Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Water bills

MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
30 Jun 2018 9:49PM
Hi... can someone assist me with regards to water bills ?
I and my wife live in a 3 bedroom house and our water is metered and we pay approximetly 330 a year.

My daughter, her husband and 2 boys live in a 4 bedroom house and the cost of their water,again metered, costs over 2000 a year.
Granted they use the bath while we never do, preferring showers.

Can someone please tell me how the cost of my water should compare to their's.

I can expect it to be double or maybe even triple or 4 times as much, but seven times as much is incredible

appreciate any help...thanks...Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2018 10:46PM
So do the bills also state the usage in litres etc. Do they use 7 times as much water
My kid baths often and, then there is watering the garden when its allowed.

What the cost per litre for each of you - different authorities?

All else being equal perhaps their meter is faulty or there is a leak somewhere.
1 Jul 2018 7:57AM
Thanks Jack... same water authority ...Yorkshire water.
...my last quarter bill, if I read it correctly ... states my useage as 23 cubic metres. resulting in a bill of 83.57.

I haven't seen my daughters bill, it's a sore point as she claims that I coerced them into getting a meter fitted and won't discuss it with me.

I thought that if I could find out what others paid it might help to clarify things

cheers.... Mike
FabioKeiner 6 111 Austria
1 Jul 2018 8:25AM
either your daughter has a leakage somewhere in her garden/house ? or somebody at the water authority simply is faking the usage (similar cases have been reported in germany) - or - in case that you use a 'smart meter' this easly could get hacked and the neighbours ttransfer some of their water usage virtually to the meter of your daughter?
no comsumer dfdence board (or how it's called in britain), where you could report the case?
Tianshi_angie 4 2.7k England
1 Jul 2018 8:50AM
I would suggest contacting Ofwat to ask them to clarify for you. I understand that she is a bit miffed with you for suggesting a water meter was a good idea (I would agree with you) but this amount does seem to me to be quite extraordinary, and an appeal to her to at least let you try to sort it out for her - after all you might just get her a lot of money back if she is being over-charged. If she isn't being over-charged she has nothing to lose. It might be an idea also to suggest she looks at the Ofwat site to pick up some tips about saving water - like turning the tap off whilst you are cleaning your teeth - 6 people doing this twice a day could add rather a lot to the cubic mass that is being used.
Belleyeteres 9 264 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2018 8:52AM
My daughter moved into a new flat with a water meter already fitted. Her water bills we're OK when she first moved their then after about a year started to go up. We kept blaming her for using to much water. In the finish we asked for the meter to be tested. It turned out to be the meter going faulty. She did get a refund but not for all the time the meter was faulty.
Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
1 Jul 2018 10:30AM
I had a meter fitted about 4 years ago. At that time general advice was that it was much cheaper for two people but for a family (with children) it may be better to stick with unmetered. My bills have been consistently half what they used to be for just two of us. When the meter was fitted the contractor pressed me to have it installed by the roadside; he did reluctantly concede that it could be installed in the house. I insisted on the latter because if a leak occurs between my meter and the property boundary, it will not be recorded on my meter and thus I will not be billed. As I can physically see my meter, there is not chance of an invisible leak. If you have a meter fitted, you can choose to have it removed if you decide within 12 months. Your daughter's bill seems very large for the circumstances so should be investigated.

Dave
1 Jul 2018 10:37AM
Thanks all..seems it's not as bad as I first thought.
my wife claimed that they used 10 times as much water as us but it seems their bill is only 1000 a year which considering their water useage, is not too bad.
I suspect that their might be the possibility of making dad feel guilty,
...not always a good idea Smile

My daughter thinks that without the meter it'd cost only 400 but I don't know about that.Smile

cheers all.... Mike
1 Jul 2018 10:42AM
" you can choose to have it removed if you decide within 12 months. "

Cheers Dave... neither myself nor my daughter was informed of this, but would be good to know for a lot of people
Canonshots 9 198 13 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2018 5:28PM
Six years ago we moved into a house with a water meter and our water bill more or less halved. Same supplier (Severn Trent), so it must be the meter that made the difference.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
2 Jul 2018 9:46PM

Quote:Thanks all..seems it's not as bad as I first thought.
my wife claimed that they used 10 times as much water as us but it seems their bill is only 1000 a year which considering their water useage, is not too bad.
I suspect that their might be the possibility of making dad feel guilty,
...not always a good idea Smile

My daughter thinks that without the meter it'd cost only 400 but I don't know about that.Smile

cheers all.... Mike

It could well be only 400, I think I pay something like 600 a year.

A meter is really only worth having if you just have a small house hold of 1 or two people, for a family your probably better off paying just the standard charge.
brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2018 8:04AM
when we lived in Chester 22 years ago our water bill was based upon the rateable value of our house, now we are down here in Dorset its metered.

Our water and sewage bill is less now that it was 22 years ago, so for us (the same two people) its significantly cheaper metered

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.