Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

Wedding photography - Struggling with price

Chris_L 5 5.0k United Kingdom
23 Feb 2017 8:16PM
Don't worry about the tax aspect, I think you will have spent way more on equipment than you are getting paid (if someone insists on doing the sums)

It's not your full occupation, not even close. You're doing it for friends, they are giving you a thank you gift.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
23 Feb 2017 9:08PM

Quote:Don't worry about the tax aspect,

That's what I thought.

In fact, unless he's psychic, the taxman's hardly likely to know about it.

I don't suppose you're likely to be telling him . . .

. . . No, neither would I!
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
23 Feb 2017 9:40PM
Insurance, tax, national insurance, death in service plan, ten grand of back-up equipment and a drop of blood for signing the contract.

Just another wedding thread. Wink
janeez 10 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2017 11:06PM

Quote:Insurance, tax, national insurance, death in service plan, ten grand of back-up equipment and a drop of blood for signing the contract.

Just another wedding thread.

Insurance wise it is in the photographers best interest to be covered for the day. Some venues now insist on seeing the policy long before the wedding. Tax, depends how the tog is set up re income, National insurance is no doubt being paid anyway.

Death in service, hmmmm, tricky one that! Do you do this quietly in the corner whilst handing over all your memory cards or be as flamboyant as possible in order to make it truly memorable for the couple.
10k of back up equipment.....may need to rob a bank beforehand but then that should be in the forward planning of the big day.

Blood for contract signing. At least half a pint is the least that should be given. A drop is never enough, they can easily spare that so leaving the contract wide open for cancelling at the last minute!
Wink Grin Tongue
Andy_Curtis 4 808 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2017 11:48PM
To answer the most pressing question..... I can't give any blood to sign in. I went to donate blood for the first time last week and couldn't Sad No luck finding a vein good enough.

To the rest, this is a hobby/part time thing, so I wouldn't be telling the tax man, why would I? They are showing their appreciation for taking pics at their wedding, by gifting me some dosh Smile

Anyway, here is the update, I gave them my price and the bride is extremely happy with it Smile That does not include prints though, so that is still to discuss.

I do not have a back up photographer, as such. But I am going to be asking a photographer I know, who wants to do weddings, if she would want to join me as a second photographer/ backup. She has mentioned before that she would like to tag along with me, for free. And the bride is happy for her to be there too.
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
25 Feb 2017 7:30AM

Quote:
I do not have a back up photographer, as such. But I am going to be asking a photographer I know, who wants to do weddings, if she would want to join me as a second photographer/ backup. She has mentioned before that she would like to tag along with me, for free. And the bride is happy for her to be there too.

All good news and I agree re. the taxman.
The second shooter idea is pretty much ideal.
You can organise, between you, what she actually shoots but whatever shots she gets will be a bonus.
I've been a second shooter once in a similar situation to yours and your assistant. The couple were friends and so qualified for "mates' rates".
My first task was to make sure that I got secondary copies of all the formal stuff.
I shot, firstly from beside the "proper" photographer but I also moved around, shooting the groups etc. from other angles. It worked very well.
My other job was to gather random, candid shots. I got lots of those at the reception.
There was also some fetching and carrying and I got to hold the reflectors!
Your young lady's working for nothing to gain experience, which will, hopefully, be a positive step for her.
I was paid 10% of the photographer's fee and picked up forty quid for my troubles.
She'll be your friend for life if you cross her palm with a few notes at the end of the day, particularly if she doesn't expect it.
Andy_Curtis 4 808 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2017 8:13AM
Thanks for the comment Smile

I said she'd be doing it for free, as in..... it won't cost the couple any extra. But I have every intention of crossing her palm with some cash Smile
LenShepherd 11 3.9k United Kingdom
25 Feb 2017 8:27AM
My suggestion is calculate a realistic price for the photography aspect, tell them what that is, and then say as they are friends you are giving them a discount as a wedding present Grin
That way you preserve sensible pricing of well over 1,000 for what is wanted and maybe charge 750.
The skill needed is way beyond that needed for minimum wage work so 20 per hour already mentioned seems if anything low solely for yourself. You then should add on overheads such as post processing time, advertising, tax and self employed national insurance, equipment depreciation, the occasional bad debt, pre wedding consultation and for this job a second photographer.
A repair garage charges far more than 20 an our to cover the overheads of heating, rent, preparing and chasing accounts, ordering parts, testing the vehicle after the repair etc:- because when overheads are costed in 20 per hour is far too low.
If your full rate for a job like this is less than 1,500 you are likely to go out of business or maybe you like to subsidise the cost of a wedding just like the bride and grooms parents usually do.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.