Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

wearing glasses and manual focusing

fran_weaver 11 44 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2010 5:37PM
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has the same problem as me when it comes to manual focusing. I wear glasses and appear to have problems when it comes to manual focusing. I have adjusted the viewfinder (supposedly to suit my eyes) but still don't get well focused photos. Do you have any tips for me or shed any light on what I may be doing wrong.
One other thing while I'm here. I don't get many comments or votes for my photos and would really appreciate any honest ideas on what I do wrong and how I could improve.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have to shoot out in 10 mins to take my father in-law to the hospital but will be back ASAP to read all your replys (sounding hopefull)

By the way I use a canon 5D
Fran
Daffy1 13 402 Ireland
2 Mar 2010 6:29PM
Hi Fran
I looked at some of your portfolio and they all look fine and in very sharp focus. With regards to votes etc, I'm the same not too many votes or comments bit I don't mind because I know ALL my pictures are PERFECT , just that other people don't see what I saw when I was taking the picture !On the tech side what f stop are you using ? Are you using too large an aperture !!. You daughter in her furry hat is beautiful. Damian
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
2 Mar 2010 6:37PM
There is a viewfinder attachment that enlarges the view slightly, Can't remember the Canon part number.....Sad

However for detailed manual focus it might be of some assistance.

Others use an angle finder, Something like the Seagull brand, Will give up to X2 magnification.

Smile

Here is the Canon version, They come in various strengths.
JackAllTog Plus
12 6.3k 58 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2010 6:45PM
as a glasses wearer i often wonder the same, the number of times i nudge the dioptole dial thing when picking up the camera - grr.
My 400d flashes focus points it helps me check focus.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
2 Mar 2010 6:46PM
f8 17 9.2k 22 England
2 Mar 2010 7:23PM
You don't say if you are wearing glasses whilst manual focusing using the dioptre adjuster or not, if you are, are they single lens or multiple (bi focal/tri focul)?

Try without first,then if the glasses are bi or tri focul, look through the bottom lens to focus using the dioptre adjuster.
2 Mar 2010 8:21PM
Just returned from the hospital and am amazed at how many replies I've had. Thank you so much!

Quote:look through the bottom lens to focus using the dioptre adjuster.

Bit of a blow, I've just purchased a new pair of single lens (long distance) as I do wear vari focals, I thought these would help, maybe I should have gone for reading glasses Sad.

Quote:Others use an angle finder, Something like the Seagull brand, Will give up to X2 magnification. Smile Here is the Canon version, They come in various strengths.

I will definately give this a go!

Thanks again!

Fran
t_downes 12 279 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2010 9:21PM
Have you tried contacts. I had the same problem with glasses. But now wear contacts and what a difference they make...Tony
2 Mar 2010 10:42PM
I did give contacts a try but I'm afraid I'm a bit of a wuss and hated putting them in and out. Plus the fact that I also have an astigmatism which apparently they can't correct in contacts so they never actually felt right.

I think I'm going to give the viewfinder attachment a try so watch this space, who knows I might even get a highly commended!! and if I do it'll be down to you guys for being so helpful Smile

Fran
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2010 10:45PM
I have taken a quick look at your portfolio in response to your comment about votes. My first impression is that most of your photos seem to lack a clear idea of what you want to achieve/show, they are a little random. On the shots which do show an aim, your portrait shots, you have received votes into double figures.

This either shows that you are naturally inclined towards portraits or that, in more general situations, you need to give more thought to what you are trying to capture. I hope this makes sense to you.

As to manual focus, are your eyes still within range of the dioptre adjustment of your viewfinder? If so, adjust it and remove your glasses to shoot.

Keep taking photos, asking for and listening to advice and you will improve. Choose some of what you consider to be your better images and put them up onto the critique gallery. Above all, enjoy.

Ian
2 Mar 2010 11:06PM
Thanks Ian. I would probably agree with you regarding the random comment and yes I do tend to favour the portaiture but really want to diversify.

Thanks for looking at my portfolio, it's much appreciated

Fran
dlegros 19 217 England
2 Mar 2010 11:35PM
I know it doesn't help with the Wuss-factor, but astigmatism can be easily corrected with contact lenses, you need Toric lenses (I have to wear one to correct the astigmatism in my left eye, my right lens is a normal non-toric one).

Dom
Auntystatic 11 24 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2010 7:34AM
To adjust the diopter, leave the lens cap on, take your glasses off, look in to the view finder and depress the shutter button half way to activate the camera, look at the info bar in the view finder and adjust the wheel until the info is pin sharp, now mark the wheel and camera with tipex or something so you can put the setting back if you knock it.

Smile
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2010 8:12AM

Quote:Thanks Ian. I would probably agree with you regarding the random comment and yes I do tend to favour the portaiture but really want to diversify.

First trick is to take the same care over your other photos as you do with your portraits. Think about what you want to show, check composure and try to make it tell a story. Without at least 2 of these 3 you have little more than an impulse shot. Your portrait photos show you can do it.

Ian
whipspeed 16 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2010 2:36PM
I'm very short sighted, but for close work, I take my glasses off. So if I am out at a sports event, I'll auto focus and that's fine, but for macro work, I tend to take my specs off and maually focus using live view, as my very close vision is much better without them.
I did wear contact lenses, but find now that they are great for general wear, but I can't see anything very close.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.