30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Weekly IL Black and White Challenge - ending 8pm Wednesday 19th May 2021 - Multiple Exposure

EddieAC Plus
16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
13 May 2021 9:34AM
New Challenge and after a quick ponder over things during my break at work I decided upon Multiple Exposure. This has the advantage of being accessible to everyone quite easily as most cameras seem to have this option now but also can be done in post.

Also the choice of subject is up to each entrant and the trick can be to make however many exposures used relevant to each other. As usual I have downloaded an example that I previously posted to the BWC group and show this below. It was two exposures, one of the bus pulling up at the stop for blur and one of the bus at a standstill. Both exposures blended in P.S.

The Rules:

1. The challenge is just for fun.
2. YOUR IMAGE MUST BE TAKEN AFTER THE THEME IS ANNOUNCED.
3. The image must be uploaded in a comment in this thread by 8pm (UK time) on the following Wednesday.
4. Images must be B&W (or sepia toned).
5. Only one upload per member
6. The person who hosts is the judge for that week's challenge and the judge’s decision is final.
7. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week.
8. If you are seeing double then you probably have a qualifying image.
9. Have fun.

For anyone who needs multiple exposure to the rules.....

1. The challenge is just for fun.
2. YOUR IMAGE MUST BE TAKEN AFTER THE THEME IS ANNOUNCED.
3. The image must be uploaded in a comment in this thread by 8pm (UK time) on the following Wednesday.
4. Images must be B&W (or sepia toned).
5. Only one upload per member
6. The person who hosts is the judge for that week's challenge and the judge’s decision is final.
7. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week.
8. If you are seeing double then you probably have a qualifying image.
9. Have fun.

SmileWinkGrin

28689_1620894707.jpg
EXIF
saltireblue Plus
11 11.9k 75 Norway
13 May 2021 10:39AM
Good theme, but I still prefer the original meaning of 'make mine a double'Wink🥃🥃
EddieAC Plus
16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
13 May 2021 4:17PM
It was the best I could come up with in the short space of time but I am mindful that it should be accessible to everyone in the group and while things in the U.K. are stabilising, and I think Norway too, India is right in the mire at the moment so this theme can be done at home.
saltireblue Plus
11 11.9k 75 Norway
13 May 2021 4:19PM
I wasn't knocking it, Eddie, just trying to make a joke out of 'a double'.
I also try to think of themes that can be done equally easily at home as outdoors...
EddieAC Plus
16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
13 May 2021 6:28PM
I didn't think you were knocking it Malc. Smile

There are possibilities there. Wink
clicknimagine Plus
11 829 104 India
14 May 2021 5:36PM
Thanks Eddie for this beautiful Theme, it kept me busy today to explore this technique, I have also taken a few images today using in camera multiple exposure and this technique I have never explored before, so i honestly think the result could be better, for that reason no upload yet, I shall try to implement other ideas in next couple of days...

A general question, if anyone wants to do it in photoshop, how far it is relevant to the rule 'The image must be taken after the theme is announced', in other words the base images might be taken earlier but the resulting image is produced according to the rule...is it possible...
saltireblue Plus
11 11.9k 75 Norway
14 May 2021 5:40PM

Quote:A general question, if anyone wants to do it in photoshop, how far it is relevant to the rule 'The image must be taken after the theme is announced', in other words the base images might be taken earlier but the resulting image is produced according to the rule...is it possible...

In my opinion, all elements of the final image need to be taken after the theme was announced, to be in line with the spirit of the challenge.
EddieAC Plus
16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
15 May 2021 12:05AM
Yes. Just as Malc says the images should be taken within the challenge date.

Selecting already existing images takes the creativity away and any learning curve along with it.

When done in camera there will be EXIF data for the time and settings the final image was created. When done on computer the EXIF will likely show for the base image. Smile

A little interesting tip. The image below I took for a double exposure theme and I based it on "Grip". The hand grips and so does the clips. Notice that I deliberately photographed my hand against a white background. This had the effect of confining the second exposure to overlay only my hand.

28689_1621033464.jpg
EXIF
clicknimagine Plus
11 829 104 India
15 May 2021 4:59PM
Today I can see the rules are written twice, is it the effect of double exposure or a liquid effect on me, I have noticed it now with a glass in my hand GrinGrinGrin...
saltireblue Plus
11 11.9k 75 Norway
15 May 2021 6:21PM

Quote:Today I can see the rules are written twice, is it the effect of double exposure or a liquid effect on me, I have noticed it now with a glass in my hand GrinGrinGrin...

They are written twice, and if the contents of your glass are working then you should see them four times!🤣
clicknimagine Plus
11 829 104 India
16 May 2021 11:09AM
16 May 2021 4:01PM
328670_1621176876.jpg
EXIF

All images taken today Grin.
I,too, have never tried the Multiple Exposure gizmo in my EM-5, and have found it harder actually done than read SadSad

If anyone can help, I would appreciate, but why does my combined image, taken in mono, appear in Mono on the computer as a thumbnail, but go bright magenta when enlarged?
I had to desaturate to get back to mono Sad
clicknimagine Plus
11 829 104 India
16 May 2021 4:13PM
Why you prefer to take an image in mono, if you take a colour image you shall get a lot of option and way to convert the image in mono at the time of post processing, the result will be better, IMO...
clicknimagine Plus
11 829 104 India
16 May 2021 4:21PM
David, have you seen this link , it can also help you solving in camera multiple exposure problem, if you have any...
16 May 2021 4:37PM

Quote:Why you prefer to take an image in mono, if you take a colour image you shall get a lot of option and way to convert the image in mono at the time of post processing, the result will be better, IMO...

Still experimenting Smile really an old mono man at heart, I still reduce my colours to mono, adjust and then bring the colour back, silly but it works for me SmileSmileSmile

Your link did not come up ?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.