Save 10% On Used Camera Equipment & Lenses From CameraWorld! Use ePHOTO at checkout.

Wedding Photography & Flash

h4rsx 9 17 5 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2010 12:48PM
Hi all,

I'm going to a close freinds wedding tomorrow and even though they have hired a photopgrapher, they have asked me to take some additional photos.

Whilst I have got a feel for landcapte photography, I have rarely shot indoors with flash.

I have a Nikon D300 and an SB600 Flash (with diffuser). I was just wondering if anybody could provide some tips on maybe settings techniques etc that might help me get some better photos.

I sometimes see flashguns angles at rightangles, facing the ceiling, so that the light bounces off the ceiling?

Any advice would be greatly aprreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RipleyExile 16 1.6k 17 England
19 Feb 2010 12:58PM

Quote:I sometimes see flashguns angles at rightangles, facing the ceiling, so that the light bounces off the ceiling?

Yep. Just take into account that the light has further to travel so you may have to compensate by altering the flash settings. Also, be careful as the light bouncing off the ceiling/wall can take on the colour of the paint on the ceiling/wall. For example, the bride won't be happy if you give her a green tinge.
User_Removed 13 398 6 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2010 12:59PM
My advice would be let the pro wedding photographer get on with his job - offer assistance to him if you want but dont shot over his shoulder. I would recommend you take candids of the friends and guests - leave the rest to the pro.
NealWink
User_Removed 17 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2010 1:22PM
Very true Neal.
The first thing I would do is meet with the pro photographer and discuss what has been asked of you and whether doing so will get inhis way. I'm sure you'll come to an agreement.
What ever you do, don't as Neal says, shoot over his shoulder as most pro's hate that and you'll probably get the photos but end up drinking tea and coffee through a straw for a few weeks.

Good luck with it.

Gerry.
bangalicious 11 1.3k 5 England
19 Feb 2010 1:36PM
I tend to take candids using my kit if i am not main photographer with the 50mm lens. Angle the flash to the ceiling, or use direct flash with diffuser. You could also try using no flash, up the ISO and shoot away.

Anil.
19 Feb 2010 1:38PM
As an addition to echo the above, try not to shoot over the main togs shoulder. It is very annoying, especially if you are both using flash or he isnt. Have a chat with him. Most pros are more than happy to let you take photos after they have finished.

Anil.
ade_mcfade 15 15.2k 216 England
19 Feb 2010 1:44PM
take photos of everything the pro's not taking photos of.

no point duplicating his efforts

also, if you're a guest, you may know people there so have a better rapport with them - so get your mates doing stuff the pro wouldn't

If you you have a Stofen diffuser, put angle your flash to about 45 degrees and use ETTL - usually does the trick without dicking around too much. Maybe put flash exposure compensation up to +1, just use the histogram the same as you do in landscape work - you can't really go wrong.
19 Feb 2010 1:55PM
Thanks alot guys, thats been really helpful already. Grin

So just to double check, if i'm bouncing the flash off the ceiling etc, ensure that the surface is not coloured and no need to use a diffuser?

Angle the flash at 45deg with a diffuser?

or finally up the ISO sufficiently that a flash is not needed?

Thanks again.
19 Feb 2010 2:28PM
I always try to shoot without flash if i can which can mean bumping up the ISO. It depends on whether or not you camera is capable of shooting at ISO. If not, there are quite a lot of noise management freeware available.

Have fun, looking forward to the results.

Anil.
Scott_Scot 14 4 4 Scotland
19 Feb 2010 11:36PM
There will be times that you need to use flash, for fill in etc.
Never get in the way of the pro!!!!!!!
I shoot wedding for a living and there is nothing worse than some ejit shooting with flash over your shoulder. It takes time to learn the trade and set up flash to get a desired result. Then someone ruins it by changing the light using a flash gun in the same room!!!

If the couple really want you to take a few shots then wait until the pro is done then set them up somewhere else.
Either that or tell the couple not to be so stingy and just pay for a pro in the first place.
Why do they need 2 ?????????

Ok. Rant over. Hope it all goes wellGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin
Scott_Scot 14 4 4 Scotland
19 Feb 2010 11:39PM
Oh yea, ... and don't forget to use your grads if you are outdoors. You still want a good sky SmileSmileSmileSmile
20 Feb 2010 12:13AM
Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated Grin
FrankRobinson 9 84 2 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2010 3:53PM
Speaking from the opposite perspective, as someone who recently(ish) got married and hired an excellent pro...

Take the shots that the pro is not taking. The couple will have a huge number of shots of themselves and the typical wedding shots from the pro - for reasons of kit, practice, availability of space etc, your's will not stack up to that.

So shoot the details - flowers, silver, table settings, favours, tiny bridesmaids doing funny things, candids of the other guests. Those will help the couple remember the details of their day and you may well get an angle the pro did not cover - he/she can't be everywhere.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.