Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Wearing Glasses or Contact lenses when using a camera - which is best?

javam 17 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2007 4:20PM

Quote:I can't answer this question as I don't wear either, but what I was surprised was one of the members on the shoot in Brighton was wearing his sunglasses while taking photos.

That was me.

As long as the light is good you can get away with it and it cuts down on headaches on bright days. No tobacco effect with mine, more like having a polarizer fitted.
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
12 Mar 2007 4:54PM
Cool, man, cool! :-0
javam 17 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2007 5:51PM

Quote:Cool, man, cool! :-0

I'm afraid the reality is far from it as I was shuffling round with soaking wet feet and jeans (having been caught out by a wave), almost bent over double under the weight of my kit bag.

Think the hunchback of Notradame with shades on and you get an idea of how cool I really looked Wink
keith selmes 18 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2007 6:35PM
I'm long sighted, and now have varifocals and reading glasses.
The varifocals are OK except with the smallest viewfinders.
That would be some modern compacts, and the very early Leicas which are very difficult.

There's also a slghtly different problem, reading the small print on tiny menus or poorly marked lens barrels, its a real nuisance if one has to switch glasses or get out a magnifier.
colin 17 697 5 Scotland
12 Mar 2007 6:40PM
Well, I'm extremely myopic (short-sighted) and have also hit the age where reading specs are a must. I've worn contacts since late teens and to help compensate, my optician has adjusted my prescription to help me get by without the need for reading glasses. She reduced the distance prescription on my weakest eye and boosted the lens to help me read at close range. Its not perfect, but in the main I can get by without too many problems. Subdued lighting is the worst. No headaches either, which was my concern. Ask your practitioner to try it out. You might be surprised.
Colin
Daisy_intheMill 17 145 1 United Kingdom
13 Mar 2007 10:05AM
Colin, that sounds like what I'd like to aim for. I'll have a chat to my optician about it.
gruppe8 15 47
13 Mar 2007 11:46AM
i have worn contact lenses for about 20 years, i first started wearing them as i had difficulty seeing all 4 corners of the viewfinder as glasses prevented me getting my eye close up....soft contact lenses are what i wear..most opticians will do a free months trial...so its no cost to give it a try...cost for lenses and chemichals is between 10-20 pounds...i would never go back to glasses after wearing contacts...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.