Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Very strange

tanglefoot 13 968 England
17 Jun 2017 1:34PM
My wife owns a D5300, in Red. I also own a D5300, standard black. My wife has a 18-300 lens, So do I, we have identical kit, except for the colour of the camera body. As we were travelling across Dartmoor a couple of days ago, the sun was setting, the sky had, Red and Orange streaks across the it,so my wife wanted to stop and take the photo. She took the picture and said wow look at that, a very night shot I said. I photographed the same view, except my sky was pure white, I was on A. I changed the setting to night landscape, same again pure white sky. I asked my wife what setting she had used. She had just set it to Auto with no flash. I set mine to Auto no flash, pure white sky. So how does one camera take the scene that is in front of you, but the other doesn't, they are identical pieces of kit?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat Plus
13 18.6k 3 Canada
17 Jun 2017 7:41PM
I'm far from an expert, but obviously you metered off of something different than your wife did, hence the different results. You might want to check your settings to see if you have spot, or centre metering selected. However, in auto you should have gotten multiple metering points, I would think. I would advise doing a search on youtube for a tutorial on exposure, and give it a look.
Tianshi_angie 2 1.6k England
17 Jun 2017 10:10PM
I would try this experiment again and use exactly the same settings as your wife and see if there is still a difference as it sounds to me as tho' there may be something wrong with your camera. The sky shouldn't come out as white unless you really have got your settings badly wrong.
JonnyNI Plus
6 1.7k
18 Jun 2017 6:19AM
Was the composition the same ? If your shot took in more land then the camera will over expose the sky. It may not do any harm to upload the photos in question. Smile
arhb Plus
10 3.3k 68 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2017 8:21AM
The question is also, how different was the foreground exposed between yours and your wife's images?
Philh04 Plus
12 1.2k United Kingdom
18 Jun 2017 9:06AM
Several things come to mind many of which have been mentioned, I am not familiar with your cameras, however the composition can affect the exposure, more darker foreground in the frame and the sky will become more over exposed. Again the area metered will make a difference too, so centre weighted will give a different reading to average metering.

Off course it could always be that a red camera will favour sunset colours Smile

Look at the settings on both cameras make sure that every parameter is the same on both, expose a scene with exactly the same composition on both, if there is still a big difference then further investigation will be needed, but I suspect it is something quite simple like the amount of foreground.
sausage Plus
13 442 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2017 9:12AM
Sounds like Auto Trace White was on one camera but not the other?
tanglefoot 13 968 England
21 Jun 2017 1:57AM
The images have been deleted, as they were too bad to try and even try to rescue them in PS, I exposed for the sky being the brightest area.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.