Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Weekly IL Black and White Challenge - ending 8pm Wednesday 28th April 2021 - Subject/Background Relation

EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2021 10:48AM
New Challenge once again and I spent a while trying to come up with a new theme. It was only when I had a look through some of my old photos that inspiration struck.

The theme I chose, Subject/Background Relation refers to picking a subject but having something in the background either also in focus or blurred but which is related to the subject. I need not give examples other than the one you see below. It was taken two years ago at Combe Haven Caravan park in Hastings. After my wife and I had polished off a few bottles of beer I put three bottle lids on the table, set three bottles in the background and rested the camera on the table also. Just messing about but turned into a photo I quite like.

Your subject can be anything you like as long as it's related to something else in the background.

The Rules...

1. The challenge is just for fun.
2. YOUR IMAGE MUST BE TAKEN AFTER THE THEME IS ANNOUNCED.
3. The image must be uploaded in a comment in this thread by 8pm (UK time) on the following Wednesday.
4. Images must be B&W (or sepia toned).
5. Only one upload per member
6. The person who hosts is the judge for that week's challenge and the judge’s decision is final.
7. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week.
8. Have fun.
9. If you chose to photograph an alcoholic beverage like I did then make sure you remain conscious enough to trigger the shutter.

The Example....

28689_1619084774.jpg
EXIF
22 Apr 2021 2:48PM
I also like that, Eddie, now to get the thinking cap on Grin
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2021 7:45PM

Quote:I also like that, Eddie, now to get the thinking cap on Grin

Thanks! It's funny how sometimes when you are stuck for a theme inspiration can come from something you have already done. Smile
24 Apr 2021 6:18PM
328670_1619284680.jpg
EXIF

Tulip .....
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.3k 9 United Kingdom
25 Apr 2021 10:55AM
The sun is the source of all our power requirements.
Also 93,000,000 miles in the background.

253884_1619344555.jpg
EXIF
saltireblue Plus
10 11.8k 75 Norway
25 Apr 2021 12:36PM
128530_1619350282.jpg
EXIF

This was a well-timed theme (thanks, Eddie) as I have been splashing paint all over the place - and some of it on the right walls and ceiling - this past week.
One of the brushes used, together with a half-used 3litre pot of paint.
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2021 8:58PM
Well, of the two challenges the Mini has passed and the Mono is coming. Just a little bump reminder into the home stretch. Smile
clicknimagine Plus
11 807 104 India
27 Apr 2021 4:13PM
Awareness...

116922_1619535962.jpg
EXIF

A sheer lack of awareness during the 2nd wave (it is not an wave but a tsunami) of Covid 19, despite of 350000 plus new cases of infection daily and complete lock down in several states, there is no lock down in West Bengal due to ongoing election which will end on 02.05.21...people are dying without oxygen, there is no bed in any Hospital...people are still enjoying without any awareness...God may help...
A sew-sew entry from me this week..... vintage Singer in a fabric shop.

314095_1619614604.jpg
EXIF

The subject machine is 82 years old and still works very well. Its cousin that you can just see in the top left is over 130 years old and doesn't work so well; there's nothing actually wrong with it but the design was poor. The basic design of the foreground one is hardly any different from a new model if you strip away the plastic and electronics from today's product. A bit like cameras.

Andrew
petebfrance 9 3.0k France
28 Apr 2021 5:36PM
184684_1619627600.jpg
EXIF

"I live by the sea - Pippit."
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2021 6:08PM
Well just under two hours to go. I am just taking two rascals down to the park and then will have to give one a bath. Hopefully will not be too late. Smile
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2021 8:54PM
Okay Time is more than up now. I will now have a look at the entries and come to a decision as soon as.
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2021 10:06PM
Okay, back again with a decision finally made and not an easy one at that. First as now customary a few words about each entry.

David (Imageryonly) - A nice take on the theme with a Tulip leaf as the subject and it's own opposite leaf along with the stamen as the background. Nice high key image.

Dave (Ryder) - A powerful and well thought out idea. Two definite sources of power and humans take both for granted. We can survive without one but not the other. Nice silhouette on the main subject.

Malc - Two challenges and two birds with one stone. Nice composition with the brush and out of focus pot of paint.

Somnath - Yet another well seen candid image and reflecting current events as well. One can't help but think of what is going on over your way in India. When things got to their worst in the U.S.A it was described as a humanitarian disaster. What is happening there is beyond imagination. I have many friends from India at work and perhaps one on this site. I hope god will help and that other countries continue to send aid. You all will get through this.

Andrew - Some memories to be had here and I recall my mums sewing machine years ago when my age was in single digits and sometimes watching her using it with fascination. I also used to sit in front of the washing machine for a full cycle as well when I was four. It's nice that you have kept both subject and background relatives and they are in working and relatively working order.

Pete - A nice image of our natural world with the birds and their domain and pleasant depth of field effect.

Okay now judgement time and six images each worthy in their own way for the top step of the podium but after much deliberation and reviewing the images and re-reviewing the images while typing this I am going to have to go for Malc's brush and paint pot. Is the second coat yet to be applied?

So well done to Malc and many thanks to everyone for taking part this week. Smile
petebfrance 9 3.0k France
28 Apr 2021 11:11PM
Well done Malc and thanks for the challenge EddieSmile
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.3k 9 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2021 3:07AM
Well done Malc and thanks for the weeks entertainment Eddie.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.