Exclusive Offer - 20% Off Mitsubishi CP-M15E Printer Bundle!

Web Sites that retain copyright

pgarwood 16 36 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2005 4:54AM
I have noticed a number of websites that allow you to post your pictures up for free. The rules often are:
1. Large files only
2. Your best photos only
3. Reserved decision on displaying on website by webmaster
4. Copyright belongs to the web site not the photographer.

Now I ask myself: Why would anyone want to promote a website that hosts large files for free?
Answer: Potentially these images are able to be be sold on commercially and photographers are not realising the problems they are creating by posting to such websites.
Any views ? Opinions? Ideas? Legality? What sites do members like to visit and post pictures on??
Anthony 19 5.6k 17 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2005 4:59AM
that sounds nuts, definately not a good idea, unless you are looking to give your photo's away for free.

Anthony
Burgy_Tog 16 634 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2005 5:03AM
Seems that more than few here like giving away their images for free.
klewis 16 1.9k 1 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2005 5:05AM
Like alot of places on the internet they are after the naive people who look at the world through rose-tinted glasses. If they had on the front page sent me 20 and we will keep it, someone would still send the bloody money!

"A fool is easily parted from his money"
9 Oct 2005 5:22AM
Thanks for the idea, Kev.

Just going to update my web site Smile

Jules
pgarwood 16 36 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2005 8:55AM
So has anyone had any problems with such websites at all?
What are the favourite ones people like to visit (apart from ephotozine!!)
klewis 16 1.9k 1 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2005 9:27AM
Anyone sending images to such a site automatically has a problem. They lose copyright! and as such any money made by the website by selling YOUR image is theirs!
Miles Herbert 18 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2005 9:32AM
Lol, I have a gallery on Webshots which I use to display my aircraft shot. Every week Webshots send an automatic email telling me how many views, and how many times shots have been downloaded. Usually I delete the email without actually reading it, but last week I decided to open the email...to find that these images have been downloaded over 10,700 times....now that is scary....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.