Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Viewfinder size on Canon 400d

nickfrog 14 333
27 Jul 2007 12:25PM
Hi,

I keep hearing and reading that the viewfinder on the 400d is small in relation to the Nikon d80 on Pentax K10 etc...
Is it true? Are they that much bigger and user friendly?
Nick
Tutterzzz 14 160 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2007 4:10PM
I didnt notice much difference when comparing the 400d with the d80

And even if it has a smaller viewfinder ive never came across any problems "viewing" through it
RCE 14 75
27 Jul 2007 7:16PM
The crop factor is what tends to make the difference in viewfinder size, so the Canon will be fractionally smaller than the Nikon. Olympus are the ones with a small viewfinder due to the 2x crop factor.
Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
27 Jul 2007 7:43PM

Quote:Olympus are the ones with a small viewfinder due to the 2x crop factor

Not the crop facter, vertically very little in it. Its the width that makes the differance due to the 4/3 format compared to 3/2.
jcuknz 14 79
27 Jul 2007 9:42PM
Nothing to do with the crop factor but actually the fact that you are working with a 'small' sensor and the optics of the viewfinder have not been designed to enlarge it [enough]. We used to have a similar problem with early Leica and it was a delight when I changed to a Japanese camera with a 1:1 viewfinder which permitted me to keep both eyes open seeing same sized images .. useful when photographing children who might mimic you when you closed the eye not looking through the finder Smile
RCE 14 75
28 Jul 2007 11:43AM
It has a lot to do with the crop size / sensor.

The smaller the sensor the smaller the projected image on the matte screen, generally only thing after this is the pentaprism and the eyepiece. Slight alterations to magnification can be made after the matte screen but these are limited by space and the fact that magnifying the image makes it dimmer.

If you start off with a smaller image you end up with a smaller viewfinder. That is why full frame DSLRs and 35mm cameras have much better viewfinders.
jcuknz 14 79
28 Jul 2007 11:16PM
But it has nothing to do with the 'crop factor' but only the sensor and its size. What with 'folded optics' et al I realy cannot see why you cannot have a larger image, though as with EVFs, there is a problem of resolution. My APS viewfinder knocks spots off my digicams' EVFs. despite not being equal to my SLR's finder Smile

I think folk are getting rather slack what with ... 'macro' .... 'CU filters' URRGH! ... and now anothrer example 'crop factor'
RCE 14 75
29 Jul 2007 7:20AM
The crop factor is an easy term to use, and gives a straight forward way of indicating the size of the used area of the sensor.

As I said what ever optics are introduced between the matte screen and the viewfinder lower the level of light transmitted.

The term macro is used incorrectly often yes.

Crop factor is a meaningful term that relates many different devices to a known benchmark... 35mm film.
welshwizard 15 106 Wales
31 Jul 2007 1:08PM
Girlfriend has 300D while I am blessed with *ist D and K10D....

the Pentaxes do have larger viewfinders than the 300D, and guessing that the 400D is slightly more compact than the 300D I guess the 400D's vf is no larger...I do not enjoy using the Canon and the small viewfinder is one of the reasons..

Even my pentamirror'd *ist DL had a good sized viewfinder..

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.