Vello wireless shutter boss

I am so frustrated. I am trying to figure out the setting on my Nikon D750 to use my SB600 and SB 800 with the Vello. Do you know of a you tube video that is helpful?

I also purchased a Yongnuo 603N and again am not finding information specific to the SB600 and SB 800 on the D750 settings.

I have watched dozens of You Tube but unable to find specific info.

I already know how to set up commander to get my on camera flash to make both lenses go off but thought the Vello or Yonognuo would be useful to not have to use my pop up

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

12 Mar 2018 11:54AM
Whilst not having tried the Vello units myself, but after a quick scan of the Vello unit's manual, as a basic start, you will need 3 units. The camera will need a trigger unit on its hot shoe and each flashgun will need a unit on its hot shoe set to receive. All units must be set to the same channel and, initially at least, set to the same group. The camera should be in commander mode and the flashes in iTTL mode. If you have already done this, I apologise.

However with the Yongnuo units, which I have, I can be more precise. The YN603 units only support manual flash and again, you must have 3 units (1 trigger for the camera and 1 each as a receiver for your flash guns). If your flash guns supported manual optical triggering, you could have got away with just 2. Both camera and and flash guns must be set to manual mode. All the YN603s must be on the same channel.

If you do not have a flash exposure meter, I suggest these initial settings:

"M" release mode
Shutter speed for the D750 at or below 1/200th sec ( below if you get a black line at the edge of the frame) The YN603s sync at 1/250th sec, so not an issue
Aperture F8
ISO 200
Flash power set manually to 1/2 (using both guns)
Flash zoom to 35 to 50mm
Flash gun to subject distance 3-4 mtrs

To check exposure use the camera rear screen to check the image and its histogram. Initially to increase/decrease exposure alter the power of the flash guns or change the camera aperture. When confident with this, use these and the other control settings to get differing effects.
Thank you soo much. I did not try putting the flashes in TTL mode and I did not try the Yongnuo in manual. I will give it a try with one flash and use LED light bar for 2nd light source since I only have one unit.
Seriously, this is an amazing site. I have had so much help understanding how important lighting is. I have taken courses, subscribe to magazines, watched you tube but in my 20 years of loving photography, have learned more here in a short time than all the years before. I have a great paying day job but lovephotographing the outdoors and people. Thank you all.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.