Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

viewfinders on digital slr

22 Feb 2002 7:47PM
Having read this site on Digital camera features, which shows a viewfinder --- and the text alongside is ambiguous. I don't quite understand the term single lens reflex when applied to a digital camera. Whatever a SLR digital is when it is at home, do you (in essence) view thru the lens and get that view on the lcd entirely free of parallax or do you not. I had enough of parallax with my Vito B, then got a Bessamatic with a non-mirror pentaprism (ugh) then a Spotmatic and what I see is what I get. Comments? Bruce +++
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2002 4:21PM
Hi Bruce

SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex and in essence the image you see in the viewfinder or LCD screen is that as 'seen' by the lens.

Light from the iamge passes through the lens to a mirror located just in front of the film plane (or CCD for digital cameras). This mirror reflects the light up to a pentaprism which corrects the orientation of the image (the mirror will have turned the image around).

The image then is passed to a ground glass screen to be viewed through the viewfinder.

When the shutter is pressed the mirror flips up to allow the light to pass to the film/CCD which is why the viewfinder goes momentarily black when the shutter is pressed.

Hope this helps

Barrie

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.