Warmtone paper and sepia toner

Farris 14 24
29 Nov 2005 1:18PM
I have read mixed things about mixing these two. I am working on my final project for my photo class and I really wanted nice warm browns and was hopeing the combo would give me that, But the more I read the more I think it might be a mistake. Anyone have any input on this?
I'm using Ilford multigrade Fiber Base WarmTone paper and Kodak sepia toner.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

spaceman 15 5.3k 3 Wales
29 Nov 2005 1:32PM
Why do you think it's a mistake?
c_evans99 16 7.0k 1 Wales
29 Nov 2005 1:46PM
You might get better results with a warm or brown tone developer, rather than toning.
Farris 14 24
29 Nov 2005 6:55PM
some of the things I have read online make it sound like it will be yellow, not brown. I'm limited in this class b/c it's a beginner level class and sepia is really the only other thing she will let us do. Have any of you ever used this combination of paper and toning? Just wondering what the end print will look like. I guess I could just wait and see.
bronny 15 48
29 Nov 2005 11:21PM
Farris,
I don't have any of my darkroom stuff scanned into my gallery, but I have used warmtone paper and sepia toner on several different prints. The last one was for a wedding, and using the warmtone paper added an extra depth to the sepia toning that you don't see on normal white printing paper. I wouldn't say the colour was yellow, but the whotes were more the pale coffee colour that you would expect to see on very old prints, and the blacks were a dark brown. I haven't used the Kodak sepia toner (only a fotospeed bleach and toner kit), but I can't see that the results would be much different.

Where have you read that this combination is a bad idea?

B
spaceman 15 5.3k 3 Wales
30 Nov 2005 4:09AM
I've used the paper but not the toner. My usual toner is Agfa Viradon but this is unlikely to be available for much longer :-( .Speedibrews do a wider range of these type of toners - sepia, brown, chestnut etc. They're very cheap so you can afford to experiment with different types. They're available from Silverprint if you're interested. Regarding paper, if you can find it you may like to try Paterson Acugrade. RC papers tend to be resistant to toning but Acugrade tones as well as any FB paper I've used and you get all the convenience of RC. It's available in normal and warmtone versions. I get it from Nova Darkroom.
Farris 14 24
30 Nov 2005 3:32PM
Thanks so much!! Very helpful!! I will check out the paper. My deadline is next Wed. and I have 6 rolls to shoot so I will be cramming this all in there. Will post the shots when I get them back!
Farris

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.