Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

UV & Polarising filter

Perry_95 7 59 1 Wales
28 Dec 2010 5:20PM
how much is a decent UV and Polarising filter? and where can i buy them?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 13 7.2k 18 England
28 Dec 2010 5:27PM
A "decent" LEE polarising filter is circa 140, available from people like Robert White & Speedgraphic.

UV filter I have no idea Sad
User_Removed 14 17.9k 8 Norway
28 Dec 2010 5:50PM

Quote:A "decent" LEE polarising filter is circa 140, available from people like Robert White & Speedgraphic.

LOL @ Jeff!!!!
Quote:Perry_95 (Junior Member)


Hoya is one of the longest-surviving and best names around James. Like everything in life, price does matter for quality and unfortunately, when it comes to camera optics, quality needs to be a prime consideration Sad

Not as expensive as Lee filters but remember that the size of the filter (52mm, 58mm 62mm etc etc) is also a factor in determining the final price.

Perry_95 7 59 1 Wales
28 Dec 2010 6:16PM
okay then, what do the sizes control? is it different sizes for different lenses? if so would i need two for an 18-55mm lense and a 50-200mm lense?
Alan_Warriner 12 545 England
28 Dec 2010 6:34PM
The filter thread size is usually printed on the front of the lens (52mm, that kind of thing)

Buy one polariser, to fit the biggest size, and then buy an adaptor ring (unless you can afford two polarisers)

Why do you want an UV?
Perry_95 7 59 1 Wales
28 Dec 2010 10:02PM
im not sure what they do, but i heard that filters oftne save your lenses butt in an accident, that is why i asked what the UV filter does, am i right in thinking that the polarising filter takes reflection of water and makes the sky more blue, that kind of thing?
Perry_95 7 59 1 Wales
28 Dec 2010 10:03PM
my mistake, i forgot to ask what a UV filter does.


what does a UV filter do?
Alan_Warriner 12 545 England
28 Dec 2010 11:34PM
You're right about the polariser

UV filters are used with film to reduce haze, with digital cameras they're usually used to protect the lens (although it is said that they can reduce 'fringing')

If all you want it for is to protect the lens then a clear filter will do the job, and may be cheaper
User_Removed 8 4.6k 1 Scotland
30 Dec 2010 10:35AM
With the possible exception of a polarising filter, the effect of most of the other filters that were used in the "olden days" with film cameras can now be replicated in software.
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.0k 58 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2010 1:58PM
The cheapest place to buy stuff is often ebay, but amazon is now almost just as good.
As said above the hoya and hoya pro range are good. the hoya pro polarizer has 2 rings one to screw it into front of the lens and one to rotate the glass to fine tune the polarizing effect.
You gallery has shots taken with a pentax 50-200mm lens, amazon says this takes a 52mm filter
So a suitable filter might be this - do check this is right.

If you have more than one lens then buying the filter for the biggest one and using a step up adapter can help cut down the cost. BUT it will feel a but awkward and may cause you to knock the end of the lens more often as it will stick out. This may also mean that lens hoods won't fit any longer - so its fiddely.

But note you may not use all lenses in scenarios where a polariser would help, so you may only choose to get one for now anyway - I don't have a polarizer for my macro/portrait lens as i'd never use it in that way.

The main reason for a UV fliter is to help reduce glare that some time affects images, though as it makes very little difference some people mostly use it as a lens protector.

Your robin shot may have had a deeper blue sky with a polarizer.stepuponlens.jpg

LenShepherd 10 3.6k United Kingdom
31 Dec 2010 8:45PM
There is no such thing as a "decent" UV if you are digital Sad
Digital bodies are UV protected anyway.
If you want to protect the front element at about 7 times the cost of insurance for theft or any damage to the lens get a clear front filter.
If your your retailer does not stock clear filters walk on by - they are out to make money regardless of whether what they are selling is the best product.
Tooth 13 5.8k 227 Ireland
1 Jan 2011 1:05AM
The cheapest place to buy stuff is often ebay,

but unfortunately you really do pay for what you get with polarisers...cheap ones can give horrible colour casts...I bought one that changed from green to magenta as it was rotated...so be very careful if going down that route

Happy New Year...
Perry_95 7 59 1 Wales
2 Jan 2011 10:38PM
Thanks JackAllTog, I'll probably get that filter, it is within my budget!
LenShepherd 10 3.6k United Kingdom
5 Jan 2011 12:10PM

Quote:UV filters are used with film to reduce haze,

On the UV issue UV's do not reduce "haze" - which is atmospheric pollution.
UV's warm up the colours in a distant hazy blue landscape - but AWB can do it too.
UV's can cut through water vapour in the atmosphere - generally a pol does this better.
ianclark12 7 20 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2011 9:32AM
This may sound very obvious or basic to those in the know but here goes.
I have a UV filter and also a Circ Polariser (both hoya) for use on my NIKON D3100.
So in what order should I use them.
Polariser in front of UV or visa versus, or separately?
Any thoughts?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.