Votes for encouragement

ade_mcfade 15 15.2k 216 England
3 Jan 2009 12:49AM
In another thread someone mentioned that one of the things he/she liked about EPZ was the support and encouragement given by friends, this often being supplied in the form of a daily vote.

Just thinking back now, when I started on the site, it was votes from people who rarely voted, or were very selective in their choices, that I cherished most and was most encouraged by.

So it's just occurred to me that this may be a common thought on the site - if you post a shot and get X votes from the usual suspects, but you see a couple of people who are more selective, does that give you an extra warm feeling of encouragement?

Now I'd say if we were all more selective, our votes would carry more weight and provide that boost to people when they present a good shot.

It's a bit like in training a dog - you give them their treat when they do well, and they don't get a treat if they misbehave.

If you give them a treat every time you get a disobedient dog

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Fishnet 15 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2009 12:53AM
Half and half I think.

I have a few regulars who always comment and vote and that's nice because it's almost like having a little fan club, you know there ARE people out there who like your work enough to follow it, and then when I get votes from people I haven't seen before that also gives a boost because I've appealed to someone new.
Tooth 15 5.8k 227 Ireland
3 Jan 2009 1:47AM
My latest upload "did" pretty well by my standards, and I was pleasantly surprised (though I knew there was something a bit special about it). But what really heartened me was that in the first 20 votes (which has been about my average for a while) there were only a small handful I had heard of before. That must be a much bigger kick than your pals looking in for a backslap (I'm not saying they shouldn't...oh, you know what I mean Smile

Don't forget also the PM system is a powerful thing and usually extremely positive..

What I really regret is that in rusty copper wire dial up land, I really don't have the time to go chasing links, finding new talent and maybe new friends..I have to get a cup of tea while a page loads...

but when you want genuine support on this site, whether photographic or just personal , it's there. So here's to it, raise a glass.... Smile
Picture_Newport 11 659 19 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2009 9:21AM
I think it depends on the type of photograph you upload, I have been a member for just over a month now and I find that people generally vote on the type of subject that they like to shoot, there are of course exceptions to this, after all most poeple can appretiate and recognise a good photograph regardless of genre, Tooths last upload being a good example.

I suppose the more varied your portfolio the more different types of voter you will attract.
User_Removed 13 2.1k 7 England
3 Jan 2009 9:37AM
I have a few people who vote, or at least look at most of my pictures. I like their work too so am glad they do and I respect their comments. I do like it when I get new voters/comments. I don't really mind how many votes I get it's more important to me if the person voting for me is someone I feel takes really good pictures. So I think that new people voting does encourage me.
pennyspike 16 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2009 10:21AM
Daily vote for vote is daft and meaningless but commenting on the work of people new to the site does encourage more involvement.
I can still remember joining and feeling really nervous about uploading anything, I don't suppose I would have stayed very long without some positive strokes.
There certainly are some people on here whose comments I value greatly, if they come with a vote that's even better.

I do wish there was a way of uploading with voting disabled, it is very difficult at times like Christmas when you just want to post a card and exchange greetings not votes. MNC is the same but I notice that even that gets a fair number of votes.

Don't forget that for many people the site is just the Galleries, they rarely if ever visit the forum posts and have no idea that there are people don't vote tit for tat. Wink
3 Jan 2009 11:13AM

Quote:I do wish there was a way of uploading with voting disabled

There is - the Critique Gallery is exactly what you're after!

You upload a shot and voting is disabled.

There are some interesting behaviours on the site - one is the

"A scathing critque with many negative points + a vote"

I've never really followed that one Wink

It's a bit like telling your dog off AND giving it a treat at the same time!

I guess my thought last night was that we could all vote on every shot every day, but that makes the vote worthless. But if we vote on 1 shot per day, say, then it makes it quite valuable. So it's a sliding scale - choose your value I guess.

Sometimes when a regualar doesn't click, you think you may have upset them, now isn't that a strange state of affairs Wink
User_Removed 13 2.1k 7 England
3 Jan 2009 11:22AM
I do find it a bit disheartening to have high view counts and low votes on an image! But then I don't really mind if people don't like them. Voting and saying in the comment you don't really like the shot or it could be improved does seem pointless.
ketch 12 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
3 Jan 2009 11:32AM
I will own up to that reather contrary behaviour in the galleries (negative critique and a click) - my thinking: it can be easy to find grounds for negative critique whilst it can sometimes be much harder to find grounds for praise but clearly the uploader thought the image had some merit - so rather than pile on the critique and then leave, it just seems polite to end by saying something like 'have a vote for trying something different or being experiemntal etc' . Clicks are cheap but true critque is not and that is what we should value.

Best wishes

Robert
pennyspike 16 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2009 12:32PM

Quote:
I do wish there was a way of uploading with voting disabled

There is - the Critique Gallery is exactly what you're after!

No Ade, you don't appreciate my point, I don't want critique or votes on my Christmas card, quirky sharing, or the MNC picture but I might want commentsSmile

It is very difficult not to vote on a picture having commented on it favourably, particularly when it is much better than many others. WinkWinkWink

The other serious point is if beginners, and less experienced contributors don't get feedback they soon get very disheartened. I try quite hard to look at their work and the Junior Gallery. My personal criteria for voting here is rather different and I will always comment.

The 'experts' know their work is good, they don't need me to tell them but it is good to have a vehicle to pass on praise for the exceptional work that we see on here.
Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
3 Jan 2009 3:07PM
I have often wondered if things would be a little better if to make a vote you had to leave a comment first. Even though some might just resort to copy=paste comments it might force some to look a little more at what they are voting for,
Also I find comments far better than votes - especailly if your not with e2 and can't see the voters on a photo. Comments are more personal feeling and I think they offer far more encouragement than votes alone can do
Picture_Newport 11 659 19 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2009 6:11PM

Quote:It's a bit like in training a dog - you give them their treat when they do well, and they don't get a treat if they misbehave.

If you give them a treat every time you get a disobedient dog

Quote:It's a bit like telling your dog off AND giving it a treat at the same time!

Lots of dogs Ade Smile

Members use the site for different reasons and also upload images for different reasons.

Some like to use the forums to chat and to get advice.

Some like to upload images that they think may entice voters, kind of a like having a pat on the back, a reward for thier photographic efforts, the feel good factor.

Some like to upload images for critique (perhaps they are trying somethinbg new or are just starting out and want hints and tips).

Some will upload what they are interested in and weather or not they get votes or critique is neither here nor there to them.

Some upload absolutley fantastic images that get recognition regarless of genre.

Some do all of the above.

Thats the beauty of a site like this one, there is something for everyone. Whatever your photographic pleasure there is something here :- Chat, Banter, Photos, Advice, The opportunity to meet new people and even a few bargains in the classifides section.
csurry 17 9.2k 92
3 Jan 2009 6:16PM
I vote on yours sometimes Ade to try to encourage you! Wink
NEWMANP 12 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2009 6:43PM

Quote:vote on yours sometimes Ade to try to encourage you

me too, LOL

i used to get quite excited if Pete passed by and gave me a click, i agree there a one or two people out there that if they give you a click, you know they like it otherwise you never here from them, for me though, i would just as soon they tell me why they dont like one and forget the click if i am guilty of posting rubbish.
ill say though that if you pass by Ade, you will give a fair and honest opinion as well as a good evaluation and thats a good thing,
Phil
3 Jan 2009 6:50PM

Quote:I vote on yours sometimes Ade to try to encourage you!

And I love you dearly for it Cheryl.... even though I never reciprocate that often. I'm a bad bad man Sad

Quote:Members use the site for different reasons

Ah if i had a tenner for every time I've read that on this forum Wink

Quote:
No Ade, you don't appreciate my point, I don't want critique or votes on my Christmas card, quirky sharing, or the MNC picture but I might want comments

Hmmmm.... sounds like Flickr's the place for that kinda thing then.

Quote:
It is very difficult not to vote on a picture having commented on it favourably,

If its actaully worth a vote, then vote. It's just threshold that varies so wildly between people. A friend of mine voted on a terrible shot the other day - I asked him if he was having a laught and he said that the comment I left was useful so thought it deserved a click..... hmmmm Wink

Quote:Thats the beauty of a site like this one, there is something for everyone.

Indeed.

Quote:I have often wondered if things would be a little better if to make a vote you had to leave a comment first.

That'd upset the people who click on 100+ shots a day though, it'd take ages. There is code in place to stop cut and paste comments, but all you need to do is change one word each time and it gets past the code

e.g. If you copied the following and made a small change like this.,..

Like the colour and tones in this
Regards Ade

becomes....

Like the details and tones in this
Regards Ade

So you can get around the cut and paste laws that way, and sadly, many people do that - just go though the click lists of people with 100+ clicks for average shots and you'll see each one has probably 30 familiar comments.

All this fresh air today's made me want a rant for some reason Wink

Annyway - the thought behind the thread was to make people think how much their vote is valued by others. I was expecting...

Every vote is equal
I really like it when XXXXX votes because I respect him/her
I have a group of friends that always vote
etc. etc.

Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.