Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

USA Landscape Photographer of the Year 2016 open to entries NOW!

Vertical and Horizontal Pano Stitching?

7 Mar 2013 10:16AM
Hi all

I have been using PS CS 5.1 for a while now, and along with my old CS2 am used to, and enjoy doing panorama stitching. I use the 'photomerge' function, and 9 times out of 10 it works a treat!

However, I am thinking about doing some larger panoramas. I would like to know if PS is able to stitch together panos that have vertical and horizontal images - ie 8 wide by 3 high for example?

Been on Google but cant find a definitive answer. Can any one here help please?

Thanks in advance

Nige

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh Plus
12 25.0k 33 Wallis And Futuna
7 Mar 2013 1:06PM
Can't see why not. Some of the lens distortion might throw up a few probs depending on focal length......but you could always snap a few quick jpgs and see what happens.
7 Mar 2013 2:02PM
Just done some more Googling and discovered a freeware program called Hugin - may give that a whirl as well.
7 Mar 2013 2:31PM
Microsoft ICE is a free download which stitches panoramics perfectly. I've never had any problem stitching larger panos in any software. This Pano is 108 frames at 12 mpx (HDR as well as Pano)
7 Mar 2013 6:07PM
I had the same problem and have put it down to lens distortion.

Do you use a pano head?

I made my own pano head, found the nodal point of my lens and have had no problem since. Ive done 12+ multi level stitches with no problem.
7 Mar 2013 6:15PM
I've been known to use an old flash bracket as a pano head. I've only encountered alignment problems when photographing small spaces, like taking a 360 pano of a room in the house. Or shooting a pano at the beach, when waves don't line up. A bit of Cloning or Patch Tool helps that. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.