Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Web Sharpening

bfgstew 9 668 105 England
11 Feb 2011 5:27PM
Thank you fot that Swwils, much more informative and constructive.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

I think you need to replace your comma with a stop Wink
CathyT 9 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2011 6:00PM

Quote:Or you can just do smart sharpen at 100%/0.5 and get exactly the same result.

Is that set to Luminosity mode. ???..If so I have used that before but found for portraits its a bit too strong.

Would be interested to hear what sharpening methods others use for portraits.

Having a nice holiday Barrie...all over tan???

Quote:

Having a nice holiday Barrie...all over tan???

Already have one as it happens Wink but might not be topping it up after the sunburn last time (I know I know.... too much information Grin)
11 Feb 2011 6:10PM
Are you on the windy side??
That's a bit personal Grin Grin Grin

If you mean Gran Canaria, no. The Airport area and North can be breezier but the south around Maspalomas and Playa del Ingles is not as breezy and considerably hotter than the north (yet strangely, they always quote the temperatures in Las Palmas - the island capital). It's been around 25 to 27 in the last few days.

Apologies for going way off topic Smile
11 Feb 2011 6:13PM
I was told there was a windy side today....Tongue
User_Removed 6 1.4k England
11 Feb 2011 6:14PM
lol!Grin
11 Feb 2011 6:24PM
I think I could do with some sun...can you recommend a Hotel Barrie....something quiet.I.m more 'Sun, Sea and Sausage Rolls.'....my clubbing days are over.
Sent you a FB message Smile
Pete Plus
14 18.7k 96 England
11 Feb 2011 6:27PM
Thanks for the sharpening suggestion Paul, and Sam. It would be really interesting to see both tried side by side to see of there is any difference with our before and after feature you could then flick back and forth to see what happens. I know Paul's uploads of late have been outstanding so I know his method works. And I know Sam's a really knowledgeable guy - if still a little/lot (delete as appropriate) arrogant. So which one is best.

There's only one way to find out...
11 Feb 2011 6:27PM
Thanks Barrie...reading it now....sorry for the hijack lol
Pete Plus
14 18.7k 96 England
11 Feb 2011 6:28PM

Quote:sorry for the hijack lol

We've banned people for less Wink
arhb Plus
8 2.7k 68 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2011 8:33PM
Whilst I use HP sharpening for various processes, with regard to portraits, I have not considered it for web preparation.
After resizing for web, I normally use a low amount of usm, or the Photokit Sharpener plug-in, which allows localised sharpening.
It's always good to read about new ways for sharpening - moreso when the process works with certain disciplines more than others, so I appreciate Paul taking the time to share his processing techniques, and for mentioning some of the different uses.
gaelldew 8 319 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2011 12:11PM
Interesting post, but I do the majority of my sharpening in Camera raw with possibly a little USM in Photoshop after, which is the best way?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.