Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Wedding Fayre WARNING!!!

Fujiconvert 17 1.3k England
26 Feb 2011 8:04AM
To all wedding photographers who exhibit at wedding fayres around Yorkshire & the Humber beware:
Around October last year we saw an advert for a wedding fayre at Lightwater Valley on the 27th March 2011. We naturally got very excited and engaged with the organiser about booking a stand. It was being organised by Ian Ward of Six Star Wedding Shows T/A Wow Wedding Shows. All seemed above board and we booked and paid for the Gold Package which included the stand etc and a free advert for 12 months in an on line magazine. The other day we received a rather disturbing email from Ian Ward going on and on about some problems he has had with his franchise and how it has been removed and that basically he accepts no liability for the cancellation of the show..... The upshot is that there has been some issues and subsequently the show has been cancelled and we have now lost our money. We have tried every avenue but ultimately we paid Ian Ward for something that we have now lost and when we spoke Ian became extremely rude and aggressive and basically told us we would get nothing!!!! Would be really interested in hearing from anyone out there who has experienced this also he is not a nice man and we feel extremely let down and conned!!!
DO NOT trust this man!!!!
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
26 Feb 2011 9:40AM
Couple of things spring to mind.

Did Wow Weddings ever book Lightwater in the first place and what are the terms of the booking contract?

Small claims court?
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
26 Feb 2011 11:32AM
From my understanding the only people who make any money from " Fayre's " of any kind, Are the organizers.

Your audience will consist of other trade interested parties, All eager to make a buck, Not spend it in your direction....!!!

Also beware of anyone offering stuff for " Free " there is always going to be a catch, As there is no such thing as a free lunch.

I'm sorry you have been done over Phil, No doubt this guy has done many over, Probably how he makes his living.

Personally I'd avoid weddings, They are over rated & over subscribed, Alright if you have nothing better to do.....Wink
Just Jas Plus
19 26.4k 1 England
26 Feb 2011 2:48PM

Quote:Personally I'd avoid weddings,..

Some might agree with you, Vince! LOL!
26 Feb 2011 3:32PM

Quote:From my understanding the only people who make any money from " Fayre's " of any kind, Are the organizers.
1 If this is the case why are they so popular?
2 From the last one we did we took 2 bookings which was well worth the outlay.

Your audience will consist of other trade interested parties, All eager to make a buck, Not spend it in your direction....!!!
See point 2 above.

Also beware of anyone offering stuff for " Free " there is always going to be a catch, As there is no such thing as a free lunch.
There was nothing free we paid good money for it.

I'm sorry you have been done over Phil, No doubt this guy has done many over, Probably how he makes his living.
I'm simply trying to stop others being taken in by these shady operator/s

Personally I'd avoid weddings, They are over rated & over subscribed, Alright if you have nothing better to do.....Wink
Frankly I don't want to avoid weddings as it's my chosen career.

thewilliam 13 6.1k
26 Feb 2011 5:54PM
Did you pay by credit-card by any chance? The card company normally has joint and several liability with the vendor for transactions between GBP100 and GBP30k but I'm not sure whether this covers "trade". It has to be worth asking!
26 Feb 2011 6:27PM
Unfortunately not no. It was by cheque.
thewilliam 13 6.1k
26 Feb 2011 7:30PM
Trading Standards don't generally take an interest when it's a business that's lost out. The police, even before the cuts, often have other priorities.

Before taking Ian to Small Claims Court, find out whether he has form. If so, forget it because all the Court basically does is to say, "We agree that Mr Ward does indeed owe you XX. You may now collect it with the blessing of the Court". Bailiffs have very limited powers and an experienced hand will generally get the better of them.

It's infuriating to pay for the Court Judgement only to find you can't enforce it. Far better to use a little robust Anglo Saxon language and move on!
Snapper 16 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
27 Feb 2011 12:36AM
Is this the same crowd? Looks like good advice on their website!
kaybee Plus
17 7.9k 27 Scotland
27 Feb 2011 9:23AM
If it was a franchise - have you been in touch with the originator and find out what the story is?
27 Feb 2011 2:20PM
They're both passing the buck back to each other. I just wanted to call everyone's attention to it so that no one else gets caught out. Remember their names and be aware and if you can spread the word.
DaveG_photo 12 83 1 England
1 Mar 2011 7:03PM
Bad news... thanks for the "heads up" Sad

Never had to deal with anything like this but, after getting ripped off by a garage I wrote to them (after getting good advice from CAB and my union) stating the legal side of our contact,and cc'd the letter to the Trading Standards..... NO ONE wants them on your case.

Hope you get something sorted out.
Dave
thewilliam 13 6.1k
3 Mar 2011 5:21PM
The snag is that Trading Standards won't usually help a "trade" purchaser.
wills2011 10 1
4 Apr 2011 8:55PM
Hi there,

I was very upset to see you have a posting on your site slandering me Ian Ward.I dont have to remind you that it is against the law to slander someone on an internet forum as P Silverman has.For any doubt I have had to take legal action against Wow Wedding Shows to get 5000 returned to me which i paid in good faith,when i complained about the company my franchise was terminated immediately.There is no monies left in the pot to compensate any suppliers as a monthly franchise fee took any profits they were.Lightwater with collaberation from Wow Wedding Shows cancelled my ongoing show to discredit my name,fortunately most suppliers were also friends and fully understood my situation.Mr P.Silverman or should I say his wife was not so understanding and continued to rant and rave at me over the phone,I was never rude or abusive.Unfortunately WOW are clever and wrote in their T&Cs that a refund couldnt be claimed if a show was cancelled their T&Cs no 26.If
they have since altered that I have a copy.

I hope this statement can be either posted or acted on asap,I was the sixth franchisee to be terminated in similar fashion since 2010,unfortunately as is usual it has cost me everything I had to take legal action against Wow,

Thankyou
Ian Ward.
jimthistle73 17 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2011 9:04PM
Can someone translate that for me please? I think Mr Ward is saying he's had the rug pulled out from under his feet by Wow Weddings. If I were one of the suppliers booked with you, I would expect you to have done your homework into the T&Cs before taking other people's cash, or at least to take the financial hit yourself....

Obviously, this is just IMHO, based on a thread on teh interwebz.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.