Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate

Wedding photos ...Any tips ?

yar123 14 26
28 Mar 2007 5:10PM
Hi,
I have been asked to take the wedding pics at a friends wedding.
They have pointed out that I am there as a gust and they expect me to have a good time as well.

Any way any tips on taking the shots?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RipleyExile 17 1.6k 17 England
28 Mar 2007 5:14PM
Search the forum and you'll find loads of threads on wedding photography with loads of advice and tips.
spaceman 16 5.3k 3 Wales
28 Mar 2007 5:14PM

Quote:I am there as a gust

Sounds long-winded Smile
Chrism8 13 948 27 England
28 Mar 2007 5:17PM
Make a list of the important shots required by the couple, I did this by going throu our own wedding album, have a good assistant, one that can call out the next shot from the list, and assist with passing equipment etc.

Get the formal stuff out the way before enjoying the rest of the day, Back up everything at least twice if u can.
Mike Gray 15 382 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2007 5:20PM
You could have a look here for some real help.
RipleyExile 17 1.6k 17 England
28 Mar 2007 5:20PM
I fell for the "You're a guest and we want you to enjoy yourself" line as well. Won't be doing that again, but then that's my experience. :-(

Take a backup camera and flash plus batteries and memory cards.
Talk to them before hand so you know what they want.
Check out the venue beforehand.
Loads of confidence so you can "boss" the other guests, bride and groom and their families around.
Have a stiff drink beforhand. Smile
Get the big groups out the way first then they can bugger off to the reception and you have less people to worry about and get in your way.
doug_7 14 482 England
28 Mar 2007 5:47PM
Don`t want to worry you but this is an email I received from a bride who booked two high class photographers for her wedding. I have seen their work of other weddings and I regard them as first class. Now she could be just picky or they have let her down in a big way.
I would advise you to meet with the couple and parents and tell/show them what you do and what it will cost. You just can not be a guest and photographer at a wedding.
Please don`t let me put you off, have a go by all means, that`s how you get started but if you are not careful your friend could soon be your ex-friend.
d.

I was wondering if you can forward me a copy of your photography from the
wedding on disc? I have to say having seen the photos from XXXX AND XXX i am not as
happy with them as i thought id be. Dont get me wrong there are some nice
shots but i also had some photos from family which were just as good. I
really would like to see what you took on our wedding day-infact everyone
has suggested that i contact you!
User_Removed 18 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2007 6:15PM
Hi Ray, I agree with everything above and would just like to add..............
I don't want to put you off and I'm not saying you can't take a photograph but if you're asking for any tips, then you shouldn't be taking the wedding photos.
There are so many things to go wrong and unless you can see them coming and know what to do straight away to put things right, I'm afraid your friends are going to end up with some snaps and not good quality wedding photographs.
Sorry to put a downer on it but you really have to know what you're doing and a degree in man management is essential. However, the No.1 rule is...........

.............for god's sake don't upset the brides mother!

Good luck mate.

Gerry.
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
28 Mar 2007 8:02PM

Quote:Dont get me wrong there are some nice
shots but i also had some photos from family which were just as good...

I can understand this. The photographer that we had at our wedding was brilliant - don't get me wrong.

However, the shots we still look at 9 years later are the informal(ish) ones that friends and family took.
Graysta 15 1.1k England
28 Mar 2007 8:42PM
Use the Best man & ushers to get people where you want them thats what their for,and they know most of the people .
afunkyname 13 354
28 Mar 2007 10:41PM

Quote:Wedding photos ...Any tips ?

yes take good pictures.
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
28 Mar 2007 10:59PM

Quote:Wedding photos ...Any tips ?

Yes... don't! :o)
User_Removed 13 1.5k 1
28 Mar 2007 11:03PM
just make sure you know how to control your camera and work accordingly. Dont feel rushed at any point in time. the people arent going anywhere until you are happy.

james
BrianSS 13 400 39 England
29 Mar 2007 1:50PM
I am in a similar position as yar123!

I took a lot of casual (& group) shots at a the wedding of a friends son last year. They liked what I took, and said many were better that the official photographer.

Their daughter is getting married in October and apparently she wants a "casual" wedding with not a lot of fuss. I have been asked to take the photographs! They know I am not a profesional photographer but do want me to do it. I like the idea of a casual wedding and I personally don't like to see group shots of everyone standing in a line. I intend visiting the location to see how I can arrange the group shots casually.

Does anyone have any tips on casual group shots?
ljesmith 16 1.1k United Kingdom
29 Mar 2007 2:04PM
Yes

Set up the group shot as any other but always take shots as the group is getting into position and just after the shot as they are disbanding, it's at these times that the group is most relaxed and I have had some of my best group shots from these moments.

Luke

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.