Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

wedding photography. how many pictures is acceptable / expected.

UrbaneMagick 7 172 1 United Kingdom
22 May 2016 6:35PM
Hi Folks.

How many photos comprise of a basic package for a wedding photograpy package ?

I've hit a niche market in this and am therefore wondering .

Many thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb Plus
11 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
22 May 2016 8:13PM
Probably easier to check out some websites of wedding photographers - see how many they offer, and use an average.
ChrisV Plus
12 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
23 May 2016 11:00AM
Surely it depends on the size of the wedding, the amount of it you're covering/package you're offering?

If you're doing preparation/arrival/ceremony/reception/formal/evening reception, it would need to be a lot more than if you were doing a basic package of celebrants/guests.

Make sure you cover what's expected and double/up shoot as many of the essentials as you feel comfortable with. Bear in mind however you are then going to have to go through a process of whittling down your repeats so you aren't doing overkill on the numbers. A sensible number of good shots will make a better impression than huge numbers of extras that add little or nothing to the gist of your coverage.
peterjones 17 4.8k 1 United Kingdom
24 May 2016 7:37AM
I agree with ChrisV.
thewilliam 10 6.1k
24 May 2016 10:20AM
The number of shots will depend on the length of coverage. If things like "getting ready" or dance shots are included, then more will be needed. It's only a matter of time before a photographer offers to extend cover to the consummation in an effort to be different!

The one piece of advice I'd give is NEVER to promise to deliver ALL pictures. You need to be able to discard the duffers.

One of my mentees did promise "all pictures on a stick" until one bride threatened to post some duffers onto Facebook and claim that they were typical of the standard. My poor mentee wasn't left with much choice but to give the refund that was demanded.
24 May 2016 5:33PM
Hi, thanks for all the advice.
I've done the shoot now, it was ceremony and celebrants / friends abd family only. 140 mile round trip.
I've deleted copies/ similar images and post processed the remainder and am putting on a memory stick as requested.
All the ceremony was outdoors.
ChrisV Plus
12 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
24 May 2016 5:54PM
Quick turnaround! Sounds like it went OK - hope it was a good experience. Good outdoor light always makes things rather easier.
24 May 2016 6:20PM
Thanks Chris, they'll all be outdoor only 😃
thewilliam 10 6.1k
24 May 2016 6:44PM
Thanks for coming back to tell us how it went. I'm glad it was OK.
24 May 2016 6:57PM
Thank-you for all your input Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.