GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Waterproofing Spray

Chris_L 5 5.2k United Kingdom
18 May 2019 9:02AM
Trying to kill two or three birds with one stone. If I was to buy this to waterproof some garden furniture cushions will it also work on things like my camera bag and footwear if I put it in a spray?

I don't expect full waterproofing of my camera bag but being able to have the bead effect would be nice. It gets good reviews and people are using it on all sorts of stuff by the sounds of it. Or is this going to be a better all-rounder?

250184_1558166238.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
18 May 2019 11:25AM
Sad Cannot answer your question on the products you linked to.

But, can I suggest you take a look at Nikwax as they might have something relevant to your needs.

teepee 16 1.4k England
18 May 2019 12:24PM
Try this............Scotchgard Water Repellent Outdoor Fabric Protector
Tianshi_angie 4 2.6k England
18 May 2019 12:47PM
Having had a raincoat that ceased to be waterproof sometime ago and tried several ways to reproof it I was told by a 'outdoor wear company' that the waterproofing, once gone, cannot be replaced. I would therefore guess (but only guess) that you may well be better with the silicone brush on than the fabric protector. Not loads of money to try it anyway!
justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
18 May 2019 12:48PM
Another vote for the Nikwax products. I can't think of any disadvantages with spaying the camera bag with a waterproofing spray. I've sprayed rucksacks before and cycle panniers with no ill effect.
The only possible disadvantage with perhaps spraying some items of clothing is it might compromise on the breath-ability of some items.
Not what you're asking exactly but worth a mention.
dcash29 14 2.4k England
18 May 2019 3:35PM
18 May 2019 7:07PM
...And another vote for Nikwax...I use it for motorbike clothing, and on camera bags..not the cheapest stuff....but maybe because it works...!

Not so sure about footwear though.. think it kinda relies on being soaked into fabric..
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
18 May 2019 8:51PM

Quote:Not so sure about footwear though.. think it kinda relies on being soaked into fabric..

Nikwax have that covered for leather footwear with a cream Smile

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
20 May 2019 2:39PM
I've sprayed my camera rucksack before with waterproofing shoe spray - it seemed to help a bit in light rain.

I'd get the 2nd one as there is more of it in the tin and it seems more heavy duty.
GazzaG2003 16 365 England
20 May 2019 3:40PM

Quote:Trying to kill two or three birds with one stone. If I was to buy this to waterproof some garden furniture cushions will it also work on things like my camera bag and footwear if I put it in a spray?

I don't expect full waterproofing of my camera bag but being able to have the bead effect would be nice. It gets good reviews and people are using it on all sorts of stuff by the sounds of it. Or is this going to be a better all-rounder?

250184_1558166238.jpg

I use this on my carp bivvi with excellent results during some pretty rough rain etc

EDIT: should have mentioned this was directed at your 1st linky

Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
23 Jun 2019 9:49PM
Get yourself some scotchguard Chris, will do it all.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotchgard-Repellent-Outdoor-Fabric-Protector/dp/B00E7W82J8

Can`t see any reasons why any other that is good for garden cushions would not be good other items, guess some sprays need re-applying more often than others

I sometimes coat my tarp hat in Scotchguard, Nikwax etc Smile
24 Jun 2019 12:18AM
Just be a liittle careful though Chris (should have said this before) some sprays can be a little oily, ok for cloths, hats, but maybe not so good for garden cushions, you might be better of with something silicon based.
24 Jun 2019 12:39AM
Oh dear well that`s done it ChrisSmile

I`m very much into DIY`ing, lol vape liquids, beard oils, all sorts, but never thought of this, already checked out the ingredients on Amazon, very cheap about 8 quid Smile

Might be ok for garden stuff as well, think I`ll try it out on clothing first though and it could be good for gear bags

Chris_L 5 5.2k United Kingdom
28 Jun 2019 11:13AM
I ended up getting this one and ended up running out of things to waterproof before running out of the stuff! It's concentrated, so is dilutable and you can use it in a spray bottle or paint it on.
29 Jun 2019 12:59AM
Yes I looked at that one.

Ended up getting the stuff for a diy mix, went a bit mad on the beeswax though, thought I was getting two bars but order a kg by mistake Smile

Its a good job it was cheap.

This stuff will keep me in it for years.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.