Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Vanguard GH-100 Quick Release Plate: use with Black Rapid Strap

29 Jun 2011 7:21PM
I have two camera bodies and use them regularly with my tripod and Vanguard GH-100 head. The head has a quick release plate and both my camera bodies have one attached. However when I want to use my Black Rapid strap I had to remove the plate and screw in the strap's threaded nut which irritated me.

I emailed Black Rapid to see if they were planning to bring out an adaptor to use with the Vanguard plate (they have one for Manfrotto) but they weren't. On looking at the QR plate thoughI reasoned that it has a milled steel screw with D-ring and should be strong enough to attach to the Black Rapid which would mean I'd never have to remove the quick release plates again. So I emailed Vanguard and asked whether their QR plate could be used safely with a Black Rapid strap. They acknowledged that they hadn't thought of this and said they'd do some tests. Well they've just let me know that the D-ring and screw can take a weight of 50kg before they fail and that they are happy to claim it as suitable for use with the Black Rapid straps.

I thought this might be helpful to know for anyone else who uses this combination. It is reasonable to assume that they use the same screw and D-ring for other quick release plates in their range and this might also work for other QR plate and head combinations.
Fujiconvert 16 1.3k England
13 Jul 2011 5:55AM
Thanks for the info Smile
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2011 8:38AM

Quote:Well they've just let me know that the D-ring and screw can take a weight of 50kg before they fail and that they are happy to claim it as suitable for use with the Black Rapid straps.

Be careful.
I used to work in my Dad's engineering company and for reasons I won't bore you with, we found a wire rope with a breaking strain of 500kg would snap with a 10kg weight dropping 12". The lesson here is that a dynamic shock is quite different to a static load - so if you were holding the camera to your eye and dropped the camer would the D-ring take the load? It depends how they did the test.
Before you try it out in the field, you may want to test this by dropping your camera attached to the strap - over a pile of cushions of course Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.