50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Weekly IL Black and White Challenge - ending 8pm Wed. 3rd March 2021. Shadows .

2 Mar 2021 11:34PM
319198_1614727472.jpg
EXIF

I'm calling this one "Dream big"
AKA "Don't put your daughter on the stage"

I had great fun playing around with this one. Hope you like it. 🤪

If you're interested... used my mobile phone as a light source. Took two pics, one of an elephant ornament, the other of the little mouse. Blended the two. keeping only the elephant 's shadow from the first then manually tweaked the shadow to make it connect to the mouse. Convert to BnW, adjust the contrast, add some shading around the edges to create the spotlight look and Bob's your father's brother, as they say.
petebfrance 9 3.0k France
3 Mar 2021 4:37PM
Last minute (well, last few hours reminder) that time is nearly up. Lots of good images already but there's always room for more (not too many, though, think of the poor judge Sad )
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2021 7:48PM
28689_1614800698.jpg
EXIF

Eye Shadow

I left it late again and hoping that it would be a sunny afternoon today...........

.........Nah raining and overcast, soft lighting therefore no shadows outside so I decided to get some shadows going inside using flash. I therefore decided to use the subject of the last macro challenge. They were stuck into a block of wood and placed on to a white board.

I like the backlighting but don't think the shadows came out too well. I think I needed more space to get the flash further back. Smile
All my attempts have been rubbish this week so, thinking of the poor judge, I will spare you the agony of having to judge the mush I produced Smile
3 Mar 2021 8:02PM
OK, time's up. I shall go away and do some serious panicking.

Quote:All my attempts have been rubbish this week so, thinking of the poor judge, I will spare you the agony of having to judge the mush I produced Smile

That's a shame, your I usually look forward to seeing your images, but thanks for the thoughtWink
3 Mar 2021 8:07PM
To keep you amused (hopefully) some first (mostly silly and bemused) comments while I try to get my brain into working order. The judging is going to be difficult with such a great set of images.

DaveRyder: the statue. At first glance I was puzzled as to why you chose it, but actually looking at it shows how nicely the (light and) shadows define the contours of the statue. Nice cast shadow too, leading away.

Philstan: very dramatic, almost abstract pattern there with leaves breaking the blackness to relieve it in places. Yes, I like this very much too.

Saltireblue: also dramatic, with the low sunlight captured in the windows and strongly outlining the shadow areas. Good textures too. Is this early morning? Hmm, I like this too.....

clicknimage: marking a line in the sand perhaps? Contrast and composition are intriguing, and again the textures! Yes, like this one too!

Imageryonly: very nice, brings to mind shadow theatre which I'm secretly (but not secretly any more) fond of. Appealing dog as well! OK, yes, like this too. Thank-you for the detailed explanation, much appreciated.
Bluesandtwos: a fellow guitarist? Shadowing the Shadows is a great idea and I love the shapes and image overall (even without the Shadow connection).

mark2uk: not sure if you are new to the challenge or not, but welcome anyway and it's good to have you aboard. Intriguing image. Not sure what the addition is - a Bishop? A kind of allegory of a person with ideas above his/her station. Nicely done and yes, another good one. (actually, I originally thought the addition was a king which led to all sorts of silly ideas like king p(r)awn and so on)

PhotoLinda: as you asked, yes I do like it. Nice explanation (I can see that I'm going to have to be more adventurous to try and keep up) and your description indeed covers it - dream big and the elephant in the room will run away, which of course is terribly deep. Nice cast shadow and extra cute mouse!

EddieAC: those Eyes again! Actually initially I thought it was something like the back of a bench and a rainy pavement. Atmospheric with intriguing shadows, not fully formed. Another nice one.

Back soon.....
3 Mar 2021 8:32PM
OK, I'm back. Not easy, which is no surprise with such an imaginitive set of images. I pondered over them, reviewed them, had another sip of wine, discussed them with my 'better half' and would have liked to award a number of them the accolade of being the winner.

In the end, though, a decision: for the sheer strength of the image and its textures I name Somnath, alias clicknimage as the winner this week for his image 'Painting With Black.' Congratulations and over to you, Somnath and thank-you to everyone who took part.
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2021 8:44PM
Well done Somnath!! Smile

Many thanks Pete!! Yes, the Shadows aren't as sharp as I would have liked and I needed more space to get the flash further back but I quite like how it turned out otherwise. Wink
bluesandtwos 11 519 1 England
3 Mar 2021 8:44PM
Well done Somnath, a very worthy winner!
Thank you Peter for the challenge, the standard is definitely going upward and the judging getting harder!!!
Well done all. Smile
saltireblue Plus
10 11.8k 75 Norway
3 Mar 2021 8:52PM
Congratulations Somnath,an imaginative and very worthy winner.
Great to see such a variety of interpretations of the theme this week.
Many thanks to Pete for the challenge.
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.3k 9 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2021 9:00PM
Well dome Somnath and Peter for the challenge.
3 Mar 2021 9:00PM
Congratulations Somnath. I agree it was a tough choice this week but yours is a worthy winner.

Thanks to Pete for the challenge... I did have fun with it. And you definitely had your work cut out with the judging this week... glad it wasn't me. Good job you had some assistance (liquid or otherwise). 😉
3 Mar 2021 9:18PM
Well done,Somnath, a striking image, and also to everyone else, great fun again.
philstan 4 556 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2021 9:32PM
Well done Somnath and thanks for the challenge Peter - agreed a very intriguing winner.
clicknimagine Plus
11 798 104 India
4 Mar 2021 1:57AM
Thanks Pete, and thank you so much to all of you...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.