Wedding photography- how to cope in church when flash is prohibited

ripleysalien 13 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2011 12:37PM

Quote:Sorry, but there's no Church in the land that'll allow you to use flash during a ceremony. It simply won't happen.

I did a wedding last year and the Vicar allowed flash, he also allowed me to move around anywhere I wanted, his only no no was coming between him and the couple, pretty decent ide say.
He also moved to one side so I could get the kiss shot, from behind him.
Nothing was too much trouble for him.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
27 Jun 2011 12:47PM
I've done Catholic weddings where flash was allowed during most of the ceremony with the freedom to roam at will.
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
27 Jun 2011 1:08PM
I'm hoping to do that at this wedding on Cov next month.

Obviously, being so light on my feet and delicate, no one ever notices me wandering around shooting in the ceremony Wink
PaulSR 14 511 England
27 Jun 2011 1:10PM
Some great advice there. i was hoping for the vicar to conduct the ceremony from the back of the church near the entrance using a megaphone. i dont really want him getting in my way. I will have a word and see what he thinks. Fingers crossed
27 Jun 2011 1:18PM
well the last one I did was C of E and I was allowed to wander around the front right area of the church, so you are facing the bride when they're at the front. Had a quick word with the vicar and she was very against a lot of movement around the place - but you can "usually" get a good selection of angles from that area up one side anyway.

the first catholic one I did had a priest was was into photography, so I could do literally anything!
User_Removed 16 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2011 4:26PM

Quote:Sorry, but there's no Church in the land that'll allow you to use flash during a ceremony. It simply won't happen

I shot a friend's baby's Christening and was also allowed to use flash.
scottishphototours 16 2.6k 2
27 Jun 2011 4:49PM

Quote:Sorry, but there's no Church in the land that'll allow you to use flash during a ceremony. It simply won't happen

I shot a friend's baby's Christening and was also allowed to use flash.

I was referring to weddings, not Christenings (where flash is generally allowed in my experience).

I'm amazed that Keith says he's shot with flash at a Catholic wedding - we'd be thrown out for that up here - though moving during hymns is acceptable almost everywhere.

Paul - re noise. Yeah, there is noise at 12,800 but its far better controlled on a FF camera than the one you're using and so gives generally acceptable results, which you won't get on yours. Also the idea of using a 50mm f1.8 and shooting at f1.8 is something I'd generally avoid. With the limited depth of focus at 1.8 you'll struggle to get both hands and faces in focus and that can be a real problem. Somebody's wedding is not the kind of event to develop your focus technique at.

I can only imagine that the vicar ripleysalien refers to was nearing retirement or related to the bride. He must be the most accommodating that I've read about...
27 Jun 2011 5:06PM
here's one at F2.8, focussed on the hand as Jase was putting the ring on. Their faces are both pretty soft - if you're getting down to F1.2 or even 1.8, the'll start to get proper blurry.

-mg-1170.jpg
27 Jun 2011 6:26PM
I wonder why they generally allow flash at one event but not the other. Both are happy joyous occasions (unlike funerals for example). I imagine that having children baptised into the faith is taken as seriously by the church as getting married there.

Quote:
I'm amazed that Keith says he's shot with flash at a Catholic wedding - we'd be thrown out for that up here

They don't want you showing off to the rest of the congregation that you've got electricity? Tongue
collywobles 16 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2011 9:15PM
I did a wedding in Plymouth Cathedral very recently and there was no objection to me walking around to get different shots with and without flash. In fact it took me back a bit as I had never had that amount of freedom when doing a wedding in church before....... Colin
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
27 Jun 2011 9:29PM

Quote:Yesterday we shot a ceremony handheld at 1/60th at f2.8 at ISO 12,800 - could you do that??.

I`d doubt he would want to spend a day down a coal pit, come to think of it me neither.

Quote:here's one at F2.8, focussed on the hand as Jase was putting the ring on. Their faces are both pretty soft - if you're getting down to F1.2 or even 1.8, the'll start to get proper blurry

You having a laugh Ade, you can`t sell that to bride and groom Smile
27 Jun 2011 9:31PM
I wouldn't be surprised if some churches have had a bit of a rethink of the rules since there's now more competition from hotels and other venues. They must have lost market share now that they aren't the only alternative to the council registry office.
27 Jun 2011 9:37PM

Quote:You having a laugh Ade, you can`t sell that to bride and groom

lol - cheeky fecker Wink

its in the book somewhere - not sure whether it's cropped down to just the hand or now, quite like their expressions though, there was a bit of a struggle getting the ring on Wink
janeez 11 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2011 9:44PM
I shot a wedding yesterday and the registrar was quite happy for me to use flash as long as it didn't distract the B&G. Great I thought but after a couple of shots the groom kept looking at me so I whacked up the iso and went for the grain instead. Still got some nice images and felt a lot more comfortable doing what I was more used to.
janeez 11 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2011 9:59PM

Quote:there was a bit of a struggle getting the ring on

Why is it that rings suddenly shrink 2 sizes on the day of the wedding! Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.