Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

Washed Out!

Jasper87 Plus
9 2.1k 155 England
14 Mar 2019 10:14AM
Mornin' all.

I have tried to upload the last 2 photos in my portfolio to the gallery and the colours (esp red) are muddy (no saturation or vibrancy). They were both processed the same way - LR then Photoshop cc, saved as prophoto RGB Jpegs. They look fine in Windows Viewer, they also upload correctly to Flickr. I have viewed them on EPZ on 2 separate computers and monitors with the same muddy appearance. Strangely, when I view them on my Ipad they look okay!! (I use Google Chrome on my PCs)

I have reprocessed the last one in my portfolio again this morning but with the same result. I have raised a 'fault/query' which awaits but I'm assuming it's a fault with my settings however I'm not aware I'm doing anything different from my usual workflow.

The flickr version of the ArcelorMittal Orbit is on this link for comparison - https://www.flickr.com/photos/92110231@N03/47368892931/in/dateposted-public/

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chavender Plus
8 350 1 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2019 10:19AM
When uploading, it says,

"Use sRGB color space. Using Adobe RGB (1998) will result in loss in density and contrast"

Hope this helps.
Bill
Jasper87 Plus
9 2.1k 155 England
14 Mar 2019 10:29AM
Cheers Bill,

My 'Image' 'Mode' in Photoshop is RGB and when I 'save as' it is as a Prophoto RGB Jpeg. The original image was RAW as well so it wouldn't be an 'in-camera' issue.
chavender Plus
8 350 1 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2019 10:56AM
Hi Dave,
It sounds like something has changed in your settings.
justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
14 Mar 2019 11:06AM
Use the Save for Web option in Photoshop. You will then be able to convert your image to sRGB for posting on the web. Keep your original in ProPhoto but make a copy for web use in sRGB,
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
14 Mar 2019 11:15AM
As Justin says it is a colour space issue and for upload here it should be in the sRGB space and not the much wider ProPhotoRGB (I didn't even know that one can save a JPEG as a ProPhoto). Do as Justin says and all should be good.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.3k 35 Norway
14 Mar 2019 12:15PM

Quote:Use the Save for Web option in Photoshop. You will then be able to convert your image to sRGB for posting on the web. Keep your original in ProPhoto but make a copy for web use in sRGB,

Saving for web strips out any efix.
A better method to convert from RGB to sRGB is, while in PS, and as a final step before saving, go to Edit--->Convert to Profile and choose sRGB there., then simply 'Save As'
Jasper87 Plus
9 2.1k 155 England
14 Mar 2019 12:54PM
I used to 'save for web' in CS6 but that option was removed in later reincarnations of PS and I certainly can't find it on Photoshop cc.

Malc....is Prophoto RGB a problem on EPZ uploads? It never caused any issues in the past with my uploads. Incidentally I tried to post another forum question re uploading to my profile. Couldn't find it when I looked just now and when I went to search for it, it said Attention, topic deleted, or something like that. My question was simply can I upload to my profile even though I've already had one go at the gallery....
DerekL 14 203 24 England
14 Mar 2019 1:07PM

Quote:I used to 'save for web' in CS6 but that option was removed in later reincarnations of PS and I certainly can't find it on Photoshop cc.

Malc....is Prophoto RGB a problem on EPZ uploads? It never caused any issues in the past with my uploads. Incidentally I tried to post another forum question re uploading to my profile. Couldn't find it when I looked just now and when I went to search for it, it said Attention, topic deleted, or something like that. My question was simply can I upload to my profile even though I've already had one go at the gallery....

In Photoshop CC you can use File/Export/Save for Web (Legacy) Alt+Shift+Ctrl+S, then make sure the "Convert to sRGB" box is ticked before saving.
Jasper87 Plus
9 2.1k 155 England
14 Mar 2019 1:10PM
Cheers, Derek, would never have found that......
saltireblue Plus
9 9.3k 35 Norway
14 Mar 2019 1:30PM

Quote:Malc....is Prophoto RGB a problem on EPZ uploads?

Don't know, Dave, that's a question for the IT guys...
If you look at the report you submitted earlier, add that question and Rick will give you the answer.

I was also wondering why the interest in 'Save for the Web' as your images on here are obviously not saved using that method as all the exif is intact. If your ePz images were SFTW then the exif wouldn't appear.
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
14 Mar 2019 2:56PM
ProPhoto RGB and Adobe RGB both have a greater 'gamut' to sRGB, when you upload images in the ProPhoto or Adobe RGB spaces then they will appear dull and washed out, with a few exceptions web browsers are not colour management aware or by default the option is disabled and will attempt to display the wider gamut within the confines of the smaller gamut hence the dull and washed out appearance as colours out of that gamut are either discarded or crudely moved into the smaller gamut.

To keep the EXIF intact create a duplicate of the file and use 'convert to profile' to create an sRGB file then save as a JPEG.
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
14 Mar 2019 8:13PM

Quote:To keep the EXIF intact create a duplicate of the file and use 'convert to profile' to create an sRGB file then save as a JPEG.

No need Phil.

Photoshop's "save for web", in every incarnation that I've used, only strips out the EXIF if you tell it to.

Jasper87 Plus
9 2.1k 155 England
14 Mar 2019 9:40PM
Many thanks for all the advice, learnt one or two things here. Will attempt another upload tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dave
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
15 Mar 2019 8:17AM

Quote:Photoshop's "save for web", in every incarnation that I've used, only strips out the EXIF if you tell it to.

Cheers... I never use 'save for web' so happy to be corrected.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.