Black Friday Deals For Photographers

Vaccine - Covid 19

Jestertheclown 12 8.3k 253 England
18 Nov 2020 2:02PM

Quote:One question for Jester - if you are instructed by Test and Trace to self-isolate, will you comply?

Do you need to register for that to happen or do "they" just get your details from somewhere?
If registration is required, then I shan't be receiving a message as, obviously, I haven't applied.

If the latter is correct, then I'll apply the same regime (as below) that I applied back in March when I was deemed to be at risk and had to stop work.

I've posted this before but where I live, open countryside is a two minute walk away, as is a large recreation ground. It's a simple matter to utilise either or both for as long as I like without ever coming into close contact with anyone so my one hour of allowed excersise (at that time; I've no ideas what it's supposed to be now, such is the clarity of the "instructions,") could last all day.
Sadly, that became more difficult as time went by as everyone living nearby gradually had the same idea but it was never seriously crowded.

Also, someone's got to go shopping from time to time and my dog doesn't recognise self-isolation.

So, to give you an honest answer, I'll comply in my own way.
I'll draw the line at days out in London or jaunts around the county using my bus pass but since I have an alternative, dependent upon the weather, I shan't be stuck indoors for however many days it's supposed to be.
Cephus 16 2.6k England
18 Nov 2020 3:04PM
A friend of mine is in intensive care and his wife is in the mortuary. Possibly caused by the rather unfortunate attitude of non believers.
banehawi Plus
16 2.3k 4176 Canada
18 Nov 2020 3:19PM
The human test subjects that are receiving the Pfizer vaccine report no ill effects.
mrswoolybill Plus
14 2.4k 2289 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2020 5:49PM

Quote:
Quote:One question for Jester - if you are instructed by Test and Trace to self-isolate, will you comply?

Do you need to register for that to happen or do "they" just get your details from somewhere?
If registration is required, then I shan't be receiving a message as, obviously, I haven't applied....

...So, to give you an honest answer, I'll comply in my own way.
I'll draw the line at days out in London or jaunts around the county using my bus pass but since I have an alternative, dependent upon the weather, I shan't be stuck indoors for however many days it's supposed to be.

Jester, by registration I assume that you mean downloading the app. Test and Trace also works by manually identifying contacts of people who test positive. See here. Our next door neighbour was contacted in this way recently.

Details of what to do if contacted and told to self-isolate are available here. NB this is legally mandatory, not a case of opting in or out.

Most areas now seem to have a network of volunteers who will shop and run errands for people in this situation.

Jestertheclown 12 8.3k 253 England
18 Nov 2020 6:50PM
Thanks.

No, I haven't got the app.so presumably, I shan't be getting any notifications.
dudler Plus
17 1.4k 1736 England
18 Nov 2020 9:00PM
And for people who don't believe in gravity, Beachy Head is calling...
dcash29 15 2.4k England
18 Nov 2020 9:17PM

Quote:
Quote:
One thing for sure, is that you wont feel to good.

And you know this because . . . ?

From people that are going to give it to you

As already said, you take your choice and stick with it.
Weigh up the risks of getting covid or a vaccine and all that may come with it, which enables your body to see the virus
banehawi Plus
16 2.3k 4176 Canada
18 Nov 2020 9:49PM
Imagining the Spanish Flu Pandemic. No way Im wearing a mask or helping others stay protected, - Ive never once been to Spain...
19 Nov 2020 1:48PM

Quote:Imagining the Spanish Flu Pandemic. No way Im wearing a mask or helping others stay protected, - Ive never once been to Spain...

Nor had my Grandmother but she died of the Spanish Flu and left 3 children, my Father, his sister, and another son. 6 months later my Grandfather, her husband was killed in the first World War, leaving those three children without parents. Luckily for them my Grandfather's sister took them all in and, if my Father and and my Aunt were anything to judge her by, she did a splendid job. Unfortunately for my Father's eldest brother it caused too much trauma for him and he committed suicide.

So think very carefully before you decide not to be vaccinated. You may catch this virus and be totally asymptomatic but that will not stop you from passing it on to hundreds of others. It is totally and utterly selfish with no respect for the reat of humanity.
saltireblue Plus
10 11.2k 68 Norway
19 Nov 2020 2:01PM

Quote:So think very carefully before you decide not to be vaccinated. You may catch this virus and be totally asymptomatic but that will not stop you from passing it on to hundreds of others. It is totally and utterly selfish with no respect for the rest of humanity.

👏👏👏
gcarth Plus
16 3.8k 1 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2020 3:31PM

Quote:So think very carefully before you decide not to be vaccinated. You may catch this virus and be totally asymptomatic but that will not stop you from passing it on to hundreds of others. It is totally and utterly selfish with no respect for the rest of humanity.
What bothers me - as Columbo would say - is that Big Pharma has made sure it is immune from liability if you suffer serious side effects from their drugs: Why would they do that if they are so sure their vaccines are is safe?

Quote:It is totally and utterly selfish with no respect for the rest of humanity.

Most of us with a degree of intelligence are aware of the fake information on the internet condemning vaccines. but surely if Big Pharma was more transparent in the first place, people would not be so paranoid about vaccines.
Big Pharma continue to make enormous profits - and are often steeped in corruption.

From where I'm standing - the problem is that there is fake information on both sides of the vaccination argument.
This is what happens when people become sheeple and fail to insist on accountability from those who pull the levers of power.

DaveRyder Plus
6 4.8k 7 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2020 11:10AM

Quote:
Big Pharma continue to make enormous profits - and are often steeped in corruption.

From where I'm standing - the problem is that there is fake information on both sides of the vaccination argument.

Garth- If pharma companies didn't make a profit where would the money for investment and research come from. The much touted Oxford AstaZenica vaccine is UK based. Do you really think Oxford Uni has work on this free of charge. As a former Lab Manager (in private industries throughout my career) I used to approach Uni laboratories to synthesis compounds for our use, yes a paid for service.

I do agree however that wherever there are large amounts of money there will be people who will see opportunity to defraud legitimate funds.

On fake information, for me it's more around misrepresentation of facts to support your argument rather than forming your argument based on the facts. The sole aim of the past years governmental approach has be (to put it bluntly a PR exercise and it would have been the same under Labour or any other party).
The death rate is the critical factor not the number of deaths. Lets run out of hospital space id not the same as saving lives, it simply spreads the numbers over time. Those that have missed cancer treatments etc will die next year but we have not allowed a virus that will kill ten of thousands in short order to run rampant. But that message, although present, is not really pushed. Who as PM wants to stand up and say such things, I doubt in his place I could.

Which brings me full circle to the only solution - A vaccine.

This will allow not only provide Covid suppression but also the treatment of other longer term issues to restart saving many more other lives.

So yes a Covid vaccine will also save cancer patients, heart patients, mental health sufferers etc.

How can anyone not want that, let alone being stuck indoors for another year.
gcarth Plus
16 3.8k 1 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2020 12:11PM

Quote:Garth- If pharma companies didn't make a profit where would the money for investment and research come from.
Hi Dave: I agree that pharma companies need to make big profits but my point is that because they make such big profits the tax payer should not have to pay for compensation for their mistakes. Big Pharma should be held responsible.
While pharma refuses to accept the consequences of its actions, how can we know how safe all vaccines are?

Quote:The sole aim of the past years governmental approach has be (to put it bluntly a PR exercise and it would have been the same under Labour or any other party).
I would not disagree with you there - big business controls government regardless of which Party is in government.

Daffy1 13 396 Ireland
23 Nov 2020 4:33PM
No vaccine in the UK over 55000 people have died from Covid. With a good vaccine 50 people will die from Covid. Non brainer !!

Damian (retired GP with over 30years dealing with vaccines, no deaths to report)
gcarth Plus
16 3.8k 1 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2020 9:02PM
Well, it's early days, but there seems to have been very good news tonight about the University of Oxford and AstraZeneca vaccine trials.
The fact that no significant side effects have been felt by any of the brave volunteers so far is quite reassuring.
I'm no expert on anything medical or scientific but if it is true as someone has been pointed out, that side effects normally show up quite early on after a "dodgy" vaccine inoculation, then these results are indeed promising.

I don't know what others on this thread feel, but I think it would be wise to avoid mixing with others this Christmas - it's only one Christmas after all - can't people wait until after the "R Number" is below 1 and the administration of the vaccine is fully operational.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.