Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

WANTED: Large format camera

rhody 17 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
26 May 2019 8:08PM
I know it might seem strange (having invested heavily in digital cameras and lenses) but I am looking to buy a Large Format camera in good working order.
In an ideal world, I am looking for something I could use immediately and I would prefer 8x10 but 4x5 would also be great to get me started.
However, I would also consider purchasing the lens and body separately.
I hope to be using the camera for both portrait and landscape work
Thank you for reading this far in such a niche part of the photographic market.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
27 May 2019 8:16AM
Hi...

Tis a whole different new world, you don't indicate a budget but have a look at these guys...

https://intrepidcamera.co.uk

Don't forget you need to budget for dark slides etc....

HTH

Phil
27 May 2019 8:56AM
Thank you very much indeed Philh04 - much appreciated.
I really like the 8x10 on that site and the way Intrepid operate.
As for budget - well, there won't be any pockets in my shroud and that's my problem - "I can resist anything except temptation" Grin

The Intrepid 8x10 would suit me perfectly and then I can go hunting for a lens.
Very many thanks Phil.
Nikonuser1 Plus
7 159 16 United Kingdom
27 May 2019 1:52PM
Hi

I have a Sinar f1 with a 150 mm lens and film holder. it is boxed and has had very little use.

Selling as no longer used.

Cliff
27 May 2019 2:08PM
Very many thanks Cliff - PM sent.
1 Jun 2019 7:40PM
Thanks to the joy of the simple camaraderie of epz - I am now the very proud owner of Cliff / Nikonuser's magnificent Sinar P1 Large Format camera.
Cliff is a super, genuine guy to talk to and to deal with..
The Swiss designed and built Sinar is a work of art in its own right and over the next few days, I'll be learning all about how to use it.
Cheers Cliff - it was a pleasure to meet you.
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
3 Jun 2019 11:00AM
The Sinar P family are excellent and I had one for many years, but I'd suggest that they're best suited for studio or static use because they're somewhat heavy. I had a folding "field" large-format camera for landscape work because it weighed no more than a Hasselblad.
3 Jun 2019 2:45PM

Quote:The Sinar P family are excellent and I had one for many years, but I'd suggest that they're best suited for studio or static use because they're somewhat heavy. I had a folding "field" large-format camera for landscape work because it weighed no more than a Hasselblad.

Many thanks for that comment. It will indeed be used in a studio but the temptation to take it out and about for some landscape work is overwhelming too.
I'll plan where to take it for the landscape work with great care because as you say - it is rather heavy.
A couple of years ago, I went along the Micro Four Thirds route because I wanted to lighten my camera bag. Now, getting into Large Format working - the irony is not lost on me.

What is the going rate for a Sherpa these days?
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
5 Jun 2019 7:32PM
Don't worry about the weight - there's a simple rule of photography which covers this:

“Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn’t photogenic.” – Edward Weston
5 Jun 2019 8:51PM

Quote:Don't worry about the weight - there's a simple rule of photography which covers this:

“Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn’t photogenic.” – Edward Weston

Brilliant Keith - I'll bear that in mind Grin Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.