Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Weekly IL Black and White Challenge - ending 8pm Wed. 12th May 2020 - Photojournalism...

clicknimagine Plus
11 829 104 India
6 May 2021 5:37AM
The theme of this week is Photojournalism, it has a vast ambit to include a lot of thing but this challenge will be limited to a particular direction...You have to record the impact of Covid-19 that resulted in a change of society from pre to post Covid-19 situation...in other words, you have to record the particular changes in the society you notice after this pandemic...

Wish you all the best...

Rules, for those who need reminding:

1. The challenge is just for fun.
2. YOUR IMAGE MUST BE TAKEN AFTER THE THEME IS ANNOUNCED.
3. The image must be uploaded in a comment in this thread by 8pm (UK time) on the following Wednesday.
4. Images must be B&W (or sepia toned).
5. Only one upload per member
6. The person who hosts is the judge for that week's challenge and the judge’s decision is final.
7. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week.
8. Warning: Don't try to do this at home unless you are facing lock down...
9. Have fun...

EddieAC Plus
16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
10 May 2021 10:25PM
28689_1620680446.jpg
EXIF

Environmental Selfishness

I had noticed quite a few times over the last year that masks seem to get discarded and do not get taken home for disposal. Surely they should be kept in case they are needed again or even worn until back home. Surely it is unsanitary to discard one on the ground, it could possibly have been worn by someone who is positive and be a risk to anyone who touches it like a small child.

It's not just the disposable masks but fabric ones too, see the middle image in the triptych. I don't think they are bio degradable, I tried to set one on fire for a challenge photo a few weeks ago. They seem to be fire resistant. I actually had to douse it in lighter fluid just to be able to set the thing on fire

Anyway some people seem not to care about the environment and possibly only about themselves. I remember the panic buying when the pandemic took hold in the U.K. No toilet rolls, Past and other essentials because people had gone out to buy in bulk regardless of whether the next shopper could find anything, One for one and one for one, the Musketeers would be turning in their graves. This doesn't apply to everyone and there are stories of people taking food to NHS hospital staff and others helping in their communities.

Humanity has survived many pandemics in the past and always will but the environment is the one that can kill us all, just ask earth's previous tenants the Dinosaurs. Smile
Welcome to Devon ... where even the dogs were masks. Not that we're worried about the forthcoming tourist influx or anything.

314095_1620737010.jpg
EXIF
petebfrance 9 3.0k France
11 May 2021 2:58PM
184684_1620741366.jpg
EXIF

No more room
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.4k 9 United Kingdom
11 May 2021 5:22PM
saltireblue Plus
11 11.9k 75 Norway
12 May 2021 2:53PM
128530_1620846587.jpg
EXIF

Covid fear.
Fear of the outside world. Although isolation is a strain on the body and the mind, the fear of the dangers awaiting outside the safety of the house is bigger and more real in her mind. Better the devil you know than you one you don't. It is light in her sanctuary, dark outside...
clicknimagine Plus
11 829 104 India
12 May 2021 5:18PM
First I should thank to all of you for your participation, it is a burning topic and I tried to shape it as a theme of this week, we all are silently witnessing many changes in the society...

In India, we are regularly hearing various news and stories that may hurt anyone's feelings...

1. Husband (45 years) recorded (3.00 AM) a video crying for help and oxygen, suffering from acute breathing problem in hospital, but no help came due to scarcity of oxygen, died (6.00 AM)...His wife made the video viral...

2. A family consisting of two adults and a 2 year old daughter, both the parents are infected with Covid 19 and unfortunately both of them are facing severe breathing problem, they have been admitted to hospital, but no one is willing to take care of their two year old daughter, not even their relatives, a neighbor come forward to take care of that little child...

There are so many like this, I wish you all the best and if anyone wish to post here, you still have a few hours remaining, I shall be back with the result tomorrow...

saltireblue Plus
11 11.9k 75 Norway
12 May 2021 6:23PM
We hear on the news about the problems India is experiencing, and I personally send you my sympathy for what is happening to your landsmen, Somnath

As for the challenge, it is a good idea to make the decision after a good night's sleep.Smile
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.4k 9 United Kingdom
12 May 2021 8:02PM
The UK news has been running quite harrowing stories from India. I have also heard from a friend in Kolkata, both he and his wife were ill but not too seriously and their teenage daughter stayed with neighbours. Our thoughts and hopes are with you and your fellow countrymen as this disease impacts your home.
EddieAC Plus
16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
12 May 2021 10:51PM
A work colleague who is from India and has family there came to work last Saturday and left early so he could watch his brothers funeral over the internet. His brother was admitted to hospital a week or so before after contracting the virus but passed away the day before.

I have many Indian friends at work and all of them are worried at the moment. They have family back home and message their relatives regularly but can do nothing other than that

What's happening over there at the moment is beyond words.
clicknimagine Plus
11 829 104 India
13 May 2021 5:25AM
Thanks again all and it is the time to declare the result...

Eddie... Very good piece of journalism complimenting with a beautiful triptych and yes it is a matter not to be taken loosely...

Andrew... Very well spotted, I don't know how much scientific it is for an animal to wear a mask but it may serve the purpose to attract the attention of the visitors...Notwithstanding there is no evidence of transmission of this virus from human to animal, recently in the Alipore Zoo at Kolkata, 7 Asiatic Lions are found to be infected with Covid 19...

Pete... An emotional capture of the reality, the ever increasing number of death gives a horrible sight all over the world, In our country, a lot of new burning ghats inaugurated and sometime we are getting news that there is a long serpentine queue in front of those places...

Dave... Very nicely composed shot, yes it is a tool to curve the spreading of this deadly virus but people should be conscious otherwise it will only remain as instruction, in India those instructions are everywhere but no one to care for...

Malc... Superbly you have done this, her expression is justifying what you have said, the border you have used is not black, rather dark red or something like that GrinGrinGrin...I don't know how far it is justified for the B/W Challenge, as border constitutes a part of your imageWinkWinkWink...

All the images are really good, and I can see, you all are talented journalists as well...A couple of images are my choices, but as I have to select one, I should say, the Winner of This Week is Eddie...
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.4k 9 United Kingdom
13 May 2021 5:45AM
Well done Eddie and thank you Somnath for the topical challenge.
saltireblue Plus
11 11.9k 75 Norway
13 May 2021 7:27AM
Well done Eddie and many thanks to Somnath for a very topical challenge.

I only saw the colour of my border when it was too late to do anything about it and viewed the image enlarged. It looked black viewed in normal size on my laptop....Blush
EddieAC Plus
16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
13 May 2021 9:10AM
Many thanks Somnath!!

I took a couple of images but as I was unfortunately seeing quite a few discarded masks I decided to make it a triptych.

Don't worry Malc, I have done the same thing in the past. Smile

I will post a new theme as soon as possible. Smile
Well done Eddie, I loved it when I saw it, a worthy winner indeed Smile

Thanks Somnath for a very relevant challenge.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.