Get An Extra 20% Off Regatta New Season Arrivals

Using Fuji XT1 with Cactus RF60 Flash and V6 Triggers

CTee 14 131 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2014 9:33PM
Just wondering if anybody has any experience of using the Fuji XT-1 with Cactus RF60 and V6 triggers. Any issues or things to consider? I am thinking of buying a trigger and a couple of flashes just looking for any feedback from people using them.
Thanks Grin
Ross_D 7 841 1 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2014 4:26PM
I also have the Fuji XT-1 and so I'm interested in any reply. I have to say that I'd never heard of Cactus (and judging by the number of replies it would appear not many others have heard of Cactus either Sad) However, I did some reasearch and the flash and trigger look a really useful bit of kit.
Ross_D 7 841 1 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2014 4:37PM
I re-read the review on DP Review and I think I misunderstood. As I understand it, the Cactus is just a trigger that can be used on any (??) camera and fire a flash of a different make. So you could use it on a Fuji and fire a Canon 550ex or whatever. Is that your understanding?
f11digital 18 98 1 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2014 6:36PM
As it happens, I made the move from Nikon to Canon two years and bought the Cactus flash triggers instead of selling my Nikon SB700 speedlight. Now my other half has a Fuji X-T1 and I've used the SB700 on that with no problems whatsoever. You will need to buy two flash triggers and they operate the flashguns manually, even the RF60.

Setting them up is a bit fiddly and there is a firmware upgrade worth doing as well, which isn't the easiest firmware upgrade I've done.

Hope this helps.

John
21 Sep 2014 9:57AM
Thanks for your feedback.
My understanding is the V6 trigger is a tranceiver and the RF60 also has a transceiver and can be mixed ie the V6 trigger would wirelessly fire the RF60 so I coild have a smaller trigger on the camera and fire the RF60 flashes.

You can mount standard hot flashes on the V6 and in receive mode this will control the mounted flash. I also understand that any flash can be used as the Cactus V6 has a learn mode for profiling the the flash.
f11digital 18 98 1 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2014 10:56AM
Hi CTee, you're correct about the V6 trigger and RF60 both being transceivers and work as you describe. The same applies regarding any flash with regard to a learning mode, although there are plenty of profiles in the Cactus V6 trigger already. It's a great bit of kit as you can control the flash output from the camera position as opposed to walking up to remote speedlights and changing the power from there.

I'm not sure I'm allowed to advertise suppliers on here, but I'll just mention the name Damien Lovegrove Wink

John
21 Sep 2014 5:02PM
John,

been looking at Damien Lovegrove site, thanks for mentioning as some interesting stuffGrin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.