Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Virtual Memory

alan h. 19 275 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2008 2:52PM
in the last few weeks a notice comes up virtual memory is very low, ive never encountered this before and i would like to know what virtual memory is and how do i increase it alan h.
NikLG 15 1.7k England
16 Jun 2008 2:57PM
AFAIK virtual memory is an area of your hard drive that is used when your actual memory is running low / used up. If you have, for example, 1 gig and a program needs 1.5 gig to run / open it'll use .5 gig of your hard drive to compensate...
Virtual memory is slower than physical memory.
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2008 3:49PM
Virtual memory is indeed on your hard drive. If you are getting messages there is a strong possibility that you have not got enough RAM for the application(s) you are using.

There are other possible reasons for the message, This is worth a read and you should also consider what you may have loaded recently that could be taking up resources.

HTH

Ian
BubbaG2000 13 767 1
16 Jun 2008 4:26PM
If nothing's changed and you're just getting this recently then it could be you're running out of hard drive space. However, if you've been installing amazing new applications etc then see above!
javam 16 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2008 4:45PM
If you have limited space on your hard disk and you are using it as your photoshop scratch disk it is also possible that editing an image in Photoshop is using such a large percentage (effectively) of your remaining disk space that there is not enough for the virtual memory allocation.

I would look at how much disk space you have left, if it is under 5GB you need to do some house keeping to free up some space or buy another disk.

Neil

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.