:11PM
Hi to Both,

I have tried setting the Aperture ring to Max and locking it and set Camera to Aperture Priority. I also checked that I fully locked the Lens in place. I have also double dhecked the lens on the D80 to ensure it still worked on there so I dont understand it either. In theory, there should be NO Issue. Looks like it may be a call to Nikon (or Sigma)?

Thanks for the comments.

Regards,

Kevin
crookymonsta Plus
12 842 10 England
22 Jul 2011 6:27PM
I was chuffed to find that the Sigma lens auto focusses on the D7000, which it wouldn't on the D3100 I had before, not that I use auto focus very often but it's nice to have the option. If it won't work in either auto or manual focus I would be inclined to contact Nikon first given that the Sigma works ok on another camera. Hope you get it sorted, it's a lovely combination.
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
22 Jul 2011 7:59PM
Try using the eraser end of a pencil to clean the copper contacts on both the lens mount on the camera and on the lens itself - it might just be a tiny bit of dirt messing up the connection between the two.

The only other issue I can think of is if you happen to have a much older version of the 105mm lens and that in the time since its release Nikon has made a change to its interface which the older sigma can't work with - rechipping (via sigma) would be the only approach to correct this problem and Sigma would be the best ones to contact.

I wouldn't bother talking to Nikon first since they won't support 3rd party products on their cameras.
LenShepherd 12 4.2k United Kingdom
22 Jul 2011 8:26PM
If it is an older version of the lens it may not be compatible with the D7000.
If this is the problem and you bought the lens new Sigma may upgrade it for free.
KevinMW 14 14 Wales
23 Jul 2011 2:53PM
Thanks for the additional advice.

Having returned to the retailer {The Camera Centre in Cardiff (& Newport) - Thanks for your help guys}, we found that the Macro lens I have (Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG EX) did not work on their store D7000's. They tried a Sigma lens they had in stock on both their D7000 and my D7000 and it worked. However, the Sigma lens they had was the latest version (Sigma 105mm F2.8D DG EX). The difference? A "D" Suffix after the F2.8.

It was suggested that I contact Sigma who could possibly do a Re-Chip of the lens to allow funtionality on the D7000. I also checked the Sigma Users UK website forums where someone also had an issue with their Sigma 105mm and the new D5100 body. They had their lens re-chipped and it now works on the D5100.

So it would appear that for those people with an older version of the Nikon Mount Sigma 105mm F2.8 Macro there may be issues so please be aware that you will have a problem with the combination if used with some of the newer Nikon DSLRs (D7000, D5100, D3100 etc).

I am now awaiting a reply from Sigma to see if I have the option of having the lens re-chipped to allow FULL funtionality with the D7000.

Thanks again for the responses and I hope that any information provided is helpful to other members with similar issues or planning to upgrade from older Nikon DSLRs to newer versions.

regards,

Kevin
Leif 15 777
23 Jul 2011 6:07PM
That is one reason why you might prefer a Nikon lens to a Sigma one. I believe Sigma will upgrade the chip for the original purchaser, but not if you bought the lens used. I assume you have to keep the receipt or have some proof of purchase? I think Tamron do not have compatibility issues, but someone will correct me if I am mistaken.
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
23 Jul 2011 7:08PM
Leif I think you mean that Sigma will free-rechip the lens under warranty for the original owner/purchaser whilst if you purchase second hand you'll have to pay for the chipping - though from memory the cost isn't that high for a re-chipping should they charge you
Leif 15 777
23 Jul 2011 9:01PM

Quote:Leif I think you mean that Sigma will free-rechip the lens under warranty for the original owner/purchaser whilst if you purchase second hand you'll have to pay for the chipping - though from memory the cost isn't that high for a re-chipping should they charge you

That is pretty much what I said, but yes as you say the upgrade is free for the original owner. I don't think it is under warranty as such, as the warranty is normally 1 year though they are currently giving a 3 year warranty. I've always understood the upgrade to extend beyond the warranty period, subject to the owner being the buyer. There is also the question of how long they will do this for, since they would need to keep stock.
mb2523 9 3
26 Jul 2011 8:26PM
i have the same lens it works great on my d90 ,but it fails on my d3100Sad
thanks guys for the info

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.