Save up to ú360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Weekly Black & White Challenge ending 8pm Wed. 17th Jan. Steam, smoke, exhaust, breath

saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 39 Norway
17 Jan 2018 8:00PM
Time's up by my reckoning.
Feeling pretty exhausted, so just gonna pop outside for a smoke and let off some steam before catching my breath and looking through the entries.
Stay tuned.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 39 Norway
17 Jan 2018 8:29PM
Back again...

I don't know why, but either this challenge was uninspiring or just plain too difficult...only 5 entries, one of which was ineligible...seems to have been a trend lately both here and in the macro challenge. Perhaps there are still people getting over the festive celebrations? If so, that must have been one hell of a xmas and New Year!
In addition, I am having a case of wafflers drought. Usually my fingers can't keep up with the garbage produced by my brain, but today, my brain has shut down production and my fingers feel very unwanted. Depressed digits is not a very happy state of affairs, I can assure you.

So, rambling waffle over and onwards and upwards to your entries. Traditionally, commented on in order of upload - but yo knew that already, didn't you. You didn't? Oh, well, you do now.

Dave. No idea who Venator are, bit I suspect they may be some kind of industrial Corrilian? Anyway, Ti02 is used in make-up products, I understand, including sunscreens. Doesn't look as if they need it anywhere near that plant, at least. Dull as a schoolboy's brain first lesson on a Monday...

Peter. My dear, departed mum's favourite whisky, Laphroaig was. The smoke and the peat (as opposed to the Pete) helps give it a special taste, unique in fact. Now I feel thirsty...

Eddie. Street photography of street food. Why doe he look afraid of whatever it is he is grilling? He seems afraid it might bite him. Spare ribs with teeth...there's a novelty!

Peter (Monsieur). Have been trying to figure out the background object. Looks like the fabric of a sofa or chair? I trust you were wearing your smoking jacket to take this...do they still exist other than in old films? I think Hugh Hefner used to wear them...

Alsion, me ol' IL mucker. Whatever woulwd you do without all your props? Or is this what you use for lighting during the long dark winter to save money? Made me think of Wee Willie Winkie...

Okey dokey, another quick look just to convince myself that I have made the right decision...back before you can say weipjfoienvqeriuhvqeruhgvblxŠckm°adjksnuirehvewjvenkdfmvdv.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 39 Norway
17 Jan 2018 8:40PM
How to win friends and influence people.
No idea why I typed that, it just popped up in my head.

Anyway. The result. When I decided on this theme, I thought that at this time of year it would prove to be an easy challenge - if any challenge at all - but t'would appear not to be.

Two of the entries fulfill what I had in mind when choosing the subject matter - Eddie and Dave, so the final choice is between their entries.
Now, I am not sure whether Dave chose his entry all by himself, or if Mrs. Dave had a hand in the choice (Tongue) but no matter, I have decided that he (they) can have the onerous task of finding the subject for the coming week and the inevitable judging that follows.

Many thanks for all your entries, and may Dave be infested with a veritable plague of entries this coming week.
petebfrance 7 2.8k France
17 Jan 2018 8:47PM
Well done Dave and thanks for the challenge MalcSmile I'll put my smoking jacket and genuine 2Euro Cuban cigar away (couldn't finish the thingSad)
Snapper Plus
14 4.4k 3 Scotland
17 Jan 2018 8:49PM
Good shout Malc and congrats to Dave for a worthy winner. Maybe something a bit easier for this next week, though............. Tongue
EddieAC 14 2.6k 2 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2018 8:50PM
Well done Dave!! Smile

Many thanks for this week Malc and for coming up with an interesting theme too!! Smile
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.6k 1 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2018 8:52PM
Well thank you Malc I am truly honoured, as is Mrs D.
I can claim the entry for myself and the edit, however it was approved immediate prior to upload.

We will return shortly with a challenge for the following week after suitable discussion.

Venator is the Latest name for Huntsman Tioxide formally British Titan.
Been on that site for 45yrs or more.
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.6k 1 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2018 8:57PM
As the weather's turning even colder and snowy I shall endevour to find an indoor theme.
petebfrance 7 2.8k France
17 Jan 2018 9:23PM
Oh.....the background - an old camera bag, but the lit-up bit on the right is the table tripod bag which I was holding next to the ring-light (lots of hand-held stuff here) in the hopes of keeping the light off the camera bag (the lens hood kept it off the lens.) Unfortunately the flash was too weak, so I needed to use widest aperture (3.5) on the lens at 18mm instead of the original plan of using it at 55mm (max 5.6, at which the background was really nice and black but the smoke invisibleSad) - and so on. If I do that againd I'll use the 135mm which has a built-in hood, but it wasn't the ideal set-up anywayWink.
But there ain't no smokey stuff around here, it isn't cold enough for breath and car exhausts to stand out and so on......Tongue
cattyal Plus
14 9.0k 6 England
17 Jan 2018 9:34PM
Congratulations Dave Smile Thanks too Malc for your good work. Indeed I didn't think my attempt really fitted what you had in mind but there were zero outdoor opps for me this week and desperation made me reach for the candle Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.