Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

Vaccine - Covid 19

Dave_Canon 14 1.9k United Kingdom
21 Jan 2021 3:24PM
A friend of my wife had her first vaccination a couple of weeks ago but has since contracted COVID 19. She is 85 but recovered very quickly and the medical staff were convinced the even having had only the first jab had made all the difference. This seems encouraging.

Dave
DaveRyder Plus
6 5.1k 8 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2021 2:16PM
Got my letter today inviting me for my jab - yes to that Smile
4 Feb 2021 8:37AM
Off to get mine this morning, we will both be partially covered after that, a great relief after 11 months concern.
LenShepherd 13 4.3k United Kingdom
4 Feb 2021 9:19AM
Adding a second comment, my wife initially offered the American inoculations first, was questioned about serious reactions to medication - which she has had - was switched to Astra Zenica - and had hers about 3 weeks ago. I have had mine.

Neither of us has had a serious reaction.

Assuming 90% take up by the first four key group and 90% protection after 15 weeks (second inoculation plus 3 weeks) should give 80% protection of all those in these four groups by mid July

Assuming 60-70 year olds follow (and some other groups) initially there will be a bit of a trickle after Feb 15th as most first timers will become due for their second inoculation.

With 17.5 million in the second group mid September seems reasonable for 80% protection of 60-70 year olds.

While pressure on hospital critical care beds and unfortunately deaths will initially gradually reduce it is likely several months before there is a good level of protection throughout the community.
DaveRyder Plus
6 5.1k 8 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2021 12:42PM
Tuesday April 9th and May 4th are mine.
I chose the local Nightingale, 25ml or so away, in order to have a run out in the car.
The things we do for a trip out.
Bridgelayer 13 744 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2021 3:43PM

Quote:
Assuming 90% take up by the first four key group and 90% protection after 15 weeks (second inoculation plus 3 weeks) should give 80% protection of all those in these four groups by mid July

Assuming 60-70 year olds follow (and some other groups) initially there will be a bit of a trickle after Feb 15th as most first timers will become due for their second inoculation.

With 17.5 million in the second group mid September seems reasonable for 80% protection of 60-70 year olds.

While pressure on hospital critical care beds and unfortunately deaths will initially gradually reduce it is likely several months before there is a good level of protection throughout the community.

The old farts amongst us may well outlive the "Nay-Sayers" yet.

SWMBO had her AZ jab on Tuesday - no ill effects. Mine was 2 weeks ago and I'm OK- for now.
mrswoolybill Plus
14 2.7k 2377 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2021 1:32PM
Just back from receiving our first jabs, the AZ vaccine. Everything went quickly, smoothly and painlessly. I felt slightly woozy and nauseous for a few minutes afterwards, no other effects. The staff were excellent, very relaxed and informative.

My only query now concerns the procedure for getting the second jab, two contradictory instructions were included in the same NHS envelope, when we got there we were told something different again. That will sort itself out, I'm sure, but could have been avoided if someone had taken a bit more care over what was being sent out.

Meanwhile the main thing is that this feels at least as though we are seeing light at the end of the tunnel.
Railcam 14 889 2 Scotland
6 Feb 2021 4:12PM
Got a telephone call on Thursday from my local surgery with an apointment for today. Went and had the injection. All very organised, explained to me, sat in my car for 15 minutes after the injection. No issues, no side effects and no adverse comments just a job well done.
6 Feb 2021 5:33PM
i am actually feeling very frustrated. I am in the high risk category and had an appoinment for three weeks ago. I had previously discussed with my GP my allergies and he said that it was the Pfizer they were giving and that had no preservatives in it so it would be fine (it is preservatives that I am allergic to). So happily went along - having been literally inside my house and garden for 11 months and with two new great granddaughters waiting for me to cuddle them I was over the moon. When I got into see the doctor at the centre again I was asked about allergies and long and short is that this doctor disagreed with my doctor and said I must have the AstraZeneca. So I came home. Two weeks ago I phoned my surgery as I had heard nothing and needed a resolution of this disagreement. The answer was I can have either - I will be safe. But no new appointment has been sent. So today I rang the 119 number to try and book an appointment myself but there are none available anywhere near me. So to say I am spitting bricks would be to put it mildly!
mrswoolybill Plus
7 Feb 2021 12:58PM
That's awful, Angie, I can imagine how I would have felt if that had happened to us. (I did quote a problem from a previous vaccination, but it wasn't considered enough to prevent my first jab).

Just one thought - it appears that local vaccination centres have to finish up each day's allocation rather than carry any vaccine over to the next day, so when they have surplus stock they are looking round for local recipients who can come in at short notice. Is it worth enquiring whether you can go along and wait at the end of the day 'in case'? I have no idea if this is possible, but clearly some people are benefiting.

Our GP's office staff are in regular direct contact with the local centre, which is how we have made arrangements.
mrswoolybill Plus
7 Feb 2021 1:06PM
PS From a news report, the BMA 'advises vaccination centres to have a reserve list that can be used to invite patients or healthcare workers to receive a dose at the last minute but added: “If necessary remaining doses could be given outside the current cohorts if there is no other person available”.'
DaveRyder Plus
6 5.1k 8 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2021 1:34PM
After 2hrs my arm hasn't yet fallen off and I have yet to grow a sixth toe.
More seriously, the Sunderland Nightingale was extremely well organised and the staff (NHS and Army) brilliant.
13 Feb 2021 4:32PM
Well thanks Moira for all your suggestions - I finally had the vaccination yesterday - the Doctor again went into all the ins and outs (careful is an understatement) so I told him the whole story and he said 'Well your GP is exactly right - the Pfizer vaccine has no preservatives in and that is what we are going to give you'! But to add insult to injury when I came out I had a parking ticket and I had parked in exactly the same place as I parked last time where the 'helper' outside had told me to park because of my inability to walk very far and this space had been set aside for disabled badges holders! Yes the badge was displayed!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.