Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Weekly IL Black and White Challenge - Ending 8pm Wednesday 4th August 2021 - This Summer

petebfrance 9 3.1k France
28 Jul 2021 9:25PM
Today we thought we'd go for a quiet stroll on the beach. Yes, it's a nice seaside place, but we weren't prepared for the wall-to-wall traffic no doubt engendered by the travel resrictions. Lots of people taking their hols at home - or at least closer to home than usual. Not a lot of jetting off to exotic places and here, a small and possibly the most westerly resort in France, is jam-packed whereas in previous years things were very different.
So for this weeks challenge I am looking for shots that reflect how the pandemic has impacted people's summer this year.

The rules...

1. The challenge is just for fun.
2. YOUR IMAGE MUST BE TAKEN AFTER THE THEME IS ANNOUNCED.
3. The image must be uploaded in a comment in this thread by 8pm (UK time) on the following Wednesday.
4. Images must be B&W (or sepia toned).
5. Only one upload per member
6. The person who hosts is the judge for that week's challenge and the judge’s decision is final.
7. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week.
8. Have fun.
9. Hmm - can't think of anything amusing to say, really, except perhaps it's a good opportunity to share your holiday snaps!

Oh, and the example:
184684_1627503861.jpg
EXIF
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.7k 13 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2021 2:44PM
Costa Del Seaton Carew

253884_1627739073.jpg
EXIF
2 Aug 2021 11:32AM
OK, now that the Macro Challenge has gone temporarily quiet, it's time to get back to some good old B&W. Remember, 'I am looking for shots that reflect how the pandemic has impacted people's summer this year,' to quote the original post. Time to get the Leicas out loaded with some Tri X Wink - or whatever it was, I've forgottenSad
clicknimagine Plus
11 879 105 India
2 Aug 2021 12:29PM
I have mistaken with the theme, now I am trying another one, if possible as I am currently on a tour, and my humble request to Malc, can you please delete the first one...
clicknimagine Plus
11 879 105 India
3 Aug 2021 2:23AM
A Glimpse of Mt. Kanchanjunga...

It was impossible to view from that far but after lockdown due to the pandemic, nature has been reinstated at the purest form...we are so lucky to see the glimpse of Mt. Kanchanjunga (2nd highest in the world) even from this small village...

116922_1627953830.jpg
EXIF
saltireblue Plus
11 12.2k 76 Norway
3 Aug 2021 3:22PM
View large for better detail...
This is the view which epitomizes the summer I have experienced. It is a pano view of what I see when I go out on my terrace - straight down the valley to the fjord in the distance. Because of Covid, everything has been closed most of the time, and because of my wife's underlying health problems, we have hardly been anywhere at all. I daren't go out on my own for fear of bringing home the virus to her...
Much as I love this sight, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing...I've had down periods before, but never one that has lasted this long...
128530_1628000488.jpg
EXIF
EddieAC 16 3.2k 2 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2021 10:11PM
28689_1628024370.jpg
EXIF

Homegrown Holidays

I would say that one way the pandemic has affected summer is to encourage more people to take a holiday at home rather than go abroad. Not so much my family as we usually take our vacations in the good old U.K. but others may have decided against going overseas especially if you have to isolate upon return.

Caravans also remind me of summer as my parents bought a caravan back in the 1980's and we would drive to Winchelsea Beach, Sussex and holiday there. Some good holiday memories in caravans.

I sneaked a couple of photos of this caravan parked on someone's driveway and as quick as I was I still got photobombed by this cat. Smile
clicknimagine Plus
11 879 105 India
4 Aug 2021 5:07PM
Where is the result my friend...
clicknimagine Plus
11 879 105 India
4 Aug 2021 5:34PM

Quote:Where is the result my friend...

Oh...my God, I have already forgotten that today is Wednesday...I thought ThursdayBlushTongueGrin...
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.7k 13 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2021 6:01PM

Quote:

Oh...my God, I have already forgotten that today is Wednesday...I thought ThursdayBlushTongueGrin...

Welcome to my world. I've put colour macro in B&W challenge before now - or was it the other way around 🗓🗓😂🤣
4 Aug 2021 7:56PM

Quote:

I've done that often enoughSad
4 Aug 2021 8:02PM
OK, folks, time's up. Here's one I prepared earlier, as they say (or used to say?) on Blue Peter:

Interesting selection of viewpoints and great images on what is probably the nicest of subjects. Apologies for that. A few comments before I try to unravel who is the poor fellow - I mean, lucky fellow - who will do next week's challenge.

DaveRyder - Costa Del Seaton Carew: well, I've never heard of the place, but having looked it up understand a bit better! Hols at home, no jetting of to the Costa Del Sol so perhaps the local sea-side resort and it's own special entertainment. Not sure that I fancy it, though....

Clicknimagine - A Glimpse of Mt. Kanchanjunga... : Yes, the earth breathes a sigh of relief with the reduction in polution. A positive view of the effects of the pandemic and a reminder of what mankind (including me, I suppose) has been guilty of.

Saltireblue - panoramic view: I can sympathise here - our outings have been curtailed, well, stopped really (we didn't walk on the beach, too many unmasked people about), because neither of us tbh is probably in a good enough state to be sure of surviving the bug. 2nd year, too. I think there are many people in the same position, but the 'look but don't touch' is especially frustrating!

EddieAC - Homegrown Holidays: Interesting - I was reading an article on how motor caravan (called 'camping cars' here) sales have boomed this year in France, the theory being that families travel and live in their 'own bubble.' How on earth did you manage to persuade the cat to pose there?

So thanks for these, now of course I have to go and deliberate (and then ask SWMBO). Will be back soon.
EddieAC 16 3.2k 2 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2021 8:24PM

Quote: How on earth did you manage to persuade the cat to pose there?

I set up the exposure in manual mode so I could get a quick photo. The cat was nowhere to be seen but as soon as I got into position and framed up he Just strutted into view and sat where I captured him. Probably quite happy to have his image captured like a certain black cat we were often treated to viewing.
4 Aug 2021 9:04PM
Back again - difficult, but the decision is made (and approved) that the winner is EddieAC with his caravan and cat. Over to you Eddie for next week's challenge and thanks to everyone who took part.
4 Aug 2021 9:05PM

Quote:
Quote: How on earth did you manage to persuade the cat to pose there?

I set up the exposure in manual mode so I could get a quick photo. The cat was nowhere to be seen but as soon as I got into position and framed up he Just strutted into view and sat where I captured him. Probably quite happy to have his image captured like a certain black cat we were often treated to viewing.

.....and cat photos are always popularWink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.