Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Warm Fleece!

RBL 5 52 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2018 10:41AM
Can anyone recommend a warm fleece. I知 looking at the paramo range but they seem very pricey. It痴 for winter UK use. Temperatures around zero with wind chill

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 3 2.2k England
2 Dec 2018 10:47AM
With my 'David Attenborough' hat on - find a thick wool jacket or similar! Fleeces release millions of micro particles of plastic into the washing machine and then into the water system swallowed by all animals and eventually us.
JJGEE 13 7.4k 18 England
2 Dec 2018 1:43PM

Quote:I知 looking at the paramo range

Look no further ...... but I am totally biased having been with Paramo for a very long time now Smile

For a Winter fleece then the Taiga is the one to go for.
It is warm & comfortable to wear BUT you would need another layer for windproof / waterproof.

It is a bit difficult to make recommendations without knowing exactly what activities / weather conditions you are involved in.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to give Paramo, at their head Office in Wadhurst , a telephone call or even better pop into a Paramo Store, they have three... one In Keswick, one in London and one in Wadhurst.

justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
2 Dec 2018 1:59PM
I've no experience of Paramo fleeces but you don't have to spend silly money just to get a warm fleece jacket. I've got a couple of Berghaus fleece jackets which do the job but the warmest fleece I have by far is one from a local market. It's very warm and cosy, is totally windproof thanks to an inner membrane and it deals with the odd shower too. A fraction of the cost of the high end stuff but certainly no less capable IMO. A very nice shade of green too.
Have you considered an alternative to fleece such as a synthetic fill jacket. I bought a Montane one about twelve months ago and rarely wear anything else now. It's warmer than a fleece, considerably less bulky (packs up small), a fraction of the weight, totally windproof and showerproof and has a hood, which is very convenient.
Best bit of clothing I've ever bought.
Ragingbull New Member
2 Dec 2018 8:08PM
I would highly recommend GILL. It has a very dense pile and they don't cost a fortune either.
LenShepherd 10 3.8k United Kingdom
3 Dec 2018 7:57AM
What do you mean by a fleece?
Do you mean an inner layer, usually with pockets, to wear inside an outdoor windproof & water resistant jacket, or the top layer outdoor garment?
3 Dec 2018 8:53AM
With fleeces, as with anything else, you pretty much get what you pay for. A higher quality fleece will do a better job of retaining body heat, and one of the best is 'Polartec.' They don't make the garments themselves... their fleece is used by the major "Outdoor Clothing" manufacturers, such as North Face, Craghoppers, etc. Its warmth-to-weight ratio is high, and that's the main difference between quality fleeces and the less expensive offerings.... not an issue if you're just walking around town, but it is if you're climbing a mountain.
But no fleece is any good worn as an outer layer unless it's specifically designed to be windproof... generally it's meant to be worn as a 'mid' layer, with a windproof/waterproof top layer, and comes in different weights to suit the conditions.
RBL 5 52 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2018 12:52PM
Many thanks. I知 after something as a mid layer, so the advice is very helpful. Ideally something not too heavy and with decent pockets.
Squirrel 11 457 6 England
3 Dec 2018 6:29PM
Evening. I garden for a living and wear fleeces all the time, I don't stick to any particular brand, (my last two were from Primark).
What I have found is a wonderful product made by Nikwax called Polar Proof. It is a wash in waterproofer for fleece garments. It works with any fleece type material, makes them water repellent, helps stop bobbling and helps with the insulation. Easy to use,water based PFC free it has got a bit of a funny smell, I wash my fleeces in the old soap flakes, then put the clean items through through the machine on the required cycle or I soak them in the sink with the Polar proof (ideal for hats and gloves) .
regards Jacq
JJGEE 13 7.4k 18 England
3 Dec 2018 7:17PM

Quote: Nikwax called Polar Proof.

Not come across that product... will check it out next time I visit the Paramo store.

I have been using TX Direct Wash-IN
RBL 5 52 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2018 7:31PM
This is all very helpful and informative. Thank you so much for your time and interest. Richard

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.