Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Wedding in York Registry Office

trivets12 16 1.3k
1 Mar 2006 5:29PM
I am attending a wedding at York Registry Office in October. Does anyone know of a nice area nearby where we could take some pics? I know that side of York a little, but are there any Yorkshire folk on here who could give some tips where we could get some good backgrounds etc.?
Thanks
Trudy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
1 Mar 2006 9:52PM
If you phone the registry office themselves, or visit in person, they'll probably be able to tell you the best places for photos.
UserDeleted 17 3.6k
1 Mar 2006 10:52PM
Trudy,

Attending or photographing ?

If I was responsible for the photography and didn't know the location well then I would visit near to the date, and at the approximate time of the end of the ceremony and pick my locations out based on background and lighting.

I'd also find at least two locations suitable for groups as I'm sure York is like every other and has one in the room, one coming in and one or two in the garden !

Mike.
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
1 Mar 2006 11:13PM
The Office at York has a garden at the rear, but is only a couple of hundred yards from both the Minster Gardens and the river.
trivets12 16 1.3k
2 Mar 2006 12:01PM
Thanks for your replies. Sorry I didn't respond earlier but have been in bed all day from night duty!
This wedding is a really difficult situation so I won't bore you with the details. I've been invited as a guest and I've also been asked ' are you bringing your camera?'
If I say no, I'll offend my husband and if I say yes of course I'll take the shots, then I'm allowing myself to be used. Families!
Frenchie, normally I would do at least one recce if I were doing the shoot officially, but we live 3 hours drive from York so I'm unable to do that, hence my question about locations.
This whole event is something of a muddle, sadly.
Trudy
Sardo 15 4
2 Mar 2006 12:32PM
Museum Gardens is beautiful and would make a nice setting. When you come out of the registry turn right and walk for about 50meters then turn right again. Another 50meters further down on the left is an entrance to the Museum Gardens.

Have a look here:

http://www.thisisyork.co.uk/york/insideout/attractions/museum_gardens.html
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2006 12:58PM
Hi Trudy,

I'm at a wedding in York in June. My Bride sent me the following:

"I just thought Id let you know that I have permission from the Dean and Chapter of York Minster to have photos taken in Deans Park (the gardens surrounding the Minster) if we wish."

I'm not sure just where the Registry Office is in regard to Dean's Park, but if it's nearby, it may be worth contacting The Dean?

Also - I bet wedding photos in The Shambles would be awesome!

I can let you know more after June if you like!!

Debbie
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
2 Mar 2006 1:01PM

Quote:I bet wedding photos in The Shambles would be awesome

Unless they were taken at 5am, they'd be pretty chaotic and rather crowded.
Wink
trivets12 16 1.3k
2 Mar 2006 1:38PM
Thank you, Debbie. I would appreciate hearing from you.
Regards
Trudy
Mark_Readman 14 922
3 Mar 2006 1:07AM
Are you the main wedding photographer or someone taking a camera along
Lets establish this first
UserDeleted 17 3.6k
3 Mar 2006 1:10AM
Mark,

If you read the first response Trudy gave back to my question you should have established that Trudy has been invited as a guest - but the couple have asked her (a family member) to bring her camera along.

placing her in the difficult position of technically the pro but from the position of close guest, and presumably doing it for free.

Mike.
Mark_Readman 14 922
3 Mar 2006 1:22AM
Oh dear, ok then my advice, leave the camera at home and enjoy the wedding !
BigCol 19 1.8k 1 Scotland
3 Mar 2006 1:39AM
Sorry to muddy the waters here but there's still one question that hasn't really been answered, though an asumption has been made.

Trudy is attending as a guest, fine we've established that, she's been asked if she's taking her camera, fine we've established that, but Marks question is still valid and has yet to be answered, the first part at least. Will Trudy be the main wedding photographer? i.e. do the couple have a photographer already and have simply asked Trudy if she's bringing her camera along?

The assumption seems to be that because Trudy's been asked if she's bringing her camera that she'll be the official photographer and this hasn't yet been clarified. I think.

Forgive me if I've missed something here.
UserDeleted 17 3.6k
3 Mar 2006 1:49AM
Colin,

I made that assumption on two grounds.

1) If Trudy doesn't bring her camera then their will be family problems.

2) Trudy's original question and the point of this thread was about chosing locations. Forgive me but in the many weddings I have photographed professionally no guest has ever taken the bride/groom, bridal party or entire wedding party away for photographs.

If Trudy is asking for locations then I'm pretty certain she has the main gig.

Mike
Mark_Readman 14 922
3 Mar 2006 3:29AM
over to trudy !!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.