Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Vulcan To The Sky Appeal

Ian-Jones 17 133 2 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2006 1:40PM
Hi All,

One of the dubious benefits of working from home is being able to watch the BBC News have at lunchtime . One of today's stories was about the project to get the last remaining (almost) serviceable Vulcan into the skies again.

If any of you saw the Vulcan flying at an air display (before the end of the eighties) I'll think you'd agree that it was an amazing sight - in slow flypast it was appeared amazing that the bloody thing stayed up. And of course there was the unforgettable bowl-vibratingly load roar as it accelerated. Naturally my biggest regret was never getting a pic of it (I was a mere camera shy nipper at the time).

As you can tell I'd quite like to see the bird in the air again, so it was a bit of a shock to hear on the news that they might have to drop the project through lack of funds at the end of the month. If you'd also like to see it flying again make a donation.

If it's not your thing, I hope you'll forgive me for posting this, but please pass this onto someone who might be interested.

Cheers

Ian
User_Removed 16 3.3k Russian Federation
23 Aug 2006 1:52PM
Well worth it.
Also see here - all proceeds from the sale of the wine goes towards getting the Vulcan back in the air.

Not bad wine either.
;o)
Kris_Dutson 18 8.2k 1 England
23 Aug 2006 2:38PM
I shall be making a donation as they have given me much pleasure at air shows.

early upload

My father in law was also responsible for looking after them when he was in the RAF, loading our then nuclear deterrent amongst other things.
Philip_P 15 71 1 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2006 4:08PM
Just Made my donations
c_evans99 17 7.0k 1 Wales
23 Aug 2006 5:06PM
Just made a donation for my Dad who got his wings back this morning.

Ceri
agoreira 17 6.0k Wales
23 Aug 2006 5:36PM
I don't ever buy lottery tickets, as in the main I don't agree where a lot of the money goes, and things like this simply reinforce my opinions. This would rate far higher in my list to get lottery money than a lot of the other crazy causes.
chinny 16 492 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2006 7:35PM
I will to be donating, I have fond memories of this wonderful metal bird!
Photogeek 15 605 6 Wales
23 Aug 2006 8:07PM
Just made my donation,

I had the pleasure of walking past one of these every morning on my way from the car park to the office as one was bought as a tourist attraction and located at Blackpool Airport. What made my 8 Year olds day was when I took him past it.

Saddest day ever when I walked past and there were the workmen with the angle grinders 'removing' it Now just an overgrown carpark for the local flying club Sad

Really annoyed with myself for all the days I walked by and said I should bring my camera, there are some good close ups there!
c_evans99 17 7.0k 1 Wales
23 Aug 2006 8:14PM
I never saw one at a display but our school was on the flightpath to Pembrey... pity the teachers who had to at least try to keep kids at their desks when a Vulcan flew over Smile

Ceri
macroman 17 15.3k England
23 Aug 2006 8:48PM
Great aircraft, got some old B&W negs somewhere, taken at Farnborough.
Must dig 'em out and make some prints.

Ther was one stranded at Southend Airport some years ago, (engine probs I Believe) I don't know what eventually happened to it though.

PS, Clacton Airshow tomorrow (Thursday 23/08/06)& Friday.
Hope weather is OK.

Best location IMHO, is at end of the pier as many of the aircraft pass almost overhead.
trivets12 16 1.3k
24 Aug 2006 8:26AM
It would be wonderful to see this aircraft fly again. I videoed it flying at Honington Airshow for the last time several years ago and they played Clannad over the loudspeakers when it came in and it was the most eerie but beautiful sight - until it came right past us and then accelerated up at which point my ear drums nearly disintegrated! It always seemed to lumber around so slowly, almost as if it wasn't going to quite make it.
I hope this project to get it up in the air again is successful.
Trudy
YorkieH 14 7 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2006 8:39AM
I was in the RAF and had the pleasure of working on B2 Vulcans at RAF Scampton from 1962-1965 (even during the very frightening time of the the Cuban missile crisis!). I would love to see one of these beautiful old kites take to the skies once more and have the chance to take photographs again as all my original shots taken during displays were lost when some of my luggage 'disappeared' on the way back from a posting in Singapore. A donation is on its way.

YorkieH
javam 16 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2006 9:10AM
An amazing aircraft that I was fortunate enough to see fly at a couple of Mildenhall air shows.

I thought at Fairford this year they said it was nearly there and could be flying next year. If it is that close and does not get enough funds to complete the work it would be a tragedy.
chinny 16 492 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2007 10:39PM
I live about 3 miles as the crow flies from where they are restoring this beast, over the last few days they have been testing her on the runway!!!

AWESOME sound. Me thinks that she will be doing her test flight very soon !! Get them cameras ready...

I raced up to bruntingthorpe thinking it was going up !! LOL I had a long wait !! Funny thing was the sound at home seemed louder than nr the runway ?!!?
KevinGoodchild 19 1.2k 9 England
24 Aug 2007 8:52AM

Quote:There was one stranded at Southend Airport some years ago, (engine probs I Believe) I don't know what eventually happened to it though.

I believe it's still there, you can see it from the train as you pass between Rochford and Prittlewell stations ....

see here

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.