Turn Your Old Camera Into Cash With An Instant Quote From MPB

Wedding Photographer what to look for?

hudster 16 166 Scotland
6 Mar 2006 6:53AM
I'm looking for a photographer for my wedding in 18 months. But after looking at about 10 local photographers, I'm no further forward.

What should I be looking for, I've looked at their portfolios, but in all honesty they are only going to put their best shots in there, not ones which are so so at best.

So what questions should I be asking?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

peter shilton 16 1.1k England
6 Mar 2006 7:04AM
Speak to someone who has used them.
sabretalon 16 1.9k United Kingdom
6 Mar 2006 7:09AM
You should be asking to see portfolios of complete weddings and not made up from their best shots.

Also in your conversations with them you want to try and get them suggesting things to you rather than them trying to get you to think about what you want. That way you know they are creative and that they can plan what they want.

Things you need to know are;

Coverage, what is covered within the package you choose
How many prints?
Quality of the album, you should request to see one first!
Proofs, how are you to choose your photos? I do know of some photographers that do not allow the couple to choose their pictures!!!
Are the prints done on an inkjet or from a lab etc...?
Are they insured?
What if they are sick on the day, do they have someone to back them up?
What if their camera breaks, do they have backup equipment?
What is their pricing structure for extra prints or pages in albums etc?
What is their turnaround time, how long from the wedding day until you get your finished album?

References!!!!
Chris_H 16 1.5k 1
6 Mar 2006 7:19AM
Make sure they have a variety of past work to show you and not just from one or two weddings.
Check if they are full time.
Check how experienced they are.
Check if they have an assistant or second shooter, using a photographer with an assistant can mean you get extra shots and will also mean the main photographer can use a variety of different lighting techniques.

Chris.
UserRemoved 16 6.2k 1
6 Mar 2006 7:41AM
Useful info since it doesn't look as if there's an EPZ member prepared to cover a Norwich wedding - and I'll have to find one elsewhere!
Mark_Readman 14 922
6 Mar 2006 9:16AM
Try any phone book, 230 photographers listed here in yorkshire under wedding photographers... blimey !!
UserRemoved 16 6.2k 1
6 Mar 2006 9:22AM
LOL! Know where to find any number of photographers! Prefer to offer it to an EPZ member!
peterjones 18 5.0k 1 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2006 9:41AM
As I have no axe to grind (I live 118 miles away from Norwich) go and have a look at my FAQ's on my website; you can find the address in my portfolio; I have a friend who lives very near Norwich who is a full time excellent wedding photographer; if you email me via the website I can let you have his details.

Good luck with the wedding.

Rgds. Peter.
UserRemoved 16 6.2k 1
6 Mar 2006 10:13AM
Thanks, Peter. Have emailed you! Smile
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2006 11:42AM
I would say it's most important to get on with them - they can make or break your big day. Make sure the person you book has a) taken the photos you are looking at and b) is the person who will turn up on the day. Have a look here - for people in your area.
Finally, don't forget that you need to be inspired when you see their portfolio - I aim to make my brides laugh and cry when they see their photos Wink)
sabretalon 16 1.9k United Kingdom
6 Mar 2006 11:55AM

Quote:I aim to make my brides laugh and cry when they see their photos
I hope that is with emotion Debbie and not like my clients, they cry at the result and laugh at my pricing!!!! LOL (just kidding BTW)
peterjones 18 5.0k 1 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2006 1:34PM
Mark, I have emailed you back; all the best with your wedding planning Smile Rgds. Peter.
6 Mar 2006 11:54PM
Visit the Master Photographers Association website. The United Kingdom's premier fully qualified organisation for practising full time professional photographers. All MPA members have to work to a code of conduct and their work has to be assessed before they can become a full member.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.