GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Wedding Pictures

Ian White 17 183 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2015 6:06PM
Hello All

So I've been asked by some good friends to take there pictures of there wedding I have agreed buy am a little confused as to the pictures that I can take inside the church.

Can you take pictures of the couple signing the registrar of the wedding ?, or am I not aloud to do that

Any help will be great thanks , Ian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.8k 36 Norway
9 Mar 2015 6:14PM
I suggest you hear what the vicar in that particular church allows and doesn't allow.
It varies very from church to church/ vicar to vicar.
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
9 Mar 2015 6:14PM
Very rare to be allowed to take photos of the signing for real. You will be allowed to set up a 'fake' signing immediately after though.
ikett 9 545 England
9 Mar 2015 6:27PM
Every church has different rules and depends on the minister, the best approach is go with the couple to the practice session and speak with the minister,
at least they know you are more interested than just doing a job.

And care about the ceremony, it's worked for me countless times.

Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
9 Mar 2015 7:09PM
The registrar at my daughter's wedding indicated that photographs of the actual signing are not allowed. However, he did set up a couple of poses which looked like the signing for me to take.

Dave
janeez 11 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2015 8:00PM
A lot of vicars are pretty relaxed about the whole thing but I would suggest a mock signing afterwards. Registrars are really hot on data protection as most registers have more than one entry per page although I did get lucky the other day as my B&G were first in the book so no problem at all. I would suggest you go along to the rehearsal and meet the vicar so you can discuss all the do's and don'ts. Some are very friendly and some dislike photographers due to some very dodgy practices. It is also the polite thing to do. I know most of the vicars in our area and have few problems with any of them but I still attend all the rehearsals regardless.
puertouk 8 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2015 9:36AM
If you have no experience in wedding photography, do not do it. It sounds as though you have no experience whatsoever, so if I were you I would politely decline. It's the bride and grooms big day and if you get it wrong!!! Ask the bride and groom to get an experienced pro in. Go to the wedding as a second shooter and take note what the pro does. Ask him questions on do's and don'ts. Try and get to a few other weddings as a second shooter to build up some experience and again, look at what the pro's do. Hope this helps
Stephen
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
10 Mar 2015 12:27PM
Rubbish, everybody takes the plunge at some point and over riding percentage of those will never have shot as a second photographer.

If he's happy and his friends are happy then crack on.
ChrisV Plus
12 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2015 1:13PM
As others have said, ask the vicar what he/she is comfortable with in terms of shooting the ceremony. Mock ups of the register signing are pretty much the standard - you aren't allowed to shoot the real thing, but the vicar/registrar will be used to a post-deed simulation and will doubtless help you out with that.

Have a look at a few examples of things you like and think about some shots you'd like to set up. Make sure you're well prepared - you probably know this, but it's important to have charged and spare batteries, cards with back ups and check everything is working. Think about where and when you'll use flash [it usually won't be allowed in the church during the ceremony. If you've got a camera that operates silently you might want to choose that [if it doesn't affect the shooting parameters too negatively].

Most pros have at least two bodies - it means you don't have to switch between lenses too much, but it's also an important fail-safe if something does go wrong with a camera. If you're being paid to do the job that's something you'd worry about, if you're doing it as a favour perhaps you'd be forgiven. I'd still advise using a second if you can [if you have to, borrow one, or at a minimum take a compact].

It's a stressful job even if you're fairly laid back, but it can be quite rewarding too. It's a good opportunity for anyone who just likes taking pictures of people. Good luck!
Ian White 17 183 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2015 1:40PM

Quote:If you have no experience in wedding photography, do not do it. It sounds as though you have no experience whatsoever, so if I were you I would politely decline. It's the bride and grooms big day and if you get it wrong!!! Ask the bride and groom to get an experienced pro in. Go to the wedding as a second shooter and take note what the pro does. Ask him questions on do's and don'ts. Try and get to a few other weddings as a second shooter to build up some experience and again, look at what the pro's do. Hope this helps
Stephen

Steven

Thanks you for your remarks I have taken many pictures at weddings and did all the pictures at my Mother in laws wedding, people have asked her who took them and don't believe they were not done professionally , So my question may have come across wrong, as I have never taken wedding pictures in a church I was just trying to get an idea of what the rules are .

Thanks for all the other help

Ian

Ross_D Plus
5 838 1 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2015 8:01PM
As others have said, it's very important to talk to the vicar first. It would be useful for you to attend the dress rehersal where the bride/groom and important attendees run through the wedding ceremony. This gives you the opportunity to talk to the vicar. The few church weddings I've done I wasn't allowed to use flash during the actual ceremony but this may differ from church to church. Also, of course you get to know the layout of the church and grounds. Also, work out a 'wet weather' routine !!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.