Using Filters - Help/Advice Needed

17 Jul 2008 10:12PM
I have just started to use some ND grad filters and need advice on how to use them. Do you take a meter reading then lock that exposure before fitting the filter and taking the shot or should you fit them beforehand and meter though the filters.

Th filters i have are the square P type.

Very new to this game so all advice welcome.

Rob

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Henchard 14 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2008 10:19PM

Quote:I have just started to use some ND grad filters and need advice on how to use them. Do you take a meter reading then lock that exposure before fitting the filter and taking the shot or should you fit them beforehand and meter though the filters.

Th filters i have are the square P type.

Very new to this game so all advice welcome.

basically the former

see here
Tooth 14 5.8k 227 Ireland
18 Jul 2008 1:15AM
That's right...to check itlearn to read the histogram and check after the filtered shot that the typical dip in the middle you would get with the unfiltred shot has become a central peak sloping off at each side..

Stephen
bangalicious 12 1.3k 5 England
18 Jul 2008 11:50AM
I have just stated using ND grads and solid filters. The best method is trial and error in manual mode.

Anil.
Henchard 14 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2008 11:56AM

Quote:The best method is trial and error in manual mode.

As not practised by Joe Cornish. I quote

"I doubt that it's possible to do colour transparency photography in the field without a good spotmeter. Assessing the important tones in the image for brightness and deciding where to place them on the characteristic curve of the film is vital in this type of photography. I use a Pentax Digital spotmeter."

taken from here
Nickscape 13 708 9 England
18 Jul 2008 12:15PM
The easiest method is to meter for the sky and then see how many stops different the foreground meter reading is - Leave the foreground reading as your exposure value & fit the designated amount of grad. take the shot and have a look at the histogram, is it equal? if not alter exposure/add more grad (about 5 stops should get you good marks on here Smile )

I'd love to say I use the joe cornish method - but without my expensive spot meter I seem to manage just fine.
culturedcanvas 14 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2008 12:17PM
Remember to meter a midtone tho ... when taking your foreground meter reading.
User_Removed 14 4.9k England
18 Jul 2008 12:33PM
I meter all sorts of tones, and set the exposure accordingly.
It's not always possible to find an exact midtone.

Col
culturedcanvas 14 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2008 12:34PM
Witha true spot meter its usually possible to correctly meter in most landscape scenes and work out exposure and filtering accordingly though.
30 Jul 2008 10:56PM
Thanks for the advice, the last three shots in my portfolio were taken using a ND2 grad, maybe need a stronger one for the lighter shots.

Still learning and persevering, lol

Thanks again.

Rob
flyingseale 12 400 3 United Kingdom
30 Jul 2008 11:51PM

Quote:Thanks for the advice, the last three shots in my portfolio were taken using a ND2 grad, maybe need a stronger one for the lighter shots

If you want to take shots pointing into the sun you will need a stronger grad. The ND8 should be your next purchase.

Mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.