Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

using dslr for video

User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2012 1:39PM

Quote:Betamax failed because Sony refused to license it to other manufacturers, which was a bit stupid

?? They did licence it to other manufactures, NEC, Sanyo and Toshiba all licensed the technology. Sanyo produced about a dozen models; but let's not get bogged down with that.

In professional broadcast equipment it's very common to see TV cameras that have Sony bodies but Canon lenses.

http://hdcameraguide.com/blog/canon-captures-the-big-game/

9ltjqs7t.jpg
18-03-2012-13-36-27.jpg

In broadcast it seems that JVC, Panasonic and Sony compete to supply the bodies (sensor, video capture, processing, recording) and Canon dominate with lenses.
Steppenwolf 9 1.2k
18 Mar 2012 1:53PM

Quote:
?? They did licence it to other manufactures, NEC, Sanyo and Toshiba all licensed the technology. Sanyo produced about a dozen models; but let's not get bogged down with that.

They did, but it was too late by the time they saw their mistake - VHS had taken off. I never had a Betamax but they are the only video recorders that people will buy on ebay - they have a following. I had a MiniDisc recorder which I used to use to make the final version of my pop songs (all potential number ones if the record companies only knew what they were doing). I bought that recorder for 150 and then sold it (when Sony had stopped manufacture) on ebay for 160. They were great for editing.

Anyway this is not a Canon or Sony bashing thread. I think the OP has his answer. And I suspect that he won't be using the 7D for video much.
18 Mar 2012 2:48PM

Quote:I never had a Betamax but they are the only video recorders that people will buy on ebay - they have a following

Sorry but the ebay thing doesn't suggest a following. If your video tape library is VHS and you need a replacement player you can still buy a brand new VHS machine. If your library is Betamax and your vcr breaks then you have little choice but to take your chances on the second-hand market.
thatmanbrian 9 342 3 Spain
18 Mar 2012 5:33PM
As the OP may I say what a great thread this turned out to be! Very informative in all sorts of ways! And no, I won't be doing any serious movie work with my 7D!

I had Betamax and Philips 2000 recorders as well as VHS. I knew straight away that VHS would be the winner and wish I'd found a way to put serious money on it!! I used a Sony Betamax for a while in mobile broadcast TV. Can't remember but I think it was modified for pro use?
18 Mar 2012 5:53PM
That would have been Betacam that you would have been using - related to Betamax but not interoperable or compatible.
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
18 Mar 2012 5:54PM
Lots of superior technology has lost out because it did not gain sufficient commercial advantage to establish its superiority in a competitive market. Sometimes it mattered, sometimes, in retrospect, it didn't really matter too much.

Yes Betamax was technically better than VHS but VHS served the purpose adequately.

The failure of DVi was a loss at the time but would have been superseded within a few years anyway.

The one I regret most was the hugely superior BSB (remember the squariels) being trumped by a much poorer (technically) Sky. Imagine where satellite broadcasting might have been today if BSB had made it through the to analogue/digital conversion.

Another one that Sky shafted (in UK at least) was the original TiVo which was infinitely superior to the original Sky+ system but never really caught on in UK. (I see that Virgin are now resurrecting a derivative of it).
18 Mar 2012 6:04PM
Yes I've seen a lot more about TiVo recently. In the States I believe it's considered a must-have? Technology doesn't drive commercial success but marketing does! A bit like Windows dominating even though Linux is lighter and faster. If early Linux distros had made more of an effort earlier to emulate Window's ease of use it might have attracted more users and conversions of popular applications. But the geeks behind it wouldn't listen. Lucky that Steve Job, Wosniak, Gates and the rest did!
18 Mar 2012 8:24PM
The cross Microsoft had to bear for a long time was maintaining backward compatibility with DOS. Lots of corporations and public utilities had custom software that needed DOS and it had to work on their new PCs that came with Windows. Microsoft were a lot better in this respect than Apple who quickly abandoned their PowerPC users not long after jumping ship to Intel.

How much better Betamax was better than VHS is debatable, the picture wasn't better to the eye, on paper it was slightly better. The V2000 system with its flipover cassettes had better picture quality and from the start had noise free trick play (pause, slowmo, picture search)
18 Mar 2012 8:41PM
I agree, the VR2000 was excellent and I wish I'd kept it! At the time though, video libraries mainly went VHS which was a major factor in its success. I have always hated the clunkiness of VHS mechanics!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.