Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Weddings! Anyone using a 17-40mm Lens

Lucian 11 562
8 Mar 2010 4:57PM
I am considering getting this lens for weddings. It seems to be more reliable than the 24-70. I use a full frame body and dont know if this lens is going to be versatile enough to shoot a whole wedding. It is the ideal focal length for group portraits but dont know if it is going to be any good for half length portraits of people because i have noticed in the past that when using 28mm on my sigma 24-70 that peoples heads look bigger than there body problably because i am quite talland pointing the camera slightly down the way when i photograph them. i try to get a bit lower down to deal with this. it would be good if anyone using this lens for weddings on a full frame body could tell me if this lens is going to be good enough for my purposes. thanks
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
8 Mar 2010 11:03PM
If we are talking Canon 17-40 L, Its a great lens......Smile

Not however the first lens you would choose to shoot a wedding with a full frame camera body.....Sad

That would be the Canon 24-70 L or 24-105 L perhaps, Backed up with a 70-200mm L.

Now theres no reason why you can't use a 17-40 on a wedding, But on a full frame camera body, Anything under 50mm can create the lens distortion you mention.

For wedding, Think portrait, As a rule of thumb 80 to 90mm used to be considered a portrait lens.

17-40mm Makes a great landscape lens though......Wink

Now if your shooting weddings commercially, You really ought to know that....!!!!!
gary_k 16 75 England
9 Mar 2010 8:22AM
I did the photos for Brother-in-law's wedding 4 years ago, with a 20D (so not full frame).
I had a 17-40, but I bought a 24-105 shortly before the ceremony. That 24-105 has been my main lens ever since. On the day I only used the 17-40 for a couple of very wide shots, over 80% of shots were taken with the 24-105, the remainder using a 70-200.

So if you are shooting full frame, I think you'd be wrong to consider the 17-40 ahead of a 24-105 or 24-70.
peterjones 19 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 8:42AM
You can use a very wide angle lens on a FF camera provided you are aware of it's shortcomings e.g. don't make the bride's bum look big with a fisheye or there may be trouble.

Many experienced wedding photographers use a wide angle almost exclusively as that is their style so go ahead and use a 17/40 if you are experienced in wedding photography; if not don't run before you can walk and a standard zoom would better befit your purpose.

When I was with Canon I used the 24-105 as a standard zoom as I found the Canon 24-70 gave inconsistent results
KathyW 17 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
9 Mar 2010 10:27AM

Quote:When I was with Canon I used the 24-105 as a standard zoom as I found the Canon 24-70 gave inconsistent results

How so inconsistent Peter? I'm undecided as to which of these two lenses to hang on to, and just wondered what the issues were with the 24-70.

Re the OP's question - I would put a 17-40 in my bag for the very large group shots and a few shots of the venue or with the happy couple and landscape in background sort of thing, but I certainly wouldn't rely on it as the main lens. It's not the best lens for people shots at close range...One of the problems with a 17-40 on a full frame is that you will need to get in fairly close, so if you are trying to be unobtrusive, like in the middle of the ceremony, it's not going to happen...

My main lens would be 24-70 or 24-105, alternated with a 70-200.
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
9 Mar 2010 11:04AM
Kathy,

For what it's worth I have both the 24-70mm and the 24-105mm and I've never had any issues whatsoever with the 24-70mm lens, it's a superb performer and bitingly sharp.
I wouldn't be too swayed by the occasional bad report, I'm not saying that there wasn't an issue with Peter's lens, but as you know it easy for the occasional bad review to stand out, but what you don't hear about are the thousands and thousands of satisfied owners.
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
9 Mar 2010 11:07AM

Quote:It seems to be more reliable than the 24-70.

The 17-40mm is no more relliable than a 24-70mm. If you search the internet hard enough you'll find complaints and model to model variation on that lens too.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 11:13AM
The 24-70 in question is the sigma version, and it looks to have a higher rate of concern than the Canons.

I believe the canon 24-70 is rather like the 100-400, and on the latter I have seen a large range of performance variation, so you find people either loving or hating them. Not enough experience of the 24-70 to pass a judgement, but even I have seen variations in the 100-400. Not selling mine Smile
KathyW 17 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
9 Mar 2010 12:36PM
Thanks Justin, slightly reassured now Smile I think I need to get out there and test both lenses thoroughly before I decide!

Strawman - I hope I've got a good copy then Smile I've heard that the 100-400 can be variable... but heard the same about the 17-40L. I'll not be parted from mine, until someone prises it from my cold, dead fingers! Wink
peterjones 19 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 1:02PM
the Canon 24-70 has had a mixed bag of reviews; some couldn't praise it high enough others couldn't curse it more; in every case of damnation the problem with the lens has been inconsistent focusing which was the case with mine; it was OK close up but at any distant it was very hit and miss; I found that the 24-105 gave me no problems at all in terms of focusing; also the 17-40 gave sharp results at any distance.

In fact all my L lenses were fine except for my 24-70, maybe I was unlucky with a Monday morning/ Friday afternoon product.
rhody 18 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 1:12PM

Quote:Kathy,

For what it's worth I have both the 24-70mm and the 24-105mm and I've never had any issues whatsoever with the 24-70mm lens, it's a superb performer and bitingly sharp.
I wouldn't be too swayed by the occasional bad report, I'm not saying that there wasn't an issue with Peter's lens, but as you know it easy for the occasional bad review to stand out, but what you don't hear about are the thousands and thousands of satisfied owners.

Seconded - my 24-70mm is superb. One very happy user.

Faultless performance on a 30D and 5D. This is a very sharp lens indeed.
samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 9:02PM
The above advice is good, however if you are asking a very basic question such as this then you should be thinking twice before taking someone's money especially for an unrepeatable event such as a wedding.
fran_weaver 11 44 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 9:21PM
You haven't said if you intend to go commercial or if it's friends and family you're photographing weddings for. I agree with samfurlong re charging for a wedding you're not sure about the basics, however we all have to start somewhere so as long as you are using friends and family to practice on (as a guest and not the sole photographer) you learn by experience.
I did my first wedding last year and used my canon 24mm-105mm it was perfect for the job. I also used my 100mm which produced some great close-ups.
I have to say I was so nervous setting off for my first wedding shoot but the results were worth it and the couple now have some (so they say) amazing wedding pics to look back on. So keep asking questions and practising because it can be very rewarding.

Fran
Lucian 11 562
10 Mar 2010 8:27AM
I have started shooting wedddings for a living. I think i have decided on getting a 24-105. thanks
pulsar69 17 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
17 Mar 2010 10:45PM
I shoot 20+ weddings a year and in my bags, Canon 5D mk1 and 2 bodies , ef 24-105L , ef 17-40L, ef 50mm 1.4 ( for tricky churches and civils in low light ) and an ef 100mm macro 2.8 for ring shots flowers etc etc .. the 24-105 gets by far most use of all the lenses and as long as its stopped down a couple its perfect for the job. Every togs different tho and this is what suits me.

Best regards
Andrew

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.