Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Website infected!!

toneb75 10 187 England
19 Oct 2009 2:26PM
It sounds like the "hackers" may have left themselves a back door to get in again after you clean your site (which is not uncommon). 1 and 1, you would hope, should be able to assist with helping you ensure that your site is totally secure, after all it is their servers that the hackers are getting in on.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
19 Oct 2009 2:28PM
Don't get upset by the gits or they win. It's a common thing on the web.

As Samwise says you need to protect your files which are probably being overwritten while they're on the server. Do you have an edit option from your server admin? Look for Properties/CHMOD in the menu. If so set the files to the safe permission option of 644. This allows the page to be read only.

If you've added scripts and programs that require user interaction, such as guestbook or comments, those pages have to be set to different settings. Instructions will be with the program/script .

Also as I said earlier make sure your ftp password is changed, and make it big and impossible to remember (numbers/letters/etc) so no one can get in via the back door.
kokobrown 16 1.9k Scotland
19 Oct 2009 7:46PM
Hey,

Thanks again for the advice!! Not really sure I understand this "server" malarky? Whats my server - god i really am clueless when it comes to websites!!

Changed my ftp password to something huge and just ridiculously long!!

Took my website down for the time being.

So the server admin? would that be like my account panel in 1and1 or something?

xx
Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
19 Oct 2009 8:33PM
a spot within 1to1 admin where you can view all the pages in a directory (folder) on the web. Usually there's an option to click on an edit option for the web page and make changes without having to download and upload again. Or if you use a good ftp program you can do it from within. I use FileZilla. I can right click on the file or folder and go to file permissions to change them.
Nickscape 14 708 9 England
19 Oct 2009 9:23PM
I've had exactly the same problem with my site this week, the index page was left blank so the site didnt display, after restoring a backup from a couple of weeks ago it tried to re-direct in the background and download a trojan, luckily the antivirus stopped it before it could install anything!

i think our problem was the contact page as we were getting lots of weird emails through there which looked like spam.

A major coding overall is needed i think before its restored.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.